I found an ext2 installable file system for Windows...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jul 27, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

...and it got me wondering, why isn't there an ext3 installable file system for Windows? All they'd have to add is the journaling support; that can't be that hard, because the ext3 source code is already freely available and Windows NT already supports journaling.

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Because all the people smart enough to care that much about what FS they use are already using a better OS?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ext3 is NOT exciting. The better *nix file systems are not ext3-based. ReiserFS, for example.

NTFS is basically superior in every way. It's been around longer, supported journaling longer and with more features, is faster, doesn't require any fscking if unmounted properly, and NTFS permissions and quotas are 10000x better than what ext3 typically supports.

4. Schproda

Schproda New Member

So when a volume isn't unmounted correctly and *nix wants to verify the data on the drive, that's supposed to be a bad thing? :) Remember when Windoze was supposed to be so good that they said with NTFS you'd never have to defrag? Remember when diskeeper came along and they changed their mind? :)

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I never recall a time when it wasn't recommended to defrag. I do recall a time when it no longer became "neccessary" and that is still true to this day. Not requiring something doesn't mean it still might not be a good idea.

But then again, I forget that I'm responding to Schproda... a complete dumbass.

And you need to learn how to read. I said that NTFS does not require any fscking if unmounted PROPERLY!!! If you unmount properly, NTFS never requires a check. However, ext3 still needs checks between 50-200 mounts, even if all unmounts are clean.

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: I like XFS, myself. Reiser is very nice as well.

7. deusexaethera

So are there any other installable file systems for Windows (such as ReiserFS), besides the ext2 one that I found? Mostly I'm concerned about cross-platform compatibility. Being able to RWX ext2 is nice, but I might as well be using FAT32 in that case -- no add-ons are necessary for either Windows or *nix to RWX FAT32.

EDIT: Are there any file systems that include automatic defragmentation as part of their protocol? I'd gotten the impression from some stuff I read that ext3 included this, but now it sounds more like it just doesn't NEED defragging to protect data integrity. It would be nice to be able to dispense with manual defragging altogether.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

common misconception. due to the nature of ext3, it can be dangerous to defrag it. Unfortunatly, it still does suffer from fragmentation issues, but is not robust enough to (reliably) survive defragmentation without downtime.

Honestly, NTFS is a very robust file system that works well for what it is -- an all-around desktop/server FS.

Why do you want a different FS on windows? Don't tell me it's to be different, because different is stupid and lame if that's your only reason.

9. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Pot meet the kettle.

When NT4 came out they said with NTFS is wasn't necessary to defrag. In 99 or 2000 M$ endorsed Disk Keeper in being the recommended program used for defragging your hard drive.

If you'd stop being a smart ass and think about it, the difference in file access is the same between FAT and NTFS. The structure can get fragmented and still does today. But the files with NTFS aren't because of the file system.

Don't be a 10 year old whiner because someone shares a difference in opinion with you. By the way when I put the second drive in the ML350 tonight, I had to rebuild the array as RAID 1 with the spare.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

your post sense makes not.

Read my posts. They are true. Read your posts. They are not true.

11. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Would you like some cheese with that WHINE?

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

odd, because your post looks like the one whining.

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

14. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

tbh, I've always used ext3 except one time when I tried reiser and there was not much difference.

ext3 works, just works and always works in my experience.

And I've never turned on Ubuntu to see chkdsk running and DELETING ALL MY FILES! Seriously, what the fuck is chkdsk about? Why is it needed on Windows and not on Ubuntu..? Unless it's the equivalent to fsck, but I've never had fsck delete my fucking files!

http://www.google.ie/search?hs=SV8&...l&q=chkdsk+deleted+my+files&btnG=Search&meta=

15. deusexaethera

I said before that I was interested in compatibility. Not surprisingly, that's the actual reason why I'm interested. I just want to be able to use Linux-formatted drives if I ever have to.

16. deusexaethera

You must have really fucked up your hard drive if chkdsk erased your files. All it does is repair the filesystem. If chkdsk wasn't able to recover the table-of-contents data about a bunch of your files, that meant the filesystem was corrupted, not that chkdsk was malfunctioning.

17. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

so it musn't take much for NTFS to get corrupted on Windows. My brother (who runs windows) is just as fast to "press any key" as soon as he sees a blue screen and white text when he turns on his computer.

And look at all the results of that "chkdsk deleted my files" google query...

18. deusexaethera

There's no compensating for user error. I've never lost a file to chkdsk; furthermore, chkdsk doesn't delete files, it erases irreparably-corrupted filesystem entires -- that means the records of the files that it supposedly "deleted" were already damaged, and if the files were actually used instead of just listed in an Explorer window, the data would probably have been missing with or without chkdsk's intervention. ESPECIALLY if the files were in multiple fragments, which is usually the case.

Then again, I defragment on a regular basis, so the data on my HDD never has a chance to degrade. Anybody who doesn't defrag once a month is a fool.

19. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Does Windows XP/Vista automatically schedule disk-defrags? It fucking should.

20. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

You can set it to do it yourself if you really care. To the average user, it makes no difference, NTFS does a good job on trying to prevent fragments.

and for the record, i :love: ReiserFS

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

It might be nice to have a journalled filesystem that both Linux and NT can write to. I could see ext3 fitting the bill here. Its not a stupid idea.

Although NTFS support from Linux is supposed to be coming along to the point that writing is safe...