I got a major kick out of this... This guy has more money than sense...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blindsight, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

This is from a review of a $10,000 Levinson CD transport at audioreview.com:

"... I expected the unit to be fabulous from an aesthetic standpoint and I was not let down ... Now, that is where the wonder wears thin and the metal is put to the fire. I set it up ... and let it come to thermal equilibrium for about 17 hours. I played a variety of disks ... The sound became closed in and the voice took on the nature of sounding hi-fi-ish ... I put the CD back into my mainstay [...] transport (a Cambridge D500SE modified with a mortite damped chassis) and it kicked the snot out of the 31.5. I actually placed a call to an audiophile buddy and he heard the difference over the phone and picked the Cambridge with no prodding or information given about which unit was playing."

:ugh: :rofl: :ugh: :rofl: :ugh: :rofl: :ugh: :rofl:

2. 04

04 Guest

:rofl:

Jesus Christ...

Over the phone? And these guys get in a hissy fit whenever people ask them to do double blind tests to show that their actually is an audible difference. :uh: Well I suppose looking at it positively, he will stick with his Cambridge, and not waste 10 grand on something that can be determined as being audibly inferior over the phone. :ugh:

3. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

:rofl: my first thought after reading it was...

O...k... :ugh:

4. 04

04 Guest

Yeah I never really understood that either. I mean you could get a mp3 that was good enough quality to test your system with, but the odds of any well encoded and ripped mp3 being on any kazaa or similar p2p network are slim to none.

5. twistid

that diana krall i sent you a while back, came from a random user off of iMesh. :dunno:

6. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

7. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

That's cuz most of the dumb kids who get 'systems' in their cars only care about humungous loads of thumping bass and know zero about sound quality. I sadly see the same trend in a lot of home systems of teenagers/20-somethings. All they care about is bass! They'll have their speakers like 2 feet apart from each other with some way huge subwoofer (or small cheap one that's cranked to the point of distortion), and they think it 'sounds so great.' :rolleyes:

8. 04

04 Guest

Sadly thats the way it is. I have HUGE speakers :o but they actually sound pretty accurate.

For instance, my cousin bought a subwoofer that I built, and it sounds terrible in his room, he has the gain cranked up way too high and the bass drowns everything else out. When I had its output calibrated properly in my room though, it sounded just fine.

9. twistid

try resending it when i'm paying attention, sorry but snowball was being a AW at the time. :o