MMA I got armbarred, and something popped

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by n99nyrwg, Sep 13, 2006.

1. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

Long story short, I got armbarred while sparring and my opponent didn't ease into it, so it gave me no time to tap. There were 3 pops in my elbow, it felt and sounded similar to when you crack your neck or back. It didn't hurt at all for about 2hrs, then it started to get sore. It only really hurts if I fully extend my arm or if I fully compress it, but I still have full range of motion.

I've been iceing it as much as possible (20mins at a time) and trying not to aggrivate it. I've got BJJ again tomorrow, so I was wondering what your input is on this since I'm sure some of you have had it happen before. What I mean is, does it sound like something serious?

2. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I've had that happen, with and without the popping (soreness). Ice it, and take it easy... be sure to tell your sparring partners to try to be easy on that joint for a little while.

Otherwise it's pretty normal. Stuff like that is going to happen in BJJ.

If it stays bad for a while then maybe get it looked at.

3. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

Ok, that's what I figured. I'm not being a baby about it, I just don't want to fuck it up enough where I'll have to take a month or something ridiculous off.

Thanks for the help.

4. HumungusMMA

HumungusMMA Guest

tearing like you're ripping a cloth is the sound you should be worried about.

5. xinster

xinster New Member

i did that to a big guy yesterday. He said it felt like when u crack your knuckle. my instructor said "Close, too close. ease up"

6. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

especially as a white belt your elbows are always going to be sore. fortunately they tend to heal up really well. knees on the other hand...

7. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

Yeah, that's how I'd describe it too.

Thanks for the help guys. It's feeling better as the day (and icing) goes on.

8. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Happened to me like last week against one of my instructors, my arm feels fine now.

If it worsens, go to a doctor asap.

9. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

Back when it happened to me the instructor said three pops usually meant broken. Mine just popped once, but it's never quite been the same. Hurt for a long time when it happened. I worry a little every time I spar now that it'll happen again.

10. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

Luckily it's feeling a lot better already, otherwise this post would have scared me. I know it's not broken though, as high as i'd like to claim my pain tolerance is, it's not that high.

Before it was hurting just to fully extend it, now it really only hurts if I have it in a Kimura position...which hopefully won't happen later tonight.

Thanks again guys.

11. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

WOW. Messing around at work, I literally just did the same thing to my friend today. He's ok though, at least...I think.