I find Optimum No rinse not that effective

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Intel, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Intel

Intel Guest

Basically, I am using 9 liters (3 gal) bucket, a little more than 2 capfulls (by eye).

But basically, when I use it on a 95 degree 4PM (direct sunlight) wash of my BLACK car, I notice water marks on the paint that DO NOT get removed.

Now, I decided to try and use No rinse on half the car, and the other half I used my cheap walmart car wash soap.

It seems like the regular car wash soap worked better on the other side. Is this because of temperature? (or Black is a bitch, etc.)

Are there any GOOD car wash mixes that are soapy and require rinse unlike optimum?

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

You should use one capful per gallon. Also, water stains/marks don't come out with car wash, you need to polish the paint to get rid of that. I've used no rinse all last summer on my two cars it and worked awesome. Just as effective as any other type of wash method. It didn't cause any type of water marks on my car either since you just wash one panel at a time.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

How exactly did you use it? Wash one section at a time and dry immediately? That is the correct way. First couple of times I used a rinseless wash (Protect All's Quick and Easy Wash, which at the time was the only one), I didn't think it worked all that great either. Took a few times to really get the hang of it, 12,200 cars later (since I started detailing professionally), 95% of them were washed using QEW and then ONR when that was introduced a couple of years ago. Now I absolutely despise using a hose on the very few cars I run across that are so filthy or caked in mud I need to use a hose.

Washing generally won't remove hard water stains, but you can mix 50% vinegar into your ONR wash solution and that often works.

Optimum has a really good conventional wash soap too, really sudsy.

4. Intel

Intel Guest

First thing I did was rinse the car with the hose to get the surface temp down (its a black car on the sun).

After that I started washing the roof and dried it out inmediattely with the a large drying towel.

The dust and shit got off, but the paint wasn't "mirror-like" as I expected it to be. It had dried water spots.

Do you mean 2 capfulls + 2 capfulls of vinegar to make that 50% mix?

5. Scottwax

First off, you can't rinse off a black car without drying it immediately, that is where you got the water spots. When washing a black car in the sun with ONR, just go over a small section at a time so it doesn't dry on you. What you really need to do though, is find a shady place to wash your car for the best results with ONR or conventional washing.

With regards to the vinegar solution, 50% water, 50% vinegar and the normal amount of ONR.

6. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

I didnt like ONR first over my NXT wash but during this past winter i really started to like it because i didnt want to get everything and me all wet in the cold

7. Intel

Intel Guest

Does that solution fuck up the wax (so it has to be reapplied later).

Is it just me, or this is supposed to be done in the shade. I have a fealing of FAIL if I wash it with vinegar on the sun. :mamoru:

8. Scottwax

You should always be washing in the shade if possible.

If vinegar will remove water spots, it stands to reason it will also remove the wax.

9. Intel

Intel Guest

But it doesn't fuck up the clearcoat, does it?

If it was your car, would you wash it with vinegar? If you would, then what steps would you take after washing it?

10. kuzikan

kuzikan New Member

i would wash it in the shade no matter the method

and putting water to lower the panel temp will not work if its still in the sun. it will only cook the minerals on the panel, thats why you get water spots, its the calcium and other minerals that are left from hard water.

11. Scottwax

It won't hurt the paint. You can drink vinegar straight and other than the taste, you'd be perfectly fine. After using it, you can polish or rewax as needed.

12. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

I swear by ONR :bowdown: I use one bucket for a main wash then another bucket for a rinse both with the same ONR mix.The wash bucket usually gets dirty and discarded the rinse bucket is usually still clean so I will filter it out and reuse it in my sprayer. My city has ver strict water restrictions so I cant pull out the hose when i want so this is a big advantage.

13. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

My friends said Kitchener is one of the most depressing cities they've ever been in :o

14. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

it's true we dont even have running water :wtc: