SRS I feel like I have an inferiority complex

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Finesse, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Finesse

Finesse Back for the First Time

I've just recently started my college career this fall semester, everything's been going great and I've done very well for myself socially. As a high school student I was always good with people but I never cared academically, however I did pretty well for myself on the ACT and got into a decent college.

But now that I'm here all I want to do is win. I constantly stress about my grades and how I'm managing my time at any point in the day. I feel like if I make anything below a 3.5 this semester I will have ruined my future. I know this is completely irrational and ridiculous but I can't stop the thought of ending up an average Joe completely consume me...

My parents have never been adamant about me making stellar grades, but I guess the fact that they're both professors gives me this that I need to be part of the academic elite. My sister, who's 3 years older than me and a senior at the same university just recently took the LSAT and did phenomenal. She will most likely end up at a top tier law school, and as happy as that makes me it also makes me completely envious. And I feel like if I don't do anything as good or better I will be looked at as the loser.

Once again I know all of this is completely irrational thinking, I just wanted to vent a little. :hsd: Thanks Asylum

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Your life is your problem, and you become what you make of it. I therefore see it as a 'healthy' drive , that you're going to do everything in your power to make the best of your future.

The thing is just that 'you shouldn't become a victim of the paranoid', quite frankly you don't have the time to worry about becoming an average joe, rather redirect that energy into positive workforce to become an exellent student.

The thing is you did good by 'CARING' academically, and you should streamline the details of your life into becoming an even more exellent student.

My advice: Keep focusing on what is important. Drive is important, but do not submit to 'doom scenario's' , because even if you fall into a pit or become an average joe there's a way to climb out of that pit or exceed into something beyond an average joe. The thing is it just costs years and years of wasted time its this that you want to avoid.

So my end advice is: Just keep going for gold in your life!

3. I was about to say pretty much exactly what DarkEternal said. I consider myself a pretty good student and go to a decent school. I worked my ass off in high school because my parents hounded me about it and after a while I just did it on my own because I liked seeing people's faces when I would get stoned as fuck during the week, party all weekend and then get an A on every assignment. :rofl: Just continue to push yourself, don't make school/success your LIFE though. I have learned that and know that I want to do well in life but I don't want to be so concerned with being the best, the richest, or the smartest that I don't have time to live the life I'm working so hard to attaining. I feel like some people spend their entire life trying to do well in school, to get the best job, and once they have that job they want to make so much money and work so many hours. Their whole life they are rich as hell, but work IS their life and that is sad. They neglect themselves and their families and never just have fun. By the time they are retired they're 50 years old, rich, have little to no REAL friends, just other rich buddies and are probably very sad on the inside. I do NOT want to be "that guy". I want to be comfortably rich, go on a lot of vacations, and just LIVE LIFE.

"Work to live, don't live to work" That's my motto and I recommend it to you as well. ;)

4. I wouldn't say fucking up on your grades is 100% result in your life going in the shitter and you lose everyone around you. That is kind of the ideals crazy parents use to make sure their children get good grades, when in actuality, it is just not true.

5. Finesse

Finesse Back for the First Time

Thanks for the advice guys! Each response has given me something new to consider and puts a lot in perspective .. I appreciate it :)