MMA I got my ass kicked tonight. And this time it wasn't fun.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Antigeek, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Before we go any further, I'll just say I'm a horrible boxer. And by horrible, I mean never boxed before, except for a couple of no-gi classes where we gloved up for a round or 2.

And I got paired up with a guy who's got a 4 inch height advantage, 40 lb weight advantage, corresponding reach advantage, and is only a terrible boxer. With either no control, or a HUGE chip on his shoulder... Not sure which. This guy has injured another student who was a high school kid. He was on crutches for a couple weeks (got carried away with an ankle lock) and hasn't been back.

Right before we started, our instructor said go as hard as you want your opponent to go. I assumed that meant don't swing for the fences unless you're ready to get tagged.

Well... He swung for the fences while I was jabbing at maybe 40-50% power. I ate two bodyshots that left me unable to breathe, took a cross to the face that's got my nose hurting (with 16 oz. gloves and headgear), and a busted lip (while wearing a mouthpiece). And since I'm such a shitty boxer, I really couldn't do much other than stay out of his range and circle. But of course, I got hit a couple times and against my better judgement decided to try to close the gap and hit him back. Which just got me hit again.

And then to make matters worse, after that round, I got paired with the 17 year old kid who's a foot taller than me, substantially heavier, and has some sort of retard strength with zero control. I bowed out after about 20 seconds of watching him try to punch as hard as he could.

Then I left.

Grabbed my gloves, shoved my mouthpiece in one, my headgear, my bag, and my sandals and just threw it all in the truck and left.

I've been doing some sort of martial arts since I was 18 years old with a couple breaks here and there (I'm 35 now). I've sparred with people who are much bigger than me (cheeseburger.jpg), much more experienced than me, much quicker/faster/stronger than me, and have never gotten teed off on like I did tonight. I've taken punches, heel kicks (got a great video of me blocking one with my face), throws, hard roundhouse kicks, front kicks under the jaw, etc., but never had someone so blatantly just knock me around before. And also never been so pissed about something in a class before.

I should have elbowed that fuck when I clinched up with him.

2. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Some people need to learn some self control people like that in the gym piss me off but we usually put them with Steve (national freestyle champ and #2 greco) with the instructions to cause them some pain most either have a big cry and never come back or a big ego/attitude adjustment.

3. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

seems like your fellow students fucking suck at this respect thing

4. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

yay for shitty training partners. didn't your instructor notice the disparity in skill/size? so that they could at least make an appropriate judgement as to how you should spar. and fuck that, if i saw some kid get the shit kicked outta him, i'd seriously reconsider where you train. Rough deal mang, i hate fighting with mat spazzes as well, but shit this would have pissed me right off.

5. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I don't see the point of two noobs doing 100% sparring. No matter who wins, neither really learns anything useful and there is bound to be injuries.

6. Titus

Titus New Member

. he should have been paired with someone who knew what they're doing and with some sort of control. no one learns anything by just swinging wildly at each other.

7. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

:werd:

I've gotten paired with newbies in TKD more times than I can count and all I did sparring with them was throw combos at them that they had seen, at about 50% power. I didn't need to knock them around the room to prove I was better than them.

I'd been thinking about changing schools anyway... I've probably made my mind up now.

8. miek

miek New Member

Same thing happened with a guy that came into out gym a little while ago (we do jiu-jitsu). The guy was very well built and very flexible, so he had some good potential, but he had the biggest attitude ever. One class he seriously almost ripped someone's arm off, so one of the purple belts went and threw on a white one and asked this guy if he wanted to roll. Being the hot shot he is, he quickly obliged thinking he was going to kick some ass... :rofl: he hasn't been back since.

9. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

always say what % before you get in and spar. EVERY TIME i step in the ring i say what % speed and what % power. Usually We go 80 speed 20 power. No point in trying to kill the guy, learning to defend, counter, and attack at real speed is the important lesson. That, and like you I am FAR smaller than most of my partners. So if we go 100% there is no way I can compete cause all they have to do is cover and throw and the weight advantage will break me down over time.

learning lesson, say the %, and if they are throwing too hard speak up and say something. its better than getting hurt.

10. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

Classic!!!

Taught him a lesson though

11. Bausk

Bausk New Member

And if someone gets out of control, tell them to chill the fuck out.

12. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

:werd:

Even the guys who are a lot bigger/stronger/better than me make rolling bearable for me when we do end up rolling. Nobody gets anything out of you being an asshole going 100% when I'm there, 40 lbs lighter, doing my best.

13. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Sounds kind of like a crappy instructor/school. No reason for two relative beginners to be going at it anywhere close to 100% in sparring... Winging sloppy punches as hard as you can is not going to teach you much about doing it right....

14. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Part of me wants to go back and do a Babalu to the guy the next time we roll, and part of me wants to say fuck it, eat the last month on my contract, and go ahead and sign up at Gracie-Barra immediately.

15. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i'd find a new place to train, dumb asses are everywhere but your instructor must be a fucking retard if he's not noticing his retards swinging for the fences all the time. I'd call the instructor out for not controlling his students, injuires happen of course but they should happen due to accidents not dipshits going 100% in training for no reason, i wouldn't stick around at that place and wait for some ass hole to unexpectedly go 100% and fuck up a leg or arm et

16. Placebo

Placebo New Member

We kick people out of the gym that pull that type of shit.

Or just pair them with one of our mma guys.

There's no place for that at all. Can only lead to bad technique, bad attitudes, and injuries.

17. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

then you can do a Babalu and leave Gracie-Barra :eek5:

18. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Babalu sounds tempting, but ultimately a dick move.

19. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

I don't agree that its a dick move. Thats the only way some people learn.

This dude in my old bjj class for example. Super nice guy, but no control at all while rolling. He fucked up my arm once, and I told him to chill the fuck out. Did it again to someone else, the instructor checked him. Finally did it to the wrong dude...guy got pissed, and didn't say anything just guillotined the fuck out of him. The guy was out for a few weeks with a strained neck, but when he came back he had figured it out.

I'm not saying you should do that to everyone who goes a little too hard rolling or sparring, but if someone does it consistently and hurts people and doesn't stop when he's talked to, you gotta do something.

20. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Very true. I remember when I first started training, they didn't let me spar with anyone but the instructors for the first few months. They would go light, pepper me a little, and leave openings for me to try to exploit. Eventually when they felt that I had enough control, they let me spar other students.