MIL I feel like I'm in a rut. Will the military "Accelerate" my life?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by hsugh knight, Jun 19, 2008.

1. hsugh knight

hsugh knight Guest

so basically I'm 23 years old and I fear that I'll live a pointless life of obscurity unless there's a dramatic intervention in my life.

has the military been a catalyst for you guys and gals? :hsd:

2. luke2o9

luke2o9 New Member

You might really like it and decide to do the whole 20 year thing. I recommend you pick a MOS that will give you skills that will be useful in the civilian world. I have friends that have been out the service making 6-figure salaries, without any certificate or degree. For me personally, had I not joined I probably would have went to college and done something I wouldn't like for a job. It was after the military that I found out what I really wanted to do and right now the GI BILL is helping to pay for schooling. Since the military I've had a better sense of direction for myself. I'd say go for it but know what you're getting yourself into. Good luck!

3. Mitsukillinsi

Mitsukillinsi Active Member

The Navy is worth it to me but I agree with luke. Get a job thats worth a damn in the civilian world. Im an Aviation Ordnanceman and there really isnt a job out there for me lol.

4. hsugh knight

hsugh knight Guest

that's cool. what did your friends do?

But aside from the career aspirations for a moment, is military life exciting? do you guys feel like you're doing something important?

5. luke2o9

luke2o9 New Member

Well in the service they were mainly aircrafts mechanics or electricians. Most of us did 5 years and I can tell you the first 2 years sucked for me (schooling and being a boot) but the last 3 years were an absolute blast. Even the shitty deployments were fun because we made it fun. I have stories that you would never believe and I keep in touch with most of the guys I've worked with. It's really what you make of it. There were times we'd worked 6 days a week for 16 hours a day, even more when we were in Iraq but that's why I have a much easier time dealing with crap in the civilian world. When I first got into the fleet I wasn't really happy to tell you the truth but one of my SNCOIC counseled me (unofficially) and told me that I was doing more than most people ever will, and I have to agree. Just know you'll start from the bottom and work your way up and the military will be what you make of it. As far as what my friends are doing now, many of them are quality assurance, engineers (some of us had actually finish college after getting out of the service), or other tech related fields. If you feel that you have no direction in your life right now, I'd say do it because I'm almost certain you will not regret it after all is said and done. And btw, I was also an aircraft electrician and as far as job satisfaction goes, it always made me feel good to do a job right, fast and tech junior Marines the rope. It's also good knowing you were responsible for making a flight/mission happen but I'd say there were also a lot of shitty times but that's just like the rest of life I suppose.

6. hsugh knight

hsugh knight Guest

can you tell us one of your stories?

the only stories I have from work are who got eliminated from Survivor or which celebrity is dating who. :o

7. luke2o9

luke2o9 New Member

It wouldn't do you any good for me to tell you any of the stories I've experienced because it's like a joke among close friends, no matter how I'd explain it, you just wouldn't get it. If you're willing to make that commitment and giving up 4-6 years of your life, then there are a few things I recommend you do before and during your time in service. First, unless you're absolutely sure you're not ever going to go to college, I recommend you try to get the college fund on your enlistment contract. While you're in I recommend you contribute to the kicker and try to take some college courses if you can because you might just learn something about yourself.
    Like I said, if you're joining the military make it work for you as well. Learn your job, get promoted, make plans to stay in the service and plans to get out the service. I know it's a big step but I think 95 percent of people who join the service don't know what they're really getting into and it's one of those things that is so hard to explain with words you just need to experience it to know what it's like. I really don't think there are too many people that regrets joining the service, the biggest complaint I hear from people who have served is wishing they had chosen another MOS.

8. hsugh knight

hsugh knight Guest

9. Mitsukillinsi

Mitsukillinsi Active Member

well like they said if you wanna be a merc than no better way than the french leigion

10. XreverendChi

XreverendChi New Member

i'm not sure how it will make your feeling of obscurity anything other than worse, but it might give you a "purpose" i guess

11. SporkLover

SporkLover New Member

It's a good way for people without direction to find some..... and people who have issues making good personal decisions equip themselves to do better for themselves....... but then again to get the full benefit that the military can bring to your life you have to be willing to improve yourself first. It is not THE answer.... however can provide you the opportunity to have worldly experiences and you can draw from those experiences to help you decide where you want to be in life.

12. Hisma

Hisma OT Supporter

i felt the same way as you when i joined. I hated working in a cubicle, felt like I was stuck in a rut, wanted to travel & get out of my home town. That's why I joined. It satisfied me in every way.
    Try to get a job that can be relevent in the outside world. They have rates like IT, FC, nuke, AT, etc that can be big $$ in the civilian world.
    For me, military life has been very exciting (though after 5 years I'm ready to be a civilian again), it's all in what you make it of it. You meet some people who absolutely despise the lifestyle.

13. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Very much so.

Lord knows what I'd be doing if I stayed at home. I joined when I was 24 and found myself stuck in a rut of sorts as well.

14. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

If you're combat troop private security is there if you get out after 5-7 years.