I finally had to do it.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ivy Mike, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

and it makes me sad.

I finally had to set up a Windows machine at home so that I didn't have to drive into work on certain days. :wtc:

I was feeling all smug only having linux machines at home (Ubuntu on the desktop and Gentoo on my ancient laptop) and actually being able to use them for everyday tasks.

Now, I'm typing this message from this older box running XP Pro.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the deaths of kings." -Hamlet.

2. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

That sucks. What do you need to do that requires windows?

3. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I use Macromedia Breeze for work and you need to install a special plugin that...OMG...isn't out for Linux.

Fucking macromedia.

Its alright, I'm back on my Linux machine. I need to go buy a KVM though. Juggling boxes around = teh suck.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

KVM = Teh Win. I have the Linksys one with the built-in cables and it works great.

I don't have a Windows machine at home, but I do use VMWare for the occaisional IE-only site (maybe a couple times a year, I very rarely need it really).

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Remote Desktop into work = No XP at home. This is how all the eleet haxors that you see with PowerBooks get real work done. However, having an XP box around can be nice... you know, variety. At least thats what I told myself when I bought a NeXT slab that sat on my coffee table and did nothing for 6 months.

7. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

It's just easier to build an old box up into a work machine.
    Just so you know how much I actually wanted to do it, the box that I got was free. My dad gave me his old computer with a bad power supply to play with. I had to scrounge a few more components, but it runs. Initially, it was just going to be another box on my budding network, but then I found a way to work from home.

Since this forum can be such spec whores, I'll post them here. Remember, this is only so I can use one plugin because macromedia won't port it to linux or release source on it.

E-Machines T1840
    512mb PC2700 RAM up from the original 128. The 512 was scrounged from a dead machine at work
    30gb hdd down from the original 40gb cause my dad kept his old drive. Another freebie from work.
    A 7 year old 250w power supply from my old machine that had its HDD die.
    A 10x DVD drive...from a Compaq
    A 56K modem that doesn't get used...I don't even have a phone line. :mamoru:
    screaming fast onboard video (Intel 845 I think) ;)
    concert quality 3D AC97 sound (thats what the sticker on the front says) :mamoru:
    no floppy drive cause they are archaic and I hate them and wish them to die the death or Microsoft Bob.
    It does have USB 2.0 though, which is nice cause I can connect my external DVD burner to it. Also makes file x-fer to my thumb drive considerably quicker.
    Its running a stripped version of XP simply to keep things moving quickly.

So, please don't make fun of my work machine too much. It was free after all.

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

free :) love that word

My dad also uses remote desktop like Peyomp usggested, so he can work from home.