I forgot how the calorie to weight gain equation works...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by pooshda, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pooshda

pooshda New Member

I have read somewhere previously (but cannot find the information again... note: I cannot search these forums because I do not have a paid subscription) I am sure the answer is here if I could only search.

What was it though... if you eat 500 calories over your required maintenance amount of calories then you can gain .5lbs per week or something? 1000 calories more = 1lb a week?

I dont remember how it worked... if someone could tell me that would be awesome, I am trying to bulk up a bit here and I am at 5000 calories today already (its 6:44pm) and ~260g of protein (a lot of this came from ultimate nutrition weight gainer of course, 72g of protein per serving w/ milk)

I believe my required intake for maintaining my weight is very low, like 1600 calories or so (I am quite thin... 5'8" around 134lbs) and I work on a computer all day so other than working out, not much activity that burns calories.

If thats how it works though I am 3000 calories over what my weight maintenace requirement is already today. I wish that meant I could gain 3lbs a week if I keep this up everyday, but I think thats wishful thinking?

Hell if I can gain 1-2lbs a week that would be awesome... the protein intake is good, I am at like 2g per lb of body weight today already and have done a lot of pushups and some weights :squint:

I just wanna get to like 160-170 or something... I wonder how long that would take if I do exactly what I have done today.... everyday. (I will probably eat another 1000 calories or so still today as well)

2. one.nine

one.nine OT Supporter

~3500 calories in a LB of fat

I was in your position and I ate around 3700-4300 calories per day and gained between 2 and 3 lbs a week. Keep in mind that's not going be anywhere close to all muscle, and you'll have atleast a bit of a gut by the time you hit 160.

If all you're doing is pushups and a bit of weights then it'll be a huge gut, and you'll be "skinny fat" but if you actually work out and follow a routine with heavy weights then you'll come off looking relatively good.

As far as your calorie count, maybe use fitday.com because 6000 calories seems a lot for you to eat in one day.

3. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

or you can just do cardio and keep your weight gain in check around 1.5-2 per week :eek3:

4. pooshda

pooshda New Member

Nice thanks for the advice fellas... I do use fitday, I actually have the software installed on my computer on top of the website account, too bad it gives you an error if you set a weight GAIN goal :p

Yeah I do crunches and sit-ups as well as high cable crunches on my home gym (I know home gyms arent the greatest) but I guess I should have been more specific, I have semi decent abs and I would like to keep them that way but I do not have a problem if I put on a *little* fat when im bulking because I can cut later (which isnt fun, I am sure)

2-3lbs a week would be EXCELLENT, I would be extremely happy with that... if I can do 2lbs a week average thats not bad at all.. 8lbs a month would be noticeable for sure.. at least I dont have a HUGE weight goal or something, but im not a very big guy :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.