I forgot how shitty Windows is

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I've never plugged a peripheral into a mac since I switched 5 years ago, and had it not work. Never.

My brother sent me his PC, with a pretty good video card in it. I plug it into my monitor. It won't work, goes black when it boots to desktop. He can remote login, but I can't see shit. I play with settings in VGA mode. No setting above 800 * 600 will work.

It was an old shite 19" monitor, so I order a Dell 22" monitor so I can use it.

Still doesn't work. Will not display the desktop.

Now I'm told to reinstall the operating system, and then reinstall the driver. Maybe THEN it will work.

What a fucking joke. Windows is a piece of shit. I haven't had to fuck with shit like this in 5 years. I can't imagine that people really choose to live like this. Its awful.

That is all.

2. u prolly just need to install the video driver.
    you should not have to mess with any driver b/c of a monitor u use, and u certainly should not have to reinstall windows

3. and windows aint that bad.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Reinstalling a driver to change monitors is ridiculous.

Of course this also involves multiple reboots.

How do people tolerate this bullshit?

5. bovine

bovine New Member

Amazingly drivers work when the OS company has a stranglehold on what hardware configurations are allowed.

Have OS X work on all eleventybillion possible PC configurations without any tinkering and then come back and bitch about Windows.

Oh, and I'm not a Windows fanboy; I own a Mac. I just see your argument for the utter bullshit that it is.

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

And thats a strong argument for having a stranglehold on drivers and limiting hardware configurations.

I was able to reinstall a driver after many slow and fucked up reboots. It came up.

Windows is a piece of shit. And yes, I'll allow that it is solving a harder problem running on a variety of hardware... but Linux has better hardware support than this. So gimme a break.

You can say what you want, but any OS that takes an hour for me to get it to work because I changed monitors is... a piece of shit.

The fact that you've learned to tolerate that is amazing.

7. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I've never had to reinstall a driver simply because I plugged in a new monitor.... hell, I've never had to update a driver for any reason other than I wanted too

8. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

did you set the refresh rate to a low 60 hz?

and this sounds like user error/inexperience

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  9. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Yea, user error is Windows' fault.:hsugh:

10. x230948239047238947219087423890!!!

11. pebkac maybe

12. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

now I think you were just mashing your number pad.....

13. seismic

seismic New Member

I have a really hard time believing a CRT couldn't display above 800x600, unless it was 10 years old. My guess is that it was a refresh rate problem, something that could have been easily fixed in the settings.

14. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

:rofl: @ thread backfire

Linux has better hardware driver support.. really... yeah - not so much. It's getting better but, yeah, no.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Seriously, don't attempt to use Windows anymore. I have no idea what's wrong with your computer, but I guarantee it's not as complicated as you're making it sound.

16. bovine

bovine New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

no.

17. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

I sometimes like to give people a break when it comes to hardware problems, but this.. this is not even Microsoft's problem... and here you are screaming about how bad windows is?

18. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Mac.

Satisfying whiny bitchy people willing to spend more money for less hardware options for decades.

19. awns729

awns729 New Member

Linux does NOT have better hardware support. Try running dual monitors on certain laptops, like mine. It will take hours to setup vs 2 minutes in Windows. Linux is just not there with hardware support as complete as Windows. (I am a Linux n00b, but still. It just shouldn't be as hard as it is).

And you probably just had a bad experience. You should have had your brother remotely reinstall the driver.

Also, if Windows tried to put a stanglehold on the hardware their OSes ran on, they'd be raped.

20. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I think Peyomp should stick to what he's good at (and he is good at it) and accept he doesn't have the skillset for these types of problems.

21. DeathClock

DeathClock Guest

This reeks of user error.

No offense to the OP but it really sounds like you have no idea what you are doing. Monitors are plug and play in the truest sense of the word. This has nothing to do with your monitor.

If you can get 800x600 but nothing higher I can almost guarantee you it is a video card driver problem.

You do NOT have to reinstall the operating system, just download the most recent driver for the video card from the manufacturers website, install, reboot.

But seriously, send it back to your brother and stick with macs. They are made for a certain demographic, for a reason.

22. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

willing to bet it's the refresh rate the video card was set to. never seen a video card driver problem in my life that would not display a certain resolution. when one changes res and the screen goes black, that's an issue with the monitor interpreting the signal.

the vid card was probably set to some high 1920x1280 res the 19" couldn't handle. bumped down the res, and some vid cards auto bump up the refresh rates past 60 to 70, 75, 85 and the old 19" may not be able to go past that refresh rate.

23. DeathClock

DeathClock Guest

yeah, thats a good bet.

In any case I am sure the majority of us would have tried 2 or 3 obvious things, figured it out, and not given a second though. Certainly not getting all frustrated by it and considering reinstalling the OS and crying about how terrible windows is on a forum lol

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2009
  24. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You guys are very silly.

Of course I reduced the resolution. It still wouldn't display at like 1024 * 768.

As to adjusting the refresh rate - this is the kind of stone age shit I'm talking about. Even Linux and X Windows does that automatically, which is why I say that it is better.

In conclusion, Windows is a piece of shit because I had to reinstall the NVidia driver to get a monitor to work, and you guys (with maybe one or two exceptions) are retardocons.

I didn't remember how stupid and hackish Windows was, but I now remember a lot of stuff like this. I remember all the reboots. It was like flashing back to a 'Nam experience.

Thank god I'm free. You are all brainwashed. Windows is a piece of shit.

Me, I'm gonna go hand crank my horsless carriage. All you pathetic electric ignition asshats don't know anything about cars.

:big grin:

25. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

sounds like you got bad advice from whoever told you you had to reinstall the OS.

and yes, OSX is more reliable because there are really only a handful of different combinations of hardware available when you compare it to a PC. i like them both fine, but you can't say that Apple's decision to limit hardware support is a great decision all around. you can get a pretty powerful PC for about $700. the best you can get from Apple is the Mac Mini, which may be slick but it is far from powerful.