I finally broke down and ordered a buffer

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Scottwax, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I went with the deal on Autopia because it came with everything, including 3 pads for $179.95. Not a bad deal at all for a PC 7424 with accessories.

I have a customer with a new S500 with the PPG CeramiClear paint and that paint is really tough. No way is anything coming out by hand on that sucker.

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

now be carefull not to burn his paint :slap:

:p

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Someone want to give me a brief instructional on buffers? Are they used to apply product, buff it off, or both?

If both, do you then have to have 2 pads for each product (apply and buff)?

4. GSRstilez

GSRstilez New Member

With a buffer, you pretty much work the polish in til its barely there any more, then wipe clean with an MF. I haven't used it with AIO or a wax.

There are sooooo many more factors to take into effect, but thats basically it.

Scott: CONGRATS! Please do let us know how the detail goes and with pics of course :big grin:

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

my basic method put product on pad move pad around on paint to spread product, turn on on buffer slow at first to keep from spraying every thing within 50 feet as teh product starts to spread out better turn up the speed. Dont aply presure let the weight of the buffer do the work. Also keep it flat not up on edge if you go on edge you will cut deep into the paint then work until break down wipe off

another trick is to use green masking tape along high spots and seams to keep buffing compuond out of the cracks i also like to lay a towel across the windsheild to make clean up easier.

also make sure there is no dirt any wehre you are going to buff your pad will pick ip up and proceded to ruin your paint. i still do all waxing by hand and most glazing by hand just to save product

6. Scottwax

I mostly will be using it with SFP #82 and DACP #83. I may try it with Vanilla Moose too since I know several on Autopia who use VM with the PC. Waxing will still be done by hand.

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

ive tried VM with a biffer and found i jsut waste product it works just as well by hand

i use aggresive suff with the buffer and do the rest by hand

8. quamen

quamen New Member

I second that. For a long time I was thinking I would save time with the buffer for all steps and I found out that not to be. I only like to use the buffer to remove the defect and do the rest by hand. polishing and waxing

9. a red heart

a red heart Guest

you cannot burn paint with a PC.

people, this is an orbital, not a rotary.

10. Scottwax

I got it today! What excellent customer service! Ordered too late on Tuesday for it to be shipped out that day, but I still got it today (Friday). :bowdown:

I have already used it on my own car. I was going to skate tonight but we've had some passing showers on and off so I figured I play around with my new toy instead.

I used #9 and the cutting pad on some spider swirls on my trunk lid and scratches from the idiots at the tranny shop (real long story, 5 rebuilds then a completely different transmission) on the front fenders and some light cobwebbing on the hood. Cranked that bad boy up to 5, worked in the product, backed it down to 3 for a few more passes. There was a noticable improvement....too bad we had such low clouds that made it hard to see if everything was gone but the paint was noticably brighter and more clear.

I then went over my whole car with Vanilla Moose and the polishing pad with the PC set on 5. Not sure when the next shower might come by, I wanted to work quickly. Even though VM is pretty thin, I had no problems with it slinging everywhere. Again, a noticable improvement! Very clear and shiny!

Topped with Poorboy's EX-P and snapped a few pics, you'll see them when I get the film developed. I hope them come out okay since we had such low clouds.

If I get rained out tomorrow, I'll probably go to my Dad's and polish out his black 626.

11. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

:) Wow I haven't checked here in awhile.

Good purchase. I'm surprised you didn't buy one before this. :)