MMA I fight in 3 weeks. v.Advice.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by 2ofdem, Jun 19, 2007.

1. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I got myself a Boxing bout in 3 weeks.

Cardios pretty ordinary and am fighting 5 x 3 min rounds.
    I need some advice/motivation on what you guys think is the best way to get in good enough shape to last.

I had planned on knocking him out but with 16ounce gloves and headgear I may need a backup plan.

So far Jogging 30-35mins 3 times a week 3 rds heavy bag each morning. I know its not enough. 4 weights sessions a week mixed with a bit of light sparing.

2. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Ahh well Im taller and my hands should be better maybe I can just Jab him for 15mins.

3. Placebo

Placebo New Member

No. I don't have time right now, but go over to rossboxing.com now.

With it being three weeks out switch to weights 2 times a week and intense and brief anaerobic cardio 4-5 days a week.

4. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

First if you are doing 5 rounds you need ot do at least 5 rounds per work out. I would angle it more tward 8 or 10 MINIMUM. 4 pads 4 bag 2 shadow etc...

run 5-10 min warm up then onto sprints. 20 seconds sprint 10 second jog/power walk at least 12. and a 5-10 min cool down.

If you have access to an airdyne or vesaclimber thats better cause it works whole body.

I would start with explosion drills. (the sprint drill is one way) do the 20/10 on the bag (hard & fast punching/slower lighter punching, always MAINTAIN MOTION! NO STILL RESTING!)

If you have 3 weeks till the fight you have 2 weeks of hard sparring left. Spar at least 1 time a week hard (I prefer earlier in the week) and at least 1 or 2 more times med or light.

I dunno what kinda access you have ot trainers and equiptment and such so thats all i got for now.

5. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Run Sprints. Sprint 100 meters, then jog 100 meters, repeat until you die. Then do one more.

6. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I'm bad at jumping rope. :o

7. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Thanks for the help guys.

Heres the plan.
    I am gonna switch heavy weights to lower weights higher reps minimal rest.
    Cross trainer machine kicks my arse cardio wise so im gonna hit that for 20mins before and 10mins after weights.
    Sprint/jog drills are a sweet idea theres a park down the road for these Ill do these on non weights nights.
    7 x 3 mins heavy bag with 1 min rest mixed with some 2min skipping rounds.
    Got 1 Sparring partner who is close tot he size of the guy Im fighting the rest are too small so will go heavy with him and convince a smaller guy to do some light sparring with me 2 sparring sessions a week probably isnt enough but itll have to do.

8. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

How long have you been boxing?

9. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I started when I was 12 and Im 28 now but this is my 3rd fight and first one in 12 years. So I havent really boxed seriously ever it used to be a fitness/hobby thing in between my rugby/basketball commitments when I was at school.

10. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

if you know how to outside fight you can try counter punching. Work your foot work alot... dont rely on the jab because if your opponent knows how to effectively eliminate it then you have to have other things to rely on. 5 3 min rounds can be tough especially if your trying to rely on outside skills.

Your going to need to do alot of jab drills, counter punching drills and foot work. Work on combinations that work to your advantage mainly you want an entry objective and exit to every combination.

If your going to be using your range also try to get your opponent to chase you and frustrate them use a stance that you can claim distance with. The traditional boxing stance is tight and more for an in fight your going to want to have your hands out a bit especially your lead.

Alot of boxers use this stance it looks like the bruce lee stance and the one alot of karate people use

[​IMG]

thats the best example I can get. I think maywheather uses a similar stance its good for your jabs as well because it shortens the distance the jab needs to travel.

also learning how to throw your body behind the jab and step in properly with it you can have a very powerful jab like trinidads

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  11. Kuet

Kuet New Member

timmah wtf is up ??? arent you overseas or something?

12. Optamix

Optamix New Member

NO!

It got pushed back yet again.

The 30th is the new date.

I'm in FL on vacation with my GF. Its fucking beautiful here! This is right off the balcony of the house we are staying in.
    [​IMG]

What really sucks is there are some big fights Saturday that I was invited to fight in, but I thought I was gonna be gone so I turned down. Now I'm still here :( I really wish I was fighting.

Its really frustrating because I need money(SO BAD) and I can't get a job if I'm leaving at the end of the month. But I'm back on so many of my bills :(

13. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

where in fl and are you talking about the afc event

14. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I'm in Port St. Joe.

no, I was talking about the World Extreme Cage Combat or something like that. Its put on by the same guys that helped put on the Elite XC show. Its in the part of Memphis that drops into MS. I was finally gonna get to fight in a Cage :(

15. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Try looking on craigslist for odd jobs that make money. Here in KC there are always people with adds on craigslist looking to pay people to do odd jobs. Everything from moving some stuff at their house to helping do yard work or cut firewood. And they usually pay pretty decent. You might look into it.

16. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

my toes always end up hurting after i jump rope :o

17. Optamix

Optamix New Member

oooo

Thats a good idea!

thanks!

18. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Thanks man I had the plan of working the outside keeping him under control with my jab. I will end up inside occasionally as Im fairly large and dont mind throwing rips and uppercuts but only plan to stay in for a combo or two and get back outside. I will work on that karate type stance (I trained TKD for 4 years so)..

Also anyone think its worth working southpaw? I am naturally Right handed but can use both pretty decently.

19. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

if you can do both then do both during the fight... its an underused skill. most of the people I train with train both sides so they can do that. switch it up in the fight when your fighting as a righty bring your lead leg behind you like your moving to the side when your use your foot work and change stance on him and then start rocking him with a strong right jab.

when you do that you also leave yourself open for a very powerful streight punch. its called fumidashi ive seen a few boxers use it and man its a hell of a punch of you know how to use it. it will fold some one over,

bassically how it works is you will take your rear leg step forward making it your front leg then throw a fast punch with the hand that was the rear and and the moment you feel it touch you drop your weight on the front knee when you drop the weight your putting your body weight multiplied a couple of times into the punch.

20. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I worked on switching stance today no dramas with it at all Ill be doing that for sure. I worked on something similar to what you are talking about basically setting up the stance switch with a straight right and dropping my left foot back.

Im happier with my conditioning did 5x5min rounds on the heavy bag pretty solid this morning with 16oz gloves and it felt pretty good which really suprised me.

21. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah i was about to mention that train with a heavier ounce glove

22. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I fight this Sunday so Im gonna hit the gym for a light one tonight and rest up Saturday I am excited and a bit nervous but fairly confident. My conditioning is shit and I hope I can fight around that.

Whats everyones pre fight routines?

23. The Ghost

The Ghost Pain for Love

Are you a Pro?

I know amatures only fight 2 minute rounds.

5 three minutes rounds is going to be brutal if you're not already in fight shape.

24. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Amatuer its only 3 x 3 now actually so its gonna hurt but not too bad.

25. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I broke the Cage Curse by winning a decision.

Way out of shape really struggled in the 3rd round kept him at bay with the jab. He caught me with some good overhand rights which hurt a bit never got rocked thankfully his fitness was almost as shit as mine. I rocked him 3-4 times with a variety of punches got some real nice straight rights through. My left hand needs some work too it was basically only useful as a jab/hook.