MIL I figured this is the place to ask : Iraq/Afgan/Kuwait contracting

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fintheman, Mar 19, 2008.

1. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

Okay,

I think I am one of the only nuts that wants to do this. I want to go to the Middle East as a contractor and I am having the damndest time trying to figure out who to contact besides throwing crap up on usajobs and kbrjobs. Anyone have any network connections from your time deployed?

I am former USAF and I have about 7 years total experience in the IT field specifically in network engineering and security. I'm about mid-level. I did have a top secret start processing for 2 years until my medical discharge. I am capable and fit as a civilian to go there without any major health problems except a bum ankle that got me out of the USAF.

I am 100% about wanting to go without any doubt.

2. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

weren't you a conscientious objector? not passing judgement, maybe i've got the wrong guy. just seems a little odd.

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

If he isn't holding a weapon, then it doesn't factor into his employment.

4. enfiniti

enfiniti How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

I have a few contacts at Northrop Grumman for that kinda shit. I just turned down the job to work at Lockheed though. Dunno if it would be cool to give out their email. Check their website and look for mission services out of Dayton Ohio or Baltimore MD. Know they have a ton of openings and if you have any DOD clearance, you should be good to roll

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

The contractors I've spoken to over here pretty much all say that they will train you if you have a TS clearance.

6. enfiniti

enfiniti How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

heard the same in my interviews. They dont expect anything from you other than the ability to get and maintain the clearance

7. armond

armond New Member

Agreed. Clearance is what mostly matters.

Try:

www.CSAKuwait.com
    Halliurton
    KBR
    DynCorp
    ITTSecurity(they are not just security)

I contracted for a year in Kuwait. If you wanna make the big bucks, gotta go Afghanistan, Iraq, or Saudi.

8. armywrx

armywrx New Member

So right now I am a 92F but I do have a secret clearance, that makes getting a job with one of these contractoring company easier?

9. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

what'd you do/how much did you make?

10. fintheman

I served my country proudly.....?

11. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

How long have you been out?

12. armond

armond New Member

Lowman on the totem pole, Security. The only good thing about security is the chance to network with EVERYONE that has to get on base. I didn't make too much, 1 year = approx 75-80K, tax free. But this was in Kuwait. Someone who was doing what I was doing in Iraq, would get approx 120K a year and more. The only thing I can say about it, was that I was the only person in my fam who ever went to anywhere in the Middle East.

Don't talk about logistics, HVAC, Vehicle Maint., etc. they are money makers compared to Security. Anything with some type of extensive training or college will typically get you somewhere in the 6 digits. Or in the VERY high 5 digits.

13. BillyJackNCoke

BillyJackNCoke I've got something to say, I raped your mother tod

I'm going to try to do that when I get done with my electrician school and get my license

14. fintheman

3 years coming this April.

15. i69UrMOM

i69UrMOM New Member

I heard they are getting more tight about who they take for Afghanistan and Iraq.

16. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

I'm prior service with a college degree- what kind of opportunities am I looking at, roughly?

17. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

How dangerous is it over there for contractors? I'd assume a lot less than it is for military folks on the front line, but still has to be a chance of getting blown up i'd assume.

So with an active TS/SCI how much could you expect to make out there doing some technical like IT?

18. armond

armond New Member

Do you already have a clearance? If so they are more willing to take you right away.

also @ widds, of course your chances of getting "blown up" are smaller. In Iraq or Afghanistan, but in Kuwait they might be a little higher in some cases. You do live on the economy with some companies, so there is more exposure.

A degree in something technical is of course going to wield a decent amount of pay, it all comes down to the needs of the company.

19. fixmefixmyhead

fixmefixmyhead Well-Known Member

if i am a 63b light wheeled vehicle repairer in the guard. and i get out in a couple years will i be able to go over and do vehicle maintenance? is it possible to request a secret clearance from the military if my job doesn't require it?

20. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

No, but secret clearances are handed out like candy nowadays im sure you could find some excuse for one. Shit they give them to like boatsain mates so they can write casreps :ugh:

21. BaronVonBullshit

BaronVonBullshit New Member

a guy i work with at boston center did air traffic control in afghanistan with WCG, i think. his first 80k was free as long as he was there for 11 months. he was there for 11 months. he said getting on and off base for leave was literally a taxi to another base where he would catch a C-17. pretty much life at the mercy of a taxi driver, no security.

22. EBK

EBK Hate hippies & hadjis

Thats fucking nuts

23. armond

armond New Member

Pretty much all the civ jobs in the Middle East REQUIRE a Secret clearance due to having access to a U.S. base in the desert.

Yes, vehicle maintenance is something they look for.

For example, here is an opening posted on www.csakuwait.com:

Position TitleMechanic (Wheel Vehicle)Job CategoryMAINTENANCEOffice RegionMiddle EastOffice LocationUS - Kuwait City, KuwaitEducation RequiredHigh SchoolJob DescriptionPurpose: Under close supervision, performs the full range of field-level overhaul work on chassis group units of one or more types of vehicles powered by internal combustion engines, gasoline or multi-fuel. Supervisory Role: None. Essential Duties and Responsibilities: 1. Performs the full range of repair and modification work on heavy/light equipment and vehicles powered by internal combustion engines. 2. Examine vehicles to determine extent of damage or malfunctions. 3. Test drive vehicles, and test components and systems, using equipment such as infrared engine analyzers, compression gauges, and computerized diagnostic devices. 4. Repairs, relines, replaces, and adjusts brakes. 5. Follows checklists to ensure all important parts are examined, including belts, hoses, steering systems, spark plugs, brake and fuel systems, wheel bearings, and other potentially troublesome areas. 6. Follows repair procedures, using charts, and technical manuals. 7. Tests and adjusts repaired systems to meet military performance specifications. 8. Performs routine and scheduled maintenance services such as oil changes, lubrications, and tune-ups. 9. Disassemble units and inspect parts for wear, using micrometers, calipers, and gauges. 10. Performs other duties as assigned. Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities 1. Education: a. High School Diploma or equivalent required. b. Apprenticeship in Light/Heavy Automobile Repair, Automotive Mechanic or similar preferred. 2. Experience: a. Approximately two (2) years experience as an electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic systems maintenance mechanic. 3. Specialized knowledge: a. Must have knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance. b. Familiar with the use of computer based technical manuals preferred. 4. Skills: a. Must have the ability to read schematics. b. The ability to troubleshoot, determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it. c. Must have excellent communications skills, both written and oral, in English. d. Requires a collaborative work style, fostering cooperation, and teamwork. e. Must exercise discretion and good sound judgment. f. Must have good understanding in the use of MS Office other related applications. Work Environment and Physical Demands 1. Warehouse environment, 48 hour work week; May be required to work an uncommon schedule including nights, weekends and holidays. 2. Must be able to work in extreme environmental conditions including dust and high temperatures. 3. Must be able to lift 25lbs continuously, 50lbs intermittently. 4. Must have the ability to wear a respirator for long periods of time. 5. Required to observe all safety and health requirements for office environment. 6. Must maintain a professional appearance/attitude, consistent with local customs and company policy 7. Required to observe all safety and health requirements particularly in the assigned work area. 8. Must have a valid driver’s license. Disclaimer This position description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required. esb61907

24. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

When I went to Camp Anaconda for Husky training, the lead trainer told me he was currently in the Army National Guard. He does his weekend and AT drills with whatever Guard unit is currently on his base. Six figure income + first $80K tax free + retirement points with the Guard FTW. :cool:

25. armond

armond New Member

Now that is FTW! Didn't realize that was truly allowed! Great to know for all you soon to be getting out of the military!