GUN I found the setup I want!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Thunderbear, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

not that ya'll really care, but this is what I want.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Springfield Armory XD9801 Subcompact/ XML tac light.

damn sessy.

KC, aren't there 12rd LEO/milspec magazines floating around for this?

2. DRM600

DRM600 Guest

i think there are 17rd magazines from springfield.

3. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

nice. :cool:

if i end up getting an XD, i'm also getting the XML.

4. Thunderbear

for the subcompact? :eek3:

17 is nice, but 12 is just right. not too heavy, just enough to put well aimed shots consistently on target.

5. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Guest

Some one said the compact wasn't coming out until Jan 04... guess they were wrong then?

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

The XD40 Compact isn't coming out til '04. The XD9 Compact has been out a few monthes now.

i dunno about "floating around". There are 12rd available on LE/Mil letterhead, yes. Never actually seen any for sale, i've only seen them ordered direct from Springfield.

7. Thunderbear

other than stopping percentages, is there really a significant advantage to the 40? I'm used to 9mm thanks to the damn M9. I'm fairly confident in my shooting to be able to place rounds on target. I think I could do fine with +P 9mm loads. What do you think?

8. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

The level of quality in 9mm ammo nowadays pretty much negates the need for me to even consider using a .40, especially with the extra price, recoil, and weight of the the ammo.

9. itchiban

itchiban Guest

Thats pretty much how i feel about it. However, im pretty comfortable with my shooting and can handle the extra recoil of a .40. So the extra "stoppage" (if thats what you want to call it) of the .40 works in my favor.

And nice choice on gun, I too will be buying a sub-compact soon. Just havn't fully decided on the .40 or the 9mm

And when the .40 sub comes out, the mags for that should hold 12 or 12+ 9MM. Just like the xd40 mags with the xd9. :)

10. DRM600

DRM600 Guest

oh didn't realize it was teh subcompact :o

11. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

the extra recoil of the .40 in the subcompact is very noticable, at least it is with the Glock 27, it is extremely snappy. I would just stick with the 9mm and get it now, since it is already out.

12. Trouser Trout

Trouser Trout OT Supporter

What are your thoughts on a Glock 17? I have one available for a decent price, if I want it.

13. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

One of the best glocks ever made, it is the original. I would love to have one, my friend has one and I shoot it often. But I already have a Glock 19 and 26, so if I were to get a full sized 9mm, it would be something other than a glock, but I highly reccomend it.

14. kellyclan

The estimated "One Shot Stop" power of good JHP 9mm loads in on par with the good JHP loads of .40 or .45. Of course, i think such a rating is moot anyway. Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting twice. ;)

The larger caliber .40 and .45 offer more potential energy by their larger mass, and more efficient transfer by their surface area, but the 9mm's higher velocity tends to even the playing field for the most part. i prefer .40 as i'm numb to its recoil effect, but i have and trust 9mm all the same. Being able to accurately shoot a .22LR is much more valuable than having a .50AE that you can't hit a barn with.

15. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

yes, to reiterate everyone else that's beaten me to the punch, the expansion on the best 9mm loads (my favorite is the 124 gr. +P Gold Dot HP) is at least 90% of the best .45 and .40. so, the increased capacity and less recoil with 9mm is the deciding factor for me. and the frames of 9mm pistols will be smaller than .45 and sometimes smaller than with .40

16. Rache

Rache Guest

Hey, how do you guys carry with attatched lights? I always like a snug fit holster, and don't generally use "one size fits many" holsters. I've thought about trying to find a light that will fit my walther P99, but I'm concerned about the carry-ability. Any thoughts?

oh, and that gun kicks ass. :cool:

17. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

Does anyone know if the subcompact is available in California. Thought I heard somewhere that it wasnt available here. :dunno:

18. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I wish I could find a good light for my Walther :(

19. footratfunkface

if you're talking about concealed carry with a light, you don't. now, open carry with a "tactical" holster would work. many of those rigs, though, are thigh rigs, but i'm sure you could find one for your belt.

20. kellyclan

:rofl: Here's an example of typical Cali stupidity to answer your question:

The blued Compact is certified for sale up until 3/2004. The SAME GUN with factory night sights is certified through 7/2004.

Once the cert is up, Springfield needs to resubmit the guns for testing to maintain their certification to sell in California.

So if you're gonna get one, do it before March.

21. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

Thanx kellyclan. I really need to move out of this state. :hs:

22. footratfunkface

could it be that one was certified in the first place at a later date, and thus its certification runs out? if not, oh well, it's not the most retarded thing they've done in kalifornia, and it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

23. Rache

Rache Guest

California requires guns be submitted for drop tests. If a manufacturer changes ANYTHING about the gun, whether it's sights, caliber, springs, or finish, it has to be retested. It's truly moronic, but it helps fight gun sales out here :wtc:

As far as a light for a Walther, I still can't find one...the Smith light doesn't fit...

And as for carrying a light concealed, why not? I carry a Streamlight scorpion with me at night sometimes, and I think a integrated light would be great. The only way I've ever seen it done is by using one of those crappy one size fits many nylon holsters or with a mexican carry.

24. footratfunkface

exactly. there are no holsters for good, concealed carry. plus, the extra bulk of a light attached to the pistol makes it that much harder to conceal, that much more uncomfortable to sit on, and that much harder to draw. go back and look at the picture of that light. now imagine drawing that from a well-concealed holster. won't happen. i'd say carry a small streamlight (like a scorpion) or surefire (M2 or smaller) and learn to use it in conjunction with your pistol. the range i go to, when empty, will let us turn out the some or all of the lights in the ranges, thereby allowing us to practice low- and no-light shooting with and without flashlights. i've only done it with rifle-mounted lights, but i need to practice it sometime with pistols too, to have a good technique.

i can't concieve of a scenario that has a chance of happening in which you would need your light and your pistol at the same exact time outside your house, but i'd still carry them both, because it's the scenarios you can't imagine that catch you off guard. inside the house, get a weaponslight for an AR. of course, you'll need an AR first, so go ahead and get one now.

25. Rache

Rache Guest

:werd:

But don't you need a light w/your gun in the dark? Isn't that the point? I use the harries(sp) technique myself with handguns. I just think it might be more convenient to have an integrated light...like the surefires that attach to the weapon. I agree about carry difficulties though....and I prefer my mossberg to my AR anyday...at least for home defense.