SRS i feel like i lost the battle, not getting anywhere in life, but i shouldnt be

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by quamen, Sep 17, 2009.

1. quamen

quamen New Member

Everything i have ever done in my life, always took forever. all my friends got jobs pretty quick out of going to school for 4 years, where it took me 7 years because i opened up a small business. I worked my ass off in the small seasonal business, but still didnt make enough money to live on my own because it was seasonal. I graduated school last year with my BA degree, and continued doing my business. Seemed like i could never make enough money to afford my own home etc, so i just recently joined the police academy part time college. I always wanted to become a cop, and i went to school for criminal justice, but now that i am in school and most likely will be an employee for a police deparment, i just feel like i failed big time.

I was never intersted in business until i opened my business up while attending college, and i always dreamed of becoming a big business owner and being my own boss, even my initial goal was a police officer. Now that i am almost there to becoming a cop, i just feel i failed miserable and wasted 6 years trying to run a successful business. I know i will like the job as a cop, but i just feel owing your own business and controlling your own future is the best opportunity in the world, but i never achieved that goal. i dont regret going for my BA or joining the police academy, but i also feel like i am overwhelmed as well. not used to going back to school 3 nights a week and all day Saturday for 10 months until i graduate. feels as if my life is more hectic and makes me want to give up. Now i am back at school working my business part time and i am going ot be 28 years old living in my parents house. I just feel so immature and i couldn't make enough no matter how i tired to support myself in terms of my living condition. also all the time i put into my business and feels like i got stuck at a certain point and couldnt go further. It was a small mobile auto detailing business, alot of labor but made a decent dollar at the end of the day, but living in the northeast business is so seasonal.

2. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

It sounds like you really want to be a cop, but know that you'll never make big money being one.

If you ask me, you shouldn't feel like a failure. At least you gave the business thing a shot, now you're giving the cop thing a shot. Owning a business isn't for everyone, if it's not in your heart, why continue?

Lots of cops own homes and have families.

Maybe you just have to choose...to follow the dollars or to follow your dreams. I personally respect the guy who follows his dreams.

3. CaminoReal

CaminoReal Custom User Title

Can you not keep running your business while you're an officer?

If you really wanted to expand your business, why haven't you moved to a metropolitan area in the southwest/southeast?

Sometimes parts of our lives have to be scrapped to move onward and upward...

4. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

What are your friends careers that are so amazing?

5. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

You can be a cop and run a business. I know a guy who's a full time deputy with LASD, runs a hair salon, and is a professor.

6. quamen

quamen New Member

thanks guys for all the input, and i didnt really put to much thought into this. Yes i can still run my business while being a cop, and have someone run it while i am working. My friends an electrical engineer, the other computer programmer and one is a teacher. Yeah i do want to become a cop so bad, and that is a dream but i guess i wish i could have made an empire of a business, even though i wouldn't spend crazy i guess just to prove to myself i did it. I think another big problem is just my stress level seems shitty when having to go back to school and juggle work at the time along with other things, maybe my time management is not good.

7. quamen

quamen New Member

thanks guys for all the input, and i didnt really put to much thought into this. Yes i can still run my business while being a cop, and have someone run it while i am working. My friends an electrical engineer, the other computer programmer and one is a teacher. Yeah i do want to become a cop so bad, and that is a dream but i guess i wish i could have made an empire of a business, even though i wouldn't spend crazy i guess just to prove to myself i did it. I think another big problem is just my stress level seems shitty when having to go back to school and juggle work at the time along with other things, maybe my time management is not good.

8. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

You tried to start a business in a bad economic time, its pretty good you were able to still make money. I think if you really want to own your own business then do it. Become a copy until your business really starts to pick up and just do the best you can. Its not easy to start your own business. As for jobs, you have your whole life ahead of you, my father has changed jobs so many times. Just recently he went from doing constuction on the highway to being a computer manager. Bit of change but why not right?

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The only useful thing I have to say is that this belief is wrong, for two reasons:

1. You always control your own future, whether it's building a business and selling it and building another, or quitting a job you hate and getting a new one you like, or moving to a cabin in the woods and eating what you kill.

2. Sometimes the best opportunity for you is to be excellent at making someone else's great idea that you agree with come to life. Not everyone has the inspiration to do something new and unique on a large enough scale that it can pay all their bills, but not everyone needs to do that either. There are plenty of good causes in the world that have all the inspiration they'll ever need, but not nearly enough labor to actually get anywhere. Just because you're not the idea guy, that doesn't make your contribution any less valuable.

10. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I don't think you are a failure, because you did all you could and never gave up. And that's a winners attitude. To stand above it all, requires capacity and getting capacity is done thru severe training. So i don't think there is anything wrong with your attitude, i think it was just a lack of capacity, but the good news is that you can train your ass off to become strong, mentally and physically to complete earthbound tests. And i think its wise for you to choose the most logical routes in your life and gain capacity and knowledge to deal with the things that life throws at you.(oh yes and the meaning of life is to love and help others while taking good care of yourself)

11. schmitty101

schmitty101 You might remember me from such films as "Dig your

There is no reason why you can't be a cop and run your own business part time. A lot of cops/firefighters own side business and make really good money. My neighbor used to be a firefighter who owned a small business took off enough for him to quit his firefighter job and work for himself full time.

Also, keep in mind that the majority of people in their 40's-50's are making money doing things that they never though off when they were in their 20's......just goes to show that you never know where life will take you.

12. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

IMO you really need to study business stories more because there are plenty of business stories that do NOT meet your pre-determined ideas for success. There are plenty of people that launch new businesses well into their 40s, 50s, 60s and on and on.

Look at people like Colonel Sanders, founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken. He had this great recipe for chicken but noone wanted to buy it. IIRC, he was in his 80s before someone finally picked it up.

Or what about Walt Disney? I heard that he had to go to something like 150 banks before he found one that would loan him money to start Disneyland. Now I don't know if it was more or less than 150 but it was a LOT of banks. Way more than 50. How many people would keep up the search after so much rejection? How many people would give up after just 10 or 20 rejections? How many people would give up and just say, "Meh, guess I'm not destined to be a business man."

You started a business and kept it going for years. This, IMO, doesn't make you a failure at all. You learned what works and what doesn't and perhaps while you're on patrol, you'll be more kind to your past career. You may even realize that you weren't that into your past business because it kept taking you further and further away from your dream job of being a cop. Combine that with a known shelf life for cops, generally young men get into police academies because of the physical demands, and you may have been sabotaging your past career. These ideas may have been working against you subconsciously and once you scratch the police officer itch, you may realize that you still have plenty of time in life to start another business or even 5 or 6 more of them.

Why not change your focus. Look at the police job as the realization of a dream and enjoy the opportunity? Why not close down the other business completely and just throw yourself wholly into being a cop? I think you should give yourself permission to really enjoy being a cop and realize that not everyone can do that job even if they really want to.

I'm old enough to know what these late 20s comparisons can be like. I watched my friends all getting bigger houses, newer cars, and generally living a BIG life. I was stuck living in an apartment and struggling to save any money while they seemed to be on easy street. However, they were in debt up to their eyeballs while I was paying off debt. Eventually, I rocketed past them because I was building a solid financial foundation for my future.

Don't just look at your friends things as to how successful they are. They might be one paycheck away from declaring bankruptcy.

13. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Then why don't you move somewhere that it's not seasonal? You seem to be giving up way too easily. You're only 28, your life is nowhere near over. If business is what you are into then work hard to get what you want. Don't waste your time doing more and more school, it sounds like you just took the easy way out because you didn't want to work harder at your business.

14. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

You could also merge the two things into one. There's no reason you can't start up a securities business. You could open some kind of hardware shop that specializes in security items and expand that inventory also to include fire rated items. Do sprinkler/security alarm installations, and all that jazz.

advertise to contractors putting up homes. Fire rated hardware is especially a safe sell because if you can get into that market, those types of things are required by law and that creates an immediate demand for them.

15. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

You set up your own business bro, that's not a failure. The knowledge learned is extremely valuable and you leaned those lessons when it's most affordable.

So now you have a degree, have ran your own business and am considering becoming a cop.

This isn't a battle lost, your doing great IMO.