SRS I fucked up..badly.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by gum11, Apr 20, 2005.

1. gum11

gum11 Guest

I just saw my marks for college this semester. 5 F's and 1 D..FUCK. my parents are going to be ULTRA pissed but it wont be too bad because they know i've had a shitty semester and i'm on anti depressants now so they might let this blow over. Still though, i think i'm really fucking up and gotta get on track, as soon as school starts (may or september, depending if i do summer semester) i'm really gonna work my ass off but i'm afraid the same thing is gonna happen.

I live about 2 hours away from my school and getting there/back is a huge pain, whever i get back i'm so tired that i sleep for the rest of the day and really have no urge to goto school next day, so i end up going to 2/6 classes the whole week. Anyone had similar experiences with failing this badly and can offer any advice? thanks.

2. johan

johan Active Member

Jebus, I sound like a parent, but what the hell.
    Frankly you'll find that PARENTS are the least of your worries. The person you're screwing is you. Parents pissed....oh well.

When you leave home, and escape what now seems like a tightly confining pressure cooker, you'll realize that all their whining, threats, etc. may not have been very nice but were well-meaning.

What I mean is that pissy parents is really no big deal.
    On the other hand, If you fail out of school...well, that is something that stays with you for a long time.
    Sometimes forever, and it will lead you down a path that most people (if they knew the end result) would not willingly choose to go.

5F's and 1 D. Well, I think you should talk to someone in student counselling about your issues. There's really no point in spending $$$ to pretend to go to college.

Personally, I think you should withdraw from all your courses now, and depending on your school, you may get an I (Incomplete) for a course grade, which is FAR better than getting a full slate of F's, which means even if you pull all aces for the next 3 years, your GPA is still shot to hell.

Take the year to figure out your head. Go travelling. Do something with yourself.
    DO NOT sit around in your room hating yourself, and having your parents hating you too.

Then go back to school later -- when its what you really want to do. Cause you obviously aren't interested in it now.

3. DesignerAddic71

DesignerAddic71 RIP Luther Vandross 1951-2005

when it comes to the classes, i am in the same exact position you are. i have been struggling with depression and havent had the engery, drive, nor focus to make to class-especially after working in the office for a better portion of the day. im completely failing all 5, and have decided to withdraw for this semester. i would have rather have the five W's on my transcript than 5 F's. as for the parents, mine arent involved with any aspect of my schooling (even though i live at home), so i really dont have much advice for you as far as dealing with them goes.

but i would definitely suggest you contact academic advising in regards to withdrawing for the semester.

4. gum11

gum11 Guest

Great advice, thanks, but what if i take the same courses again? Wouldn't that overwrite the current F's? And the semester is already over, how would I go about withdrawing from the finished semester, is that possible?

5. DesignerAddic71

DesignerAddic71 RIP Luther Vandross 1951-2005

ur semester is already over? u already took finals? u really need to talk to academic advising ASAP

6. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

Tell them you have a drug problem. go to rehab for a few weeks, work-out, relax. Then start over in the fall.

7. gum11

gum11 Guest

I don't have a drug problem, why would i go to rehab :S

8. gum11

gum11 Guest

Is it still possible to withdraw even though the semester is over?

9. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Not that I know of. Consider those grades as part of your permanent record. Sucks..yes.

But as Johan suggests, find a way to get your focus back.

I have had friends fight long and hard to get back into the University system after having given it up for a long haitus. But after having spent some time away from school they got really focused and finally finished with flying colors. Perhaps that's the route you need to take. Some people prefer the scenic route.

10. gum11

gum11 Guest

Hmm, I noticied that johan said that no matter what I do now I will still have a crappy GPA and I need at least a 3.5 to get into a university when I'm finished the program at college, is it still possible to save myself from a horrible record, like if I do really well next semester, will it blow over?

11. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

i agree with the advice to give yourself time away from school and find your head. i know a few people who started college at the age of 21+. they just did random shit in between until they finally figure out what they want to do. like one guy who was 22 when he started college, spent the time in between schools following the band Phish around and doing acid every show. now he's in school and doing quite well for himself.

unless it was just "one of those semesters", you would do well to take some time off.

12. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

sometimes admissions and employers will look at your grades and even though you may not the required gpa, they will notice if you've tried to fix it or not. if you have A, A, A, B, F,D,F,B,F,F,F,D then your sol. But if you have A, A, A, B, F, D, F, F, A, A, A, A then they'll recognize that you just had a shitty semester and that you're actually a good student.

13. Toasty

Agreed. Unless your current grades are from a community college system, I don't think there's a way to wipe that off your slate. It's permanent.

I had a similar thing going into my first year...I goofed off and was a truant for my first year of college. Ended up getting aweful D & F grades that whole year. Even though I pulled through and ended up getting good A & B grades for the rest of my time in college my GPA would never be 4.0.

But don't let that discourage you. 1) as a person who's hired others, I've never looked at a person's GPA to make a decision, and 2) even if I did, I would view Godspeed's 2nd example as a person that got their act together.

14. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

I didn't start college till I was 21 and i'm doing a lot better than if i was 18 and fresh out of high school.

15. gum11

gum11 Guest

I happen to be at a community college..Does that mean there's a way to purge the record?

16. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

Do what I did... I went to community college at 16, HS dropout. I went for year, 2 different schools, and did BAD. I think my highest grade was a C, and that wasn't my average. So I took a year off, got a job in Vegas where I could drink and party and whatever and got it out of my system for a year.
    Now I go to another community college, different state. (location change helps, I think) I just signed up as a new freshman. They don't care at community colleges about your past grades unless you are trying to get credit for past classes. I am taking some low level classes that I don't need to take, but it gets my GPA higher and saves me money. Now, when I send in transcripts to any university, if they, by some chance, see that I do have a bad year, they see that the bad year was not part of the rest of my education. I write a letter with any application (some require this anyway) and explain somewhat the situation and it usually sounds like a success story rather than a failure.
    Works for me, hope it helps you. And most of all, don't give it up. It sucks, but its worth it. And try and live closer to college, on campus is great if you have the oppertunity. That helps you stay focused and makes going to class/study groups way easier.
    Good Luck, dude!

17. Toasty

Well, it's possible there's a different rule from State to State, but as far as I've been told by others, if you later transfer to a Uni, the grades don't carry over with you. Just the credits.

I suppose that's assuming you passed the courses. The F's are no good I assume.

18. johan

johan Active Member

Nope. It doesn't work that way.

If you go through with the course right to the bitter end, that F will be there for all time. Maybe you can pull it up to a D, but let's face it. A set of D's still sucks ass.

If you repeat the course later on, your transcript simply reflects that.
    That full set of F's will F'up your gpa nicely.

Your transcript simply shows everything you did. All the courses, all the grades. No coverups, no do-overs.

On the other hand, you could, for instance, massively fuckup this year and then pull aces for the next three years.

You could probably do ok with entrance elsewhere by doing a lot of explaining how you turned things around, rededicated your life, blah blah, and if your academic record since has been good...that might get you into whatever you're trying for. Say, law school, med, grad school, whatever.

If you don't intend to go on with school...well its up to you. But I warn you. You'd be surprised where you can end up three to four years from now. Sometimes the unlikeliest people decide to try for med, or do a postgrad or whatever. Don't artificially limit your future now.

Go talk to your faculty advisor and get some help planning out your college career. A hour spent there will benefit you for years to come.

19. johan

johan Active Member

Oh and the bit about community college -- if you later transfer to a university, and you meet the entrance requirements to get into that university, and let's suppose you graduate from said university, then the only relevant transcript will be from that university.

Not the previous comm. college, or high school, or elementary school, or whatever.

Even with all this, if you don't really see yourself going further on -- it becomes much less of a deal. Let's say you stay at this comm. college for your entire college education. Then don't worry about it. You would then (usually) just need to accumulate enough credits to graduate.

I think some comm. colleges might not even kick you out for failing a year (as you're about to do) so in that case, you can keep going there as long as you keep paying tuition.
    In which case, crack open a beer, you're home freeeeeeeee.

20. wik

wik New Member

Ok I know gum11, and he just said he was going to commit suicide, he hasn't been around since he said it like 33 minutes ago. I'm worried.

21. gum11

gum11 Guest

you're an idiot. sigh. thanks for caring though..i guess but i'm not suicidal :p i guess i can't make a joke on IRC anymore.. :eek3:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2005
  22. johan

johan Active Member

Just go talk to your faculty advisor. It's simpler than you think. The longer you put off dealing with it, the worse it becomes in your head.

The worst thing you can do is nothing. So go talk to someone at your school.

23. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Your school, your diploma, the position you have in life, the amount of money you earn, the car your drive, or the house you own. They all mean nothing. What matters in your life is your loving interaction with others. And to help other people. Knowledge is light, but its not a requirement for life, or to accept you as a human being. You have been stressing way to much over your grades, and what will become of you in your life. The only thing you can do is to 'try' to make the best of it. Sleep regulary, and bring order in chaos. Make everything in your life organised and like an oiled machine up and running ready for action and to work your life and chisel it from a uncut gem into a cut gem in the shape that you like. Start defining your own life, by realising that in life it all comes down to you, and the quality of your decision making and actions results into the life that you lead today. Study day and night , while you help and love others, and sleep and wake up into a regular life. You can't change the past , but you can change the future.

24. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

stop what your doing right now, and just try to figure out what you really want to do in life. Nobody can force you to do something you don't want to do for the rest of your life.