GUN I finally found a range I wouldn't hate to join! *pics*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Oct 18, 2009.

1. One of the guys from SH took me out to the Cascade Rifle and Pistol Club today for some shooting. This place is huge, and there are a bunch of different ranges. The 200-600 yard range was empty, which is apparently the norm there. So, we set up at 200, shot for a while, including my 10/22 which is amazingly accurate at 200 yards. Then we moved to 300 yards for some fun. A guy came and shot with us for a few minutes on the 300 yard line, and it turned out he was a club director, and he asked us if we wanted to get certified to shoot on the 600 yard line (they make you do this since you shoot over the 200 yard shelter and they don't want holes in the building.) We gathered all our stuff and headed off to the 600 yard line and we both nailed our certification.

All these pics were taken with my iPhone, so excuse the quality.

On the 200 yard line.

[​IMG]

200 yards, through the scope.

[​IMG]

Paint balls explode when you shoot them.

[​IMG]

On the 300 yard line.

[​IMG]

I only had 5 rounds of .223AI left by the time we got to the 300 yard line (I had a bunch of my .223 fireforming loads still), and it took 3 to get it figured out. The third of the 5 rounds is the one at the bottom edge of the target. I clicked it up a few more clicks and fired off the last 2. Not a bad 2 shot group for 300 yards. :)

[​IMG]

Once I ran out of .223AI I kept shooting the .223 brass I was fireforming (still using 75gr A-Max). I shot the 600 yard qualifier with my standard 75gr A-Max .223 loads. Here we are setting up our stuff on the 600 yard line.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2009
  2. Mideel25

Mideel25 OT Supporter

nice looking range, do they have any pits for carbine stuff?

3. Oh, these targets in the rectangle were the ones we were shooting with the 10/22. They're about 3" diameter. When the wind was calm we had no problem making hits on them.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2009
  4. There are action bays, but the member I went with wasn't sure if you could fire carbines in them. I should find that in the rules. We did run some pistol scenarios in them though.

EDIT: I looked, you aren't allowed to shoot rifle caliber carbines in the action bays. :(

5. mstad

mstad New Member

Looks pretty sweet. I've been meaning to get a bunch of paint balls for that purpose since somebody mentioned it awhile back.

6. Mideel25

Mideel25 OT Supporter

:wtc:, it sucks trying to find a place you can as most places have line shooting only. It least its a good place to bring out the laser beam sticks.

7. Yeah, I have my parents' cabin if I want to screw around with ARs, so it's not the end of the world. This is the only place anywhere near me that gives you the opportunity to shoot out to 600 yards on a real range though.

8. mstad

mstad New Member

Not sure what that is suppose to mean unless your trying to say you suck regardless of bullet?

:mamoru:

9. :rofl:

10. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

I want a range longer than 200 yds to shoot on. :hsd:

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

fuck i wish i could shoot at 100 on the reg

12. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i zeroed my ACOG at 100 and shot 2 PR matches. thats about the extent of my long range shooting with that AR :o

13. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

I assume the 200 yd building is not occupied when firing from 600.

14. Correct. You can only use the range from one distance at a time. Though the guy I went with said it's rare to see anyone on the range, so you can generally shoot from whatever distance you choose.

15. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Don't SAS train with live ammo in hostage situations:noes:

16. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

One of my local ranges (Tulsa area) has a 1000 yard rifle range :eek3: A friend of mine is a member, we went there and shot his .308 to 600 ys I believe (may have been further than that, but its been awhile and I don't remember :o ). Memberships aren't outrageous, I'll probably go with him a couple more times and then get my own membership if I don't find anything wrong with it. . .

17. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Looks like a nice place..... Paying to play sucks, but I'd do that before I got stuck at the 50yd line.

Digging that paintball idea.... had not seen that before.

18. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

You running the stock pack for extra comb height, or as a fashionable accessory that holds stuff?

19. It helps a little with the height, and it holds a lens cloth for the scope, and now that I know my MV I'll make a little ballistic card to put in there too.

20. It's only $100 a year for a membership down there, and you can bring guests. There are also no rules other than common sense safety rules, and you're allowed to shoot .50BMG on the range where we were shooting.

21. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Cool Cool. I've got one floating around here somewhere - they are useful for a quick/dirty comb fix. I wondered if you'd run into problems with the NXS and that stock.

I think tomorrow I'm going to walk out on my back porch, lay down on a rug and bang some steel on my quickie 400 yd range. All while sipping ice tea. If it gets cold, I'll probably just move 30yd to the inside of a barn. /elitist farm kid talk.

22. I hope your gun explodes.

23. I'm thinking of getting shorter rings too, I've probably got almost half an inch between my scope and barrel.

24. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

fuuu

25. Phrozen, here's the barn you need to shoot in:
    This story really made me :hs:

http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/max357/houston.html