SRS I feel so unaccomplished and intimidated by life.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CrispyGame, Feb 21, 2009.

1. CrispyGame

CrispyGame Stop staring at my avatar.

I'm 23, fresh out of college, and I just feel really unaccomplished in general. Case in point: I went to this event that was kind of like a career fair, but insisted it wasn't. It was kind of a free workshop combined with a mini-fair. Anyway, I couldn't keep focus from one relatively attractive girl's resume, who somehow got into a better school than I did, somehow got a better GPA (granted, mine was pretty good too), and had this laundry list of bullshit activities and jobs.

All I have to show for it is some volunteer work (which I'm doing now), a little stint with a temp agency, and two years of cashiering at Home Depot, and I spent most of my time at school just studying or playing Xbox. The only other things I did was join the accounting club (but everyone else who gave the slightest crap about their major did anyway) and do some little case study project, that of which I pretty much forget all the details of by now, and none of which is obviously getting me anywhere.

It's making me feel ridiculously inadequate for my age, and I feel like I'm just headed toward a downward spiral that might culminate in suicide, for fear of being perceived as uncompetitive. I've reached the point where I'm not sure if I want to continue pursuing an accounting job, and if not that, I don't know what else, and I feel obligated to take the CPA exam because a family member already paid the fees to do so.

2. northw3st

northw3st New Member

i got out of my cpa firm after one year. worst year of my life. do something else.

besides, it's not where you're at, but the direction you are heading. what you're feeling is normal. welcome to the real world.

3. Schadenfreude1

Schadenfreude1 New Member

Slow down. You're trying to be instantly successful... that's not how it works unless you're born into wealth.

Don't gauge your self-worth using some chic's resume (which is probably majority bullshit, BTW), and don't allow it to demoralize you. Do not let past perceived poor preformance affect your future efforts. That's fucking stupid.

4. CrispyGame

CrispyGame Stop staring at my avatar.

It's like I look at the thread about "what do you do" on the main page, and I don't know how people younger than me wind up with neat jobs. Like all the IT people younger than me that claimed to not even graduate. :ugh:

I feel like such a directionless loser that nobody gives the tiniest shit about.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

the problem is the computer games, if you focus on computer games it means you cant keep yourself busy with important things, only do important things in your life, computer games is just addicting stuff that keeps you away from living a real life.

6. northw3st

northw3st New Member

the real world makes a lot of people feel small and worthless. it's okay. don't focus so much on what others think of you. it's about what you think of yourself.

7. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

The key is just getting that first job and getting some expierence. After that, nobody gives a shit what your GPA was, or how many activities you had.

8. northw3st

northw3st New Member

it's true. there really aren't too many impressive candidates for jobs straight out of college. everyone wants experience.

9. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Something I learned far too late in my academic career is that you cannot compare yourself to other people. There will ALWAYS be someone smarter, better, or more accomplished than you in a specific area, period. You will drive yourself into the ground if you do this.

10. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

:werd: This is true. Even for me

11. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

I just knew there was going to be some kind of remark tacked on the end there :rofl:

12. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

:mamoru:

i just thought I'd kill several birds with one stone

13. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

:werd:

This comparison can be found among all walks of life and it goes by many names. It used to be called "Keeping up with the Jones' " whoever the fuck they were. The idea was the Jones' were this super wonderful, super successful couple that had perfect kids, perfect house, perfect lives and you weren't shit unless you measured up to their standards.

Funny thing is, these "standards" kept changing based on whims of others.

I learned long ago that it doesn't matter whether I'm keeping up with anyone else in life or not. All that matters is how I measure up to ME before or earlier in life. Am I making progress in areas that matter to me or not. If not, I adjust and refocus.

Fuck the Jones'....all they ever did for anyone was bring shame and misery.

The solution is called acceptance. Acceptance of myself where I am, as I am and doing what I'm doing. It's also about acceptance of others in the same ways.

14. Stev

Stev Active Member

Everyone has said it pretty clearly, but i guess my question is. If you feel under-accomplished, what goals do you feel you should have achieved? I mean is everyone in your graduating class have a job making 75k and you are the 1 guy out?

If you have goals, at least make them reasonable... Everyone needs to work their way.

15. Daria

Daria New Member

Don't compete with/compare yourself to anyone else. Compete with yourself. Be the best that you can be and follow the path that will make you the happiest, not the path that everyone else thinks is right.

You sound like a typical college grad, and there's nothing wrong with that. You've just graduated, so allow yourself some time to work at some crappy jobs until you find a place you really enjoy to work (good co-workers, nice hours, nice boss). It's not about how much you achieve, it's about what makes you happiest.

16. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

I'm an accounting major too. I should be graduating in May and I haven't lined up a job yet so I'm kind of in the same boat.

Isn't it true that to be really successful in accounting one should work for a public accounting firm after graduating college?

17. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

No matter how good you are at what you do, or experienced, or educated. There will always be someone better, more experienced, and more educated than you are.

18. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Seriously, you just got out of school and you want to successful. They don't call it a career if it takes no time at all to do. You know what I did for 4 years. I worked at a grocery store as a bagger, yes lowest man on the totem pole. I did this from 16-20. I hated the job but loved the people I worked with. All my other friends had full time jobs, ect ect. But you know what, I was happy with what I had. I was going to school I was doing what I could. But I was happy with who I was as a person, my job nor anything else told me who I was.

I am now a computer tech, I'm 21 and make 40,000 a year. You will get a good job and you will be successful but it is going to take time to do so. I believe you need to go to therapy if your already looking towards suicide.

19. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's called "perspective". You don't matter in the big scheme of things. Nobody does. What you need to do is make yourself useful to someone who has money and needs work done. Not that this is particularly easy in a shitty economy.

Also, when you do get a job, you're going to have to do a lot of shit that isn't fun. That's what makes it work. If it were fun, people would do it for free.

20. deusexaethera

It would be better to say it's "filler material". But yes, I play almost no computer games anymore, whereas I played for a couple of hours every day in college and before I got a job. I might play 2-3 hours a month now, between work, sleep, fixing the car, fiddling with workbench projects in the garage, etc. Not everything I do with my time is "important", but all of those things have in common is that they're persistent; the result of the effort I invest lasts for weeks, months, even years. Winning a video game means nothing once the moment is passed.

21. MP18

MP18 New Member

transitioning from school is difficult. you've worked your whole life up until that point to ready yourself for right now, and when you get here you realize that it isn't anything special, 20yrs of preparation so you can join the machine as another cog

everyone is in this same situation, those that skip it are the ones that win the lottery and are few and far between, come to grips with every other person in the world is going through. if you stopped and thought about it for a minute instead of being a self loathing emo, then you'd realize this and get over it

22. deusexaethera

It's not entirely fair to say it's nothing special. Getting a college degree is still the dividing line between being able to afford most of the stuff you want to buy/do/travel to, versus not being able to. However, nobody's going to hand you a life, and things to care about, to go with that paycheck. THAT is the secret we don't tell our children, so they'll focus on their studies, and THAT is the reason why the kids who goof off in class and copy the smart kid's homework always seem to succeed more -- because they were busy developing lives and interests to pair up with the paychecks they would one day be collecting. That's where brainy people really miss out. Ask me how I know.

23. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

does he have more experience than you? Perhaps he did better in school?

Maybe he's just better at selling himself

24. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

well there are many factors. Obviously, he was able to negotiate a better salary.

25. Ohmyashley93

Ohmyashley93 New Member

This might be my own Bs philosophy but i think in a way everyone is supposed to go through this sort of 'lost' feeling.
    it somehow makes you figure out what your going to do with the rest of your life.
    The key is to find motivation from within or from someone else to make sure you spend the rest of your life in a way that your proud of.
    Don't worry about the material things. [Although they are awfully delightful to have] just try to be proud of what your doing.

What's the point of having a career unless your passionate about it?
    I figure there are so many possibilities in college, so many career paths you can take. Maybe try taking some classes that are out of your element?

Hell join a book club. Idk.