i got a few questions about a winxp install....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by xXVERBXx, Apr 24, 2005.

1. xXVERBXx

xXVERBXx Tungsten Carbide Member

well i got a free laptop.... yea it is legit, my dads work got rid of there old ones, well i was having some trouble installing win95 so i found a lite verson of winxp and installed it to make sure this thing works. well i know it works now, and i want to get rid of this install and install the winxp home full on this machine, im buying a factory sealed copy off ebay,

basicly i want it to be a clean install once i get my new copy in the mail, but how can i uninstall the xp that is on there? or basicly format the HD:dunno:

im very noobish when it comes to this stuff:sad2:

2. xXVERBXx

3. 01000101

01000101 New Member

boot from disk (might have to change bios)
    delete partition
    long format
    create partition
    install on new partition.

all files go bye bye

ive been up for a long time, the order of that might not be correct :rolleyes:

4. xXVERBXx

im am such a noob i have no idea how to do any of that stuff:o

5. Weiner

Weiner New Member

Put the CD in, self explanatory....

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Don't worry, part of it was backward anyway. When you get to the drive selection part of the XP install (very beginning, still in the blue, non-graphical setup part), highlight the drive you want to delete and then type:

D
    Enter (hit the enter key, don't type ENTER)
    L
    (D-E-L, get it?)

Do this for each drive letter you want to get rid of (if you want anything off those drives, get it BEFORE you do this!)

This will delete the partitions. Now highlight the empty space, and hit C to create a new one. You will probably want to use all the free space, so just accept the default size and hit enter.

Next format it NTFS (you CAN do a quick format, makes no difference, the files won't magically re-appear like digital zombies or anything). It will give you four options, just select one of the NTFS options and it will format the drive.

and go on from there like a regular install.

edit: Be sure you do not have any external firewire or USB drives (including media cards for cameras, etc) hooked to the laptop when you do the install!