I give up, POS emachine garbage internet issues

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ihkskim, Apr 8, 2010.

1. ihkskim

ihkskim OT Supporter

So I got a couple of emachine T5048 or some junk and for some reason the internet adapter never seems to want to connect to an internet connection.

It originally had Windows 2005 Media Center Edition so I reformatted it into that OS, but the network adapter would hang at "Limited or No Connectivity".

After sifting through the internet trying to find the drivers for this damn thing, I wasn't able to fix the internet issue regardless of uninstalling/reinstalling all sorts of drivers from emachines and intel's (it's an intel board) website. So I gave up and installed Windows 7 to see if it would fix the issue. But unfortunately I get the same problem.

Anyone else have this issue before? It seems like after a long time of leaving the ethernet connection in, it eventually "connects" but to some IP thats waay out of the range of my router. I believe there might be some pre-registered IP that it was setup with, but wouldnt a reformat have wiped that? :wtc:

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Spend 20 bucks and gt yourself a new adapter.

3. ihkskim

ihkskim OT Supporter

That would be going the easy way out, I want to fix this one and stick it though like a man.

4. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Famous last words...

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Most likely the nic has gone bad.

You can fight with it all you want, but at the end of the day if you have a hardware issue then no amount of dicking around on the net is gonna fix it. You are gonna have to replace it.

6. ihkskim

ihkskim OT Supporter

What's bizzare is that I have two of the same machines with identical problems... what are the chances of both machines having bad NIC's? There's something that going on here...

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Pretty good I'd say, we had to do something similar with some shitty Acers. Power fluctuations would zap the internal cards, replaced with new ones, good as new.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If a part is broken, then it's fucking broken. Either learn how to build complex logic circuits or go buy a new network card.

9. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Same thing happened to my mother-in-law's emachine. Replaced the nic, problem solved.

10. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

when it connects, do you get an ip address that starts with 169.254.x.x?
    thats self assigned. its what the adapter gives itself when it doesn't have a static set or it can't grab an ip address dynamically (dhcp)

at least make sure your not set statically, its under the adapter properties, highlight internet protocol tcpip and click the properties button. bother ip and dns should be set to automatic

if that doesn't work, get yourself a new adapter, and might as well get a new ethernet cord too
    i'd probably recommend something other than an emachine, they seem to have high failure rates imo

11. thekraft

thekraft New Member

I agree with everything this man says.

12. dorkultra

:bowdown:

i work tech support at an ISP...people never believe me when I tell them that their NIC is likely going bad

all I hear is, "I know its your modem, gotta be, this computer is brand new - just got it 3 years ago..."

its been the modem maybe 2 times out of hundreds

13. thekraft

thekraft New Member

:rofl: Shit, I didn't even know modems went bad. Cards or adapters like wireless NICs die so fast. They're always on, they run hot, and they're cheap as fuck.

14. dorkultra

they do from time to time. usually after we have a lightning storm in the area, we will get at least one call of someone who's modem will not power on...or the ethernet port will not longer function

a lot of the time its because people neglect it. i've done ride outs with technicians, seen modems under desks with piles of dust on them. or seen modems returned that obviously had some type of liquid dumped on them, milk is very popular for some reason