GUN I got another Sig... P220R

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jeepilot, Jan 20, 2009.

1. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Well I finally got my CT pistol permit, which allows you to carry and buy pistols in the state of CT. Messed up compared to Missouri, where I moved from, but I gotta make money. After waiting about a month longer than it should have been, I got my temp permit, and went to the state police barracks and got my permanent in less than 5 minutes.

With fresh permit in hand, I headed straight to the gun store. I had a few things in mind that I wanted, with a max budget of each of no more that $1000. I went in looking for a Sig P226R in 9mm or any AR less than $1000. The Sigs normally have an MSRP around or above the $1000 mark. They had 3 ARs in stock that were all above $2000 as they were Bushmaster Custom Shops or something I stopped listening after that... They didn't have any P226Rs in stock but they did have a few P220Rs in stock, along with a CPO 228, and some new 229Rs and 250s in various calibers, but I already have a P228, so I was looking for a fullsize. I was thinking didn't really need a .45 at this time, as it doesn't really have a high "ban potential". That was until I picked it up. It has the beavertail, rail, short trigger, night sights and the short reset trigger. When I picked it up and squeezed the trigger I said "uh-oh". The kind of "uh-oh" you say when you know that you have to have something.

I've shot my uncle's W.German P220, so I knew how they shot. The price was $899, and without specifically knowing the MSRP on the P220R, I figured it was a good deal for the features it had. After much internal debate, you know that voice on each shoulder saying "oh you have the money in the bank, just spend it!!!", vs. " well they don't have what you came in here to buy so you shouldn't buy anything", I laid down the debit card and started filling out the forms.

The gun store had a range so I bought some ammo and put 50 rnds downrange. The only problem I had was when I failed to properly seat the mag and had a mis-feed. Recoil was as light as I remember of my uncle's P220, and a bit lighter than a 1911 i've shot before. Accuracy was as great as once should expect from a Sig. I'm happy with the purchase, now I just need to buy some ammo, a rail-light, and some more mags.

After getting home with from the store/range. It's got the SigLite Night Sites, Beavertail, Short Trigger, Short Reset Trigger and the Picatinny Rail wich will be getting a tac-light shortly.
    [​IMG]
    Target at 25 yds. 8 rnds on the paper from standing with a brace on the table in front of me. Most of the accuracy problem was cause I could barely see the target that far with the poor lighting of the indoor range... and i'm not quite used to .45 yet.
    [​IMG]
    This was about 15 yds or so. 2 mags worth with a decent grouping.
    [​IMG]
    pretty good grouping for 7 yds or so. Again, 2 mags worth.
    [​IMG]

Overall I'm satisfied and think it was a good choice, and I get give some Sig company to my Sig P228, which is also in my safe. I may have overpaid by maybe no more that $50 but I'd rather give my money to a local store for the instant gratification factor. What do these normally go for, if anyone knows?

And before all of you 1911 fans saying I bought the wrong thing, I'll get a 1911 at some point. I wanted a fullsize with a rail for a light that I WILL put on it since this will likely become a nightstand gun. Unfortunately 1911s look retarded as fuck with a rail and will refuse to own one with a rail.

2. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

:wavey: P220 crew

I :love: mine

3. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

What shop did you purchase from? I have a W German P220 from 1994. I love it.

4. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

Actually sounds like Hoffmans.

5. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Thats actually a very strange combination of a gun. The only 220 that Sig lists that comes with a beavertail is the Elite. The Elite also has the SRT trigger on it, which you have.

However, you do NOT have the Elite slide or grips. Grips are easy enough to change, but not sure why someone would take an Elite and then change the slide out on it as well.

Very cool gun though. I had an older 220 two tone that I traded in on a G34 and I'm forever sorry I did that now.

6. thebox

thebox New Member

:werd: me too :h5:

7. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Sig had an overrun of beavertail frames, so they just made ones with standard slides.

Looks like a great gun! I love my P229 SAS V2 w/ SRT!

8. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

awesome piece, I was in the market for a 220 before I saw the XD45 for a steal of a price. Still want one but don't have the budget for it at the moment :hs:

9. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I thought about going to Hoffmans since they have a pretty big selection, but I actually got it at Forrest and Field in Norwalk. Hoffmans is about an hour drive for me. Forrest and Field is about 15 mins.

I forgot to add that the frontstrap has the checkering which is different than my P228 which only has the lines I think. So it would appear that the frame of the gun is the exact same as the P220 Elite, minus the different handguards and the slide is missing the little front slide serrations. The Elite goes for $936 at budsgunshop.com which I think is about the cheapest place online. I don't need the grips, as I'll probably change them out at some point anyway.

Interesting note about the overrun of beavertail frames. I'd imagine that is the case. It appears to be an Elite frame, with a standard slide.

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:ugh2: its not even that much in California

11. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

MSRP bro, MSRP... That's from the sigarms.com website. I realize street value us almost always below MSRP, so that's what I was judging this gun shop's prices at. Seeing as the elite is $939 and the Standard P220R is $824 at budsgunshop.com, i'd figure that after shipping and transfer fees, i'm about at what i'd pay for getting it on the net.

take a look at sigarms.com website and most of the sigs with any options above standard are going get get you an MSRP north of $1000.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  12. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

wat

13. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

with any options that doesn't come with the standard Sig P220, i.e. rail, short reset trigger, front strap checkering, night sights, short trigger, or beavertail... all of which mine has.