I Got A New Sub - Review/Lookover followed by a Q

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I finnally got my HSU VTF-2 MKII in the other day and since then I've monkeyed around with it quite a bit.

The first thing I'm going to start off is the difference between a sub sitting not close to something and sitting it next to a hard structure/wall makes a vast improvement. I first had it sitting out in the open for just some handy tuning and seeing where the distortion would begin.

Now I have it sitting under a desk, I am going to order a longer sub interconnect cable for easier placement to get the most of out of my sub.

I am not used to a sub that hits in the primarily low region so it took me some time getting used to the fact i didnt have a smaller sub hitting the lower mid range as well, after my ears became acclimated I liked the newer sound a lot more. It gave me a larger range of music and my mid range wasnt muddied up by a cheap sub trying to hit all different kinds of ranges.

The size of the sub enclosure also suprised me, It sits a lot taller than I expected it to but this poses no problem for me.

When I got it under the desk, laying down I could still get back and do some tuning and when my gf was over today and we were listening music I took the oppurtunity to finish tuning it. :o

Another feature I really like with this sub is the fact I can switch between 1 and 2 ports, with 1 port it extends down to 25hz and with 2 open it extends down to 32hz but with an increase of loudness. I had been listening on mostly 1 port but I decided to switch up to 2 ports. My crossover was set to about 60hz, for the music I listen to this seems to be the best setting to my ear. Also opening up the second port let me be a lot more liberal with the volume knob. ;)

I was using the test CD that came with the sub but I wanted my bass to be a little more violent while I was setting my volume so I played:

50 Cent - Just A Lil Bit
    Gorillaz - Slow Country
    Gorillaz - Last Living Souls
    Eazy-E - Boyz In The Hood
    Smashing Pumpkins - Thirty Three

I really hate 50 cent but the bass on that song is relatively impressive, I got the volume up there, being under the desk at the same time made a quite interesting experience as my nostirls literally fluttered with the bass. The sub had also managed to kick up some dust and with my flash light I could see it flying in and out of the port I was like :noes:. The two rear firing ports were reaking devastation :run:. The bass filled my room which is something that I had been craving and it pounded the couch with fervor:spank:. The gorillaz songs worked especially well with my sub. :bigthumb:

Overall I am very happy with my purchase and so far I have no complaints. :bowdown:

Time for the question: Under my desk I have a concern for standing waves with the sub and reverberation, if I lined it with acoustical foam or some other form of acoustical dampering would this improve the sound quality and prevent reverberation? The desk is pretty solid but it isnt open in the back like a lot of computer desks, it comes down to the flooor. I can have pics up later if needed. And until I get a longer sub interconnect the current location is my best sounding option.

Any help and feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2005
  2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I believe each wall adds 3dB. So in a corner I believe there is 6dB of gain. This is why you heard the huge difference when you moved it. My sub has a switch that you can set to neutral or +/-3dB to correct for walls if you want.

I don't think the desk should be a huge problem (sound deadening won't hurt, but it may actually decrease volume, as it will lack some reinforcement from the panels), but it's better to have it exposed in the room. The only issue I would suspect is resonance, but that should be easily noticeable. Standing waves usually happen in the enclosure. I assume it's designed to prevent that.

If it were me I would use one port to give it more extension over louder bass, but that's just me. For movies, I'd definitely switch it to one port. 60Hz also seems a little low for your x-over point. Most people that have front speakers capable of good midbass set their x-over to 80Hz. What speakers are you using?

Thanks for the review.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

the cross over is on the sub and since im not using my high pass in/out it doesnt affect my speakers if thats wut ur referring to.

my speakers are paradigm 20 bookshelfs. ill change my x-over to 80hz and use 2 different songs on both settings and see what's best.

my x-over point is fully adjustable from 90hz to uhh i think its 25 or 30.

EDIT: changed the cross over to 80hz, i was using The Wallflowers - 6th Avenue Heartache, it had a well patterned little beat to it and I noticed the drum get a little louder when I had it set to 80hz, the difference was small due to the amount of volume I had it at (dont wanna wake anyone up) ill listen for my differences tomorrow when I can blast it.

As far as the 1 port vs 2 port thing 2 ports seems to be more "fun" when listening to rap with just big thumps. :dunno:

Also what are some good things to use to prevent rattling? (materials etc)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2005
  4. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

That sub kicks ass. Fast and musical... damn mang, how much didja get it for? Didja try shoving anything in the ports to prevent the rattling? cuz i know for the Rocket SW10-se subwoofer, they included a port blocker. Let me know how the Hsu is, i might be upgrading, lemme know if it's worth the upgrade from the Rocket.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

for the port switching it comes with like a rubber stopper.

and the rattling doesnt come from the ports, it comes from things on my desk and the reverberation is coming from under the desk at high volumes.

i really am happy with the sub, i dont know anything about the Rocket SW10

6. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

av123.com
    lowest model there, but it's pretty decent. i matched the sw10 with the magnepan mmg's and it's a pretty good match. likign what i'm hearing.

maybe you should get some of those retardedly priced isopods or some crap like that hahahahah.

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

isnt an Isopod an insect like creature classification?

as far the sub i really have no idea, try listening to whatever ud like to upgrade to.

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

does ANY ONE have any tips for rattling?