A&P I finally broke down and ordered the two different focusing screens for th 40D

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CornUponCob, Dec 17, 2007.

1. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

The EF-S (for my 85 1.2 and 135 f2 to help with fine focusing. I shot some model trains recently http://sammorgan.photocore.us/sets/18956 and at large apertures it's hard to judge focus down to the millimeter)

EF-D for the 17-50 or 10-22 (because I keep pelfing horizons and don't always have time to use live view).

I have 2 40Ds so I plan on putting one in each. I'll let you know how they are. Should get here in two days.

Also, here's something wacky (confirmed by myself and 3 of my photographer friends). When you put the 85 1.2 on the 40D and stop it down between 1.4 and 2.2, there is ZERO difference in brightness as you look through the viewfinder when using the Depth of Field preview button. Meaning, the viewfinder brightness does not change even if the aperture blades are closed to f2.2, yet it does have an affect on the picture (more DoF, more sharpness, less CA). If you stop it down to 2.5 and hit the DoF preview button you can finally see a change in brightness through the viewfinder.

It's tempting to say "well it's a crop camera so as you start to stop down it doesn't matter etc etc", but what you see through the viewfinder is what the sensor sees so this can't be the answer... Your thoughts? (also, not like it matters, I'm just curious)

2. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

in for review :)

how much were they?

3. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Not my set, somebody else's. I have more shots from an even larger more impressive layout, but I haven't finished processing them yet.

The screens were different prices (weird) at amazon. 29.99 and 32.99 I believe. I think they were more at B&H (like $35 each).

4. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

let me know how you like them. i don't manually focus much, but i could see where having the grid one would be useful.

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

i dont understand how people cant hold their cameras level.
    :rant:

6. ftslogger

ftslogger OT Supporter

Grids built in > Focusing screens. Most of the Nikons have the rule of thirds grid that you can turn on or off in the viewfinder. I keep mine on all the time. Its very nize. :run:

7. ballz

ballz Two of 'em OT Supporter

more info on focusing screens? I have never heard of these. I always have trouble focusing at night, but I just bought the ST-E2. it's not the reason I bought it, but I hear it helps.

8. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Got the screens today. They come with a handy dandy tool to make instilation easy. The grids help a lot without being annoying. The ground screen for faster lenses helps a lot as well, but I loose about a stop of brightness through the viewfinder. At least I can tell where I'm focusing though.

I can now see the front focus of the 100-300 f4 through the viewfinder itself, and not just through live view.

9. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

does autofocus still work with a focusing screen in?

10. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Indeed.

The you change a custom function to let the camera know which focusing screen you're using, but I don't really see why it needs to have that information. Instructions say "to ensure proper exposure", but I don't see how it could affect exposure.

11. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

BH is out of the EF-D screen :mad: