GUN I feel like it's a dumb question, but...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Phantomlord, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Phantomlord

Phantomlord New Member

What does it mean to bubba an sks? Is there someone that wouldn't mind explaining and/or providing pics or links that are good examples?

I can feel my name creeping onto a special olympics entry form for asking because I feel like I should already know this. :ugh:

2. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

I'm pretty sure that's to lock the bolt back, insert a round into the chamber, and then drop the bolt on it.

3. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

:rofl:

That would qualify, but it means to equip your SKS with every ATI product known to man, cheesy scope mount, shell deflector, Dragunov stock, tactical sling, etc etc..

4. Phantomlord

Phantomlord New Member

Oh, so basicly trying to add everything and a kitchen sink to it.

Out of curiousity, is there a scope mount that doesn't qualify as bubbafied? (cause I have a replacement reciever cover weaver rail mount [not from ati] that's rock solid that I was thinking of sticking a scope on my chinese sks)
    I'm learning things here :p

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

It's also used to mean doing anything to one that's not factory original.

Swapping a stock out to an ATI is considered bubbaing one. Personally, while I like the old rifles, I would rather upgrade mine to a more comfortable stock and like the Nagants, but a scope on it to make use of it's ability for long distance shooting. :)

6. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

My bad, on 10-8, a "bubba" load is what I just described.

7. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Long as it holds zero under duress, not really bubba'd up, though, personally, putting a scope on a 200-300m minute of pie plate weapon is a little :hsugh:

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Generally the reciever cover scope mounts are trash, even ones that seem to be tight end up shifting slightly durring transport and stuff. The two best ways mount a scope to an SKS are a) the proper way drill the reciever for a side mount rail like AK's use. b) quality scout mount setup that replaces upper handguard.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

And usually it doesn't include just trying to turn the poor rifle into an ar15 with the latest in tacticool toys, it also includes home gun smithing where bubba has gotten out the dremel and cut off the grenade launcher and bayonet or done some sort of other hack of a modification.

To me the SKS is what it is. If it doesn't do it for you out of the box, you're probably better suited with a different rifle. Most people want to make it into something else though.

10. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

[​IMG]
    :hsugh:

I hear S&K makes a good scout mount. They claim to hold zero. Theyre around 80 bucks.

11. Phantomlord

Phantomlord New Member

:rofl: this is true
    the reciever cover one that I got fits tighter than the factory cover, so I'm going to give it a shot. Also, I've shot ones with the upper handguard replaced mounts, and I didn't like the fact that they rocked with my finger poking them. other than a scout mount that replaces the regular sights, I guess it's hit or miss with a scope. Literally...

I was thinking of that pic or the one from the arguing on the internet macro. I think I spent less than $80 total on the scope and mount. Hopefully it won't go so bad... :x: