I got a belt yesterday and a few questions

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Cachee0, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

My lower back has been sore because I going up in weight during my squats. I never used a belt before yesterday. With the belt I guess it could be a plasibo affect but I felt that my form even with the higher weight did not suffer. I did my deadlifts with out the belt and am thinking of using the belt now for deadlifts to. Is there any negatives with using a belt? My lower back feels much better today then it would if I did not use the belt. I also ride sportbikes and it's hard to stay in the leaned postion because of the sore lower back. But I don't want to lose any strenght or development in my lower back because of the belt.

2. snigg

snigg New Member

i also ride sportbikes and have had lower back problems for the past few years. severe muscle spasm in my back about 4 months ago, as well as the doctor telling me i also have a bulging disc in my back. i took some time off squats and deads but im back doing them now and my back is fine. I recently started using a belt for my heavier sets of deads and it seems to help. my back doesnt feel tender the next day like it used to. i dont wear it for squats however.

3. Cachee0

Well luckly I don't have any real issues except that it's sore. I try to go down as far as I can with my squat. Oddly enough my hips were much more sore then the lower back today.

4. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

The true purpose of a belt is to give you something tight around your waist to push off of. Take in a belly full of air, push out on the belt, and it will help keep you tight. They arent meant to prevent back injuries. In fact, I remember reading somewhere that the average belt user usually has more back problems due to a reliance on the belt instead of building the stabilizer muscles.

5. Cachee0

I read that to some were.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.