I finally saw Van Helsing

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Joe_Cool, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

:dunno: What's all the negativity about? It was a fun monster movie, and the Creature was finally treated with respect: He was never evil, just misunderstood. Even when we went around murdering people, he was under Ygor's control, and it still wasn't his fault.

Best parts:

Kate Beckinsale. Every frame she's in. :naughty:
    The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly reference:
    The vampire has her cornered on the mountain, and says "Your blood will keep me beautiful. What do you think about that?"
    Kate stabs her with the stake and says "I think when you're going to kill somebody, you should do it - not stand there talking about it."

Overall: :bigthumb: I'll be buying it.

2. Jodon007

Jodon007 New Member

Background and storyline? :ugh:

3. Joe_Cool

Background & storyline:
    It's the 1800s. Frankenstein just created his monster. What we didn't see in the original movie is that Dracula was there with him pushing him to complete his research and make the Creature, for his own purposes. (what his purpose actually is is the plot device)

Fast forward. Van Helsing is an agent of the Church in Rome whose job is to destroy the unholy monsters (after all, they all exist in the same time frame - mid 19th century. It's cool to speculate that they all existed side by side in the same universe), like the Frankenstein Creature, vampires, and werewolves. And he goes against Mr. Hyde at the beginning. :)

Kate Beckinsale is a princess, the last of a bloodline sworn never to enter heaven until Dracula is killed, and Van Helsing has to keep her alive, kill Dracula, etc.

It's a fun movie, and like I said, the Creature was finally treated with respect.

4. SaviouR

SaviouR Guest

The biggest problem with the movie was bad all the CG got in the way of the actours and actresses. Because of that, focus was never truly on Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsale's character, and hurts the movie greatly.

5. QUEEN BLUE

QUEEN BLUE Guest

I want to see this movie so bad.

6. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

i dunno his full auto stake launcher with unlimited ammo kinda killed the movie for me and the little hand saws, what made them spin? pope power?

7. Joe_Cool

Let me get this straight:

You can accept immortal undead creatures that lay eggs, drink blood, fly, and live inside a mirror.
    You can accept a creature built from the parts of dead bodies, brought to life by a mad scientist.
    You can accept a doctor whose experimentations turned him into a 7 foot high evil monster.
    You can accept men who turn into wolves when the moon is full.

But you can't accept little spinny things on his wrists or a full-auto pseudo crossbow? You have issues. I bet you thought E.T. was totally realistic until the part where they flew on the bikes. :rofl: Dude, you need to learn how to watch monster movies. You do this thing called "suspension of disbelief", where you accept that there are things that are either impossible (monsters), improbable or anachronistic (automatic crossbows and spinny wrist knives).

8. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

but those things are all real :eek3:

9. Damone

Damone Guest

i enjoyed the movie.
    there was really only one thing towards the end of the movie
    that i thought they took it just that little bit too far.

10. smellyshelly

smellyshelly Guest

That movie was retarded. If you look at how many times Kate Beckinsale fell, you realize she should've been dead in the first 10 minutes. After awhile, I just got bored and started picking parts of the movie that reminded me of other movies... Like when they were jumping the bridge with the horse, it reminded me of any Santa Clause, movie... And all the swinging reminded me of Spiderman....

11. oakcliffgirl

oakcliffgirl Guest

Yeah... and at the end it was like "King Kong vs. Gadzilla"!!!!

12. smellyshelly

smellyshelly Guest

HAHA!! Hells yea... You rock. :)

13. It was a fun movie, although I'm still not sure if I'm going to get it or not.

The human's should have died so many times in the movie :dunno:

14. BigJake

BigJake New Member

the predictability ruined it for me.

thought the cg was pretty cool imho.

15. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

I was disapointed effects were good though

16. rallybred

rallybred Beer, the cause and solution to all of life's prob

Enjoyable flick if you look past the many little holes.