GUN I got a fucking good deal today

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Furner, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Furner

Furner New Member

One of the local hardware stores that carries guns had a 20% off EVERYTHING sale tonite. Ive wanted a revolver, and I passed up a good deal on a mossberg cruiser ($240) for a Ruger GP100 w/adj sights stainless, in 357mag, for $400. I also got a cheap Lee reloading press, and lee .357 dies while I was there. I figured this is a good excuse to get into pistol reloading.
    Anyways, no pics now, because they were taking money but doing no transfers today because the gun floor was too busy. So tomorrow morning Ill pick it up, and tomorrow night, ill shoot it.
    BTW, whats the standard break-in for a revolver?

2. Gimik

Gimik New Member

woah. that's my kind of hardware store :eek3:

3. Furner

Furner New Member

it was insane in there, like black friday on a tuesday afternoon. they closed at three and reopened at four. they had one of those kel-tec pistol-caliber rifles for like $98, but someone snatched it before me. a kid in line behind me got a springfield 1911 mil-spec for $480.
    i cant believe they were selling everything so cheap, MSRP on my revolver is mid$600s.
    in hindsight, i should have bought a case of black hills .223, but seeing as i dont have a .223 anymore, i dont feel that bad.

4. break in?

there is no break in.. that there's a Ruger :bigthumb:

5. back in the day that was common practice

6. Furner

Furner New Member

that place is a hidden gem too, i didnt know i had such a good store so close to my house. its kinda in the downtown section of Grand Rapids too, which is unusual for a gun store.

7. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I remember it actually. :hs: I didn't think anyone did that anymore.

8. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

how ironic. My grandfather used to own a hardware store in Grand rapids, Mi. He sold it in the mid-fifties after my grandmother passed away. My father used to work in the store and purchased alot of guns through it. My relitives on my fathers side still live in the area. I wonder if it was the same hardware store. I will have to do some research.

9. Furner

Furner New Member

its named Rylees.
    There is another store in town with another family name that escapes my mind at the moment. Its on Leonard near Scribner

10. Furner

Furner New Member

do you worry about excessive lead depositing, clean often? i was thinking about molding my own, but with a bit of tin or something.

11. copiertalk

That was 50 or so years ago. I will ask my uncles next time I talk to them, but by then this thread will probably be old.

12. Furner

Furner New Member

Rylee's was started in 1946 under its existing corporation,, so it could very well be.

13. Furner

Furner New Member

i just shot a few cylinders through it, i am loving the 357, punches harder than 9mm and kicks alot less than my XD. i would like to find some steel-core 357 though, we were trying to shoot through an AL engine block and couldnt get through it.

14. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Yeah, there's a hardware store up in Cornelia where i used to work; a ugy I know used to work there. They have a huge reloading/muzzleloader/shotgun/rifle area in the store.....no pistols, but damn!

15. rat

rat New Member

If you guys think hardware stores selling guns are cool, you should have seen the gas station i stopped at in minnesota that sold guns.

16. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

we used to have a true value like that around here. they got shut down by the ATF though:(. They were cool enough to order shit that you wanted for 10% over whatever price they could get + shipping if you ordered through them.

17. copiertalk

His name was Norton King. He retired in the lansing area. He still has a son in the west branch area. his name is Norton King JR. and runs an electric type company. I am still searching but that is all I have found to date. One other son moved to Texas (my dad) and his other son robert live in the bay city area.

do you go by the way of gladwin, beaverton or midland much if any at all?