GUN I got a lecture on buying ammo today...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bigsnake, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Two friends and I were going to head out to a shooting range today because I just picked up an XD40. I pack up the XD, Glock 26, S&W 915, and Ruger 22/45 to take out to the range so we all have something to shoot.

We decide to stop at Academy Sports on the way to pick up ammo. I get the guy behind the counter and tell him the stuff I want. We get a bunch of 9mm, a brick of .22lr, and a 100rds of .40 And here's how the convo went:

Salesguy: "Are you all together"
    Me: "Yeah, but I'm buying"
    Salesguy: "Well, can I see your ID then"
    *Checks ID and gives it back to me... Then stands there looking around for a minute*
    Salesguy: "You're pretty young still... I hardly ever encounter someone this young with this many caliber pistols. Are you buying ammo for these guys?"
    "They're all my guns"
    "I'm not saying that... I'm just saying, You can't be buying ammo for them."
    "They're my handguns... and you can get rifles in these calibers anyway"
    "yeah, but they're starting to come down hard on this now if you get caught. Usually mandatory jail time"
    *He has put all the ammo in a basket and we start walking toward the front*
    Me: "Well, in Louisiana you can have posession of a handgun at 18."
    "Well, there's nothing I can do to stop you. I'm just saying don't do it... If that's what you're doing"
    Me: "And it's legal for them to go shoot with me anyway... even if they weren't 18"
    *puts basket down on counter in front*
    "Have a nice day"

2. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I guess he's just trying to cover his own ass (can't blame him), but once you answered his question about buying ammo for the youngsters he probably should have just shut up.

3. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

what a retard.. thats like carding for a lighter or a blunt wrap.. if they already have the goods, why bother trying to stop them from obtaining some trite goodies to go with it :mamoru:

4. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I don't even know the laws regarding this anyway. You can have a handgun here at 18. You just can't purchase it from an FFL. Private sales, gifted, etc. are good to go. Can't buy handgun ammo until you're 21. I haven't heard anything about buying ammo for someone that has a handgun though... Anyone?

5. Tornado6

Tornado6 When the wind set down in funnel form and pulled y

He's got to protect his own rear. Sad but true that if "something" were to happen, there would be a witch hunt. Even when you do everything right, you're still under the microscope.

We've run into the question, "How many boxes of ammo are you going to buy?" about four times in the past few months. It's like, "I want your business, just not too much of it!" :sad2:

Except at Bass Pro, where we saw a guy pushing a cart full of clay pigeons while pulling a cart full of 9mm ammo (hey, it was a big sale!) :)

6. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I understand checking the ID if you look under 21, but he doesn't need to offer his shitty misinformed legal advice afterwards.

7. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

Here they check ID for .22 and shotgun ammo all the time. and you cant buy handgun ammo under 21, i think, i havnt tried yet.

8. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

when I was 17 and still smoked I stopped by a gas station between vacational and school and went to buy a lighter because I wasn't about to not smoke a cigg before I went to school. they carded me so I just pulled out a cigg lit it and put the lighter back. they should have just made thier 50 cents

9. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Smoking is cool!

10. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

:goyou:

11. Furner

Furner New Member

i hated how walmart always gave me shit about buying 9mm. Supposed to be 21 to buy "handgun" ammo, but you can own at 18 in this state too.....so i was buying the 9mm for my "9mm rifle" ;) 9mm is just as much pistol/rifle ammo as .22LR is, so I dont see what stores make such a big deal about it for