I feel like I work with everyone at TheDailyWTF

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hsmith, Oct 19, 2009.

1. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

This "architect" I work with is driving me INSANE.

His latest design:

He wrote a custom authorization block for ASP.NET

So, sometimes people need to reauthenticate if they see some PII. So to do this, he wrote a windows form message box, which he invokes and shows IN THE AUTHORIZATION BLOCK.

Yes, a process executing on the server, apparently, will show a message box on the users machine. Ah but yes, it WILL work locally on HIS machine. But, he failed to test it on any other machine.

Plus add in the fact anyone with a brain would realize the flaw in this approach

FUCK

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

There's only one way to deal with that situation productively.

1) Be totally ABOVE it. It does you no good to get mad. Caring does not necessitate outrage.

2) Learn from it. Two conclusions: A) well paid architects are often morons. Career implications. B) Maybe he did that for reasons you can't tell from your seat, like a last minute fix. Not saying thats the case, but consider it. Sometimes you make something kinda crappy for project pressure reasons. C) What you would do better.

3) If you're not pissed, if you're above trying to prove someone wrong or take credit... you can often fix these situations. Like asking the architect why he did that in a way that has him explaining things to you that he'll like. If you're not judgemental, if you're pragmatic, you can often upmanage and have a profound effect on a system even without authority.

Finally...

4) If your workplace sucks, if you aren't surrounded by brilliance... leave. Find somewhere you aren't the smartest guy in the room. You obviously care, and thats a hell of an asset - most people don't give a shit.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Well, I was going to bash Peyomp for shitting on architects, until I remembered that architects are kind of a bastard hybrid of mediocre programmers with mediocre design skills, and furthermore, I agree with everything else he said, so I'll let it slide. ;)

To put what he said differently, love is love and business is business -- don't take your work personally. Care, but only care with the part of you that shuts off when you go home in the evening.

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

This will go a long way in any job! Good advice peyomp! I work with a guy who constantly looks at what people do wrong (in his mind) and he comments on how stupid they are. I have tried working with him in what I call a, "delivery approach." He is working on it (which is more than most people can say). I have learned that by asking questions to individuals you can many times bait them to the conclusion you wanted them to come to. And, instead of yelling/belittling them...they think it was half their idea! Brilliant for co-worker morale!

5. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

while i agree with what he is saying, i am the one left picking up the pieces all the time. sadly, out of 10 or so .net developers, i know i am the most sr in terms of talent (half of them are converted cold fusion failures).

i mean sure, i do stupid shit programming occassionally, but if i do and someone calls me on it i will correct it.

this guy CONSTANTLY fucks up and constantly ARGUES that he is RIGHT.

He argued with me about memory management, he was setting variables to null and claiming he could reuse them later. he was using database connections and setting them to null afterwards, causing apps to eventually crash due to memory mismanagement.

He told me to PROVE to him that his methods weren't causing memory leaks. Some dumbass that thinks because .NET has garbage collection you don't have to close database connections or file streams :ugh:

Hey, we all make mistakes, but being wrong and arguing you are right just is annoying.

6. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i just have to vent with people who grasp programming and dealing with other programmers :o

7. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Well, I have leveraged his failures to our government managers to push for better quality control - code reviews, pushing for NUnit testing integration, build servers, etc.

i mean, if they want to head down this route, you can't just have someone writing an enterprise block without the proper quality control.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If your job really sucks, then move on. And think about leaving the Microsoft hemisphere. You find more passionate, talented people in FOSS land.

9. deusexaethera

"If I change your code and it doesn't crash anymore, will you accept that as proof?"

Then, if your approach works better but he still makes the same stupid mistakes, tell his boss.

10. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

nah, I can't complain all that much. I have amazing latitude at what i can do :o

actually, this is the happiest i have been at any of the 4 companies i have worked at. most are filled with idiots, but at least here i have been allowed to do things

11. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

My boss is well aware and i am letting them deal with it. Our govt manager has an idea and knows I am a go to person, so I am content with that :o

12. deusexaethera

What your customer knows about you is only useful if your boss is cool with letting you deal with the customer directly without your boss' oversight. Learned that one the hard way. Sad thing is, the customer stopped getting exactly what he wanted within minutes of asking once that privilege was taken away.

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If you're not happy in your workplace, its probably because IT is an afterthought there. Quality of life is utterly superior at product companies run by engineers. Seek one out. You'll thank me later ;)

14. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Damn...this thread has helped me tons. Thanks guys.

The company I work for and the VP line specifically has a reputation for promoting non-technical people to management positions. This wouldn't be so bad if the non-techie bosses had an appreciation for some of the complexity of the systems.

Today I spent the better part of 2 hours trying to explain to my boss that we couldn't make the change he was requesting in one system because it's already synched with another system so the changes will be overwritten. The change he requested actually had to occur at a different level and the synch would take care of the rest.

He didn't understand my answers, asked a different question then when I answered that one claimed that it was a different answer. Well yeah....it was a different question.

Great advice Peyomp and I agree....I can adjust and overcome or move the fuck on. IT is totally an afterthought at this company.