SRS I feel like my entire life has been a lie.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by remike, Jul 10, 2005.

1. remike

remike the second coming

First is was Santa and the Easter bunny. Then I was told al these horror stories about drugs (mostly pot). Then I was duped into thinking that organized education isn't just obedience training. And of course the whole God and Jesus thing. Hell, I remember when I thought Thanksgiving was a cool, happy, positive holiday (even though I'm 1/8 native). My entire life I've been lied to. I have been lied to by my parents, my government, my teachers, even my friends. I'm a little sick of discovering so much of what I used to accept is bullshit. It continues to this day and frustrates me greatly.

2. Justin

Justin Guest

realizing how ugly the world can be is a part of growing up

3. JunKy

JunKy New Member

that study doesn't apply to any of the potheads i know. that study classified habitual use as "one joint a day". in my circle it was 2 blunts or nothing. :hs:

as for the thread starters dilemma. you can either be upset that people are bullshitting you, or happy that you can see thru it.

4. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

It sucks at first, but then you get to begin rebuilding on stronger foundations.

Things like the dismissal of religion and you can embark on a more realistic education.
    You have the rest of your life ahead of you, and now you are smart enough to enjoy it.

5. AO

AO New Member

Now that you know how others have lied to you, you now have to find out how you have lied to yourself, now you can see how you lie to others. That inner search may either make you a mystic or a scientist. But the journey has begun and your innocence is now lost.

I suggest Tai Chi or Zen. Although music, dance, paint or sculpt will do. Nah, just go out and plant a garden. Just don't forget that the canyon echo is beautiful, too, as is the grass that grows under your feet or the rain that falls upon your cheek.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  6. Madwolf

Madwolf New Member

I don't see what the problem is. No one said life was going to be easy, and it is stupid to waste it crying over such trivial things. I've never had a problem with anyone who told me of this ficticious characters. I've never come to the conclusion they were lying or being untruthful to me based on the fact that Santa isn't real. :hsugh:

Bill Clinton told everyone he didn't get head in office, but I'm not hopelessly crushed that he lied.

7. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Drugs are bad for you, education is more than discipline, especially higher education. Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy are all mythological, but I bet they help develop one's imagination. Learning the truth when you are older may make you stronger. While I'm atheist, it's possible Jesus was the son of God, and it's possible other religions are true as well.

Also, in general, you are only being lied to if it's proven to be a lie. In addition, is it still a lie if the person telling it has 100% faith that it's true?

Thanksgiving, alright, kind of a joke.

Are you in high school, just graduated? As was said before, these are very trivial things, and you are wrong about some of it as well. As long as you are not naive, you should be fine.

8. remike

remike the second coming

I'm starting my "senior" year of college. It's going to take me an estra semster though becuase I swithced majors at the beginning of last year. I know education isn't all bad, but I think the the education system is all bullshit. I'm never going to use this stuff.

9. AO

AO New Member

Try to stay away from politics, history and religion, then. (Seeing as you're now a senior it is moot, though). If you have the ability, a choice in the medical profession may be rewarding, such as becoming a Pharmactist (about $30 - $50 an hour after 5 year study, working in a big city for a major corporation, like CVS, WalGreens, etc.), dental assistant (about $75,000 a year), etc.

Heck, I'd be happy to work in waste disposal and recycling. It'd probably be more lucrative than City Planner where one designs highways or airports (about $100,000 a year).

But starting your own business is probably the best way to go. Were you bought up by parents who owned their own business? The coffee and donut vendors in NYC make over $100,000 a year. Then they complain about investing money, not habving medical benefits, paying too much tax, etc. Hoo, boy.

10. henroid

henroid dayum

Honestly, I think this is what growing up is about. When you're young you can't handle the real truth (though I disagree with you on the issue of Jesus of course), so you get it gradually fed to you as you get older. I mean come on, what would kids feel about their nation if they learned in grade school that Thomas Jefferson was boning his slaves?

11. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

What are you majoring in - and what makes you think you will never use it?

12. avsp

avsp "And we won't be together much longer Unless we re

You'lkl get used to it, & probably even forget about this feeling or even look back on it with wry affection whilst wrapping your own kids Christmas presents. Best of all though will be the heartbreaking pain of arguing with your teenage children as they scream about the worlds 'phoniness', ..., possibly.

There is a large body of artistic work that seeks to express the feelings you describe & the best stuff never really goes out of fashion. "Catcher In The Rye" &"Never Mind The Bollocks" spring to mind. Perhaps you could seek to distill it all down & write it up? Carefull not to get overly obsessed though.

13. CrimsonVonDoom

CrimsonVonDoom There Cannot be Two Skies OT Supporter

Look, if you can't be trusted to run your own life properly (which you can't), we're going to lie to you.

14. stratfiend

stratfiend New Member

When others demand that we become the people they want us to be, they force us to destroy the person we really are. It's a subtle kind of murder. The most loving parents and relatives commit this murder with smiles on their faces.
    -Jim Morrison

15. CrimsonVonDoom

CrimsonVonDoom There Cannot be Two Skies OT Supporter

if he's so smart, how come he's dead? :rofl: [/shameless simpsons plug]

but in all seriousness, I don't think I'll take my philosophical advice from someone on as many chimicals as Jim Morrison. I dunno, I just think I'm a little more... on the ball.

16. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Then you are not in the right major. It's a humanities major, right? That's one reason why I'm studying engineering and then plan on going to medical school. Either path, engineering or medicine, I will definitely be utilizing what I learned in school. I won't feel like I wasted years of my life just to jump through corporate hoops of getting that degree.

17. remike

remike the second coming

I'm an economics major. Both of my parents are small business owners / entrepreneurs... my dad is also a dermatologist. I plan on working for a limited amount of time before starting my own business.

He kind of wants me to go into medicine (he donates some of his time teaching at KU med center), but I don't think my GPA would allow me to get in. I seriously only take tests and do major assignments. I love science (mostly chem and biology, but I quit after the first of each because I hate my university's way of teaching them). A big part of my frustration is that I went to a small and very demanding private school all my life and now I'm a fucking number in a class of hundreds, some times even one thousand.

18. ItchyDog

ItchyDog Guest

Just a phase you are going through bud :) But in honesty you are perhaps at least partially right. But make your life easier and go with the flow. Yes, books say that if you stand up for what you believe in you will eventually succeed… that’s a lie, a big one at that. Sadly the more oblivious you are the happier you will be :(

19. B_RowL

B_RowL OT Supporter

Chemicals or no chemicals he was right on. Don't judge him because of his lifestyle, that was his desicision...not yours. I couldn't have said a better quote myself.

20. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Yea I'm going to move this to the asylum...

21. tris

tris New Member

Do we have a section for those who refuse to just grow up? Mike, you're a senior in COLLEGE now. Time to be a big boy, long past the time for you to understand that not only is this world NOT fair, but that yes, yes you WERE lied to. Think about those lies, though: Which ones made you happy? Which ones fostered feelings of self-confidence, or love? Which ones taught you something (this is most important) ?

Those lies were probably for your own good.

I'd also like to know how you've made it through not only 12 years of (presumably) public school, but also 3 previous years of study at a private college/university?

22. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Santa DOES exist :squint:

23. tris

tris New Member

I believe. :)

24. remike

remike the second coming

12 years at private school, 3 years through state university. I will have no problem getting though undergrad; I'm a very capable person. To tell you the truth, I can probably get my BA in Econ without changing my practically nonexistant academic discipline.

I don't think that I really got that much out of those lies. Santa Clause isn't that fun of a concept. I can honestly say that none of them gave me any self confidence (expect that derived from the fact that I can see straight through the BS). I know I need to grow up a little bit, but I don't like playing by the "rules" and don' really think I need to. Both of my parents are successful and didn't follow all the rules. Neither finished their undergrad degrees, and they are fine. The only reason I'm still going through the motions is because I love the social aspects of my education. Too close to stop now, ya know?

25. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

http://www.unmuseum.org/santa.htm

Saint Nicolas really existed :dunno:

We remember our saints for the good things that they did upon our earth. Like Jesus who died for us, so we may live. You know sometimes its not the behind lying facts which are important, but what message lies behind it. Some people search their entire lives to seek their holy grails (it may be cars,woman,money or even the actual holy grail itself) , but the message that Jesus speaks brings us life. And the lessons that he tought us brings us light in our lives, by teaching us how to bring love upon another. :) See , finally something to be positive about :wavey: God is love and that's no lie. :love: