I feel like I dont' care about the gym anymore...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by nukegoat, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

This is somewhat of an emo post but basically I can only really convince myself to begrudgingly work out like twice a week recently. I feel sorta shitty about it but at the same time, its like I never really got anywhere in the gym anyways so not much of a loss. I can think of a number of excuses... I'm tired, my head hurts, I hate my gym (I really do), I don't want to be sore, I'd rather do something else, etc.

After 20 months of bulking and the past 4 months of cutting I'm better than I was before... slightly leaner and with more muscle mass but I'm still pretty weak. Even when I go to the gym, its not like once I start working out I feel better or after I'm done I feel better. I find it hard to stay for my whole workout half the time because I'd rather just leave. I get extremely tired as soon as I get home and generally just eat something and crash.

This isn't a question of finding logical rationale to go to the gym, but moreover just a question of motivation. Is just the consistent caloric deficit killing my motivation? Until I started cutting I used to get to the gym a lot more. Is the lack of results just making it seem less worthwhile than it is? Is it low testosterone? What the hell?

2. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

If you don't want to be a bodybuilder, don't cut. The worst part of my day is spent on the treadmill, I fucking hate it, but I love lifting and I enjoy bodybuilding. If you don't enjoy it try going back to just eating regular and lifting and see if you get your motivation back. You can be like christophers, except with the ability to grow facial hair.

3. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

How many calories are you eating?

4. jonno

jonno New Member

i really dont know what to tell you man.. if you dont enjoy it or have a goal to go for then dont do it.

5. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

happeend to me on my caloric deficit, not that bad, i still managed 3 days a week and i'd get pumped but FUCK ME i've been eating 3 - 4k cals everyday for the past almost 2 weeks and i've been going crazy in the gym and its so bad ass, you should start eating more its so fucking awesome.

6. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

I don't understand why people have to either be powerlifters or bodybuilders either... I just wanted a judicious mix of both strength and size without a lot of body fat covering it. I mean... regardless of my objectives though, they weren't unrealistic and I think that I was doing what was necessary to attempt to achieve them. For a while I enjoyed lifting just for the sake of lifting weights... but that was back when I liked my gym and Grouch and I were lifting together. Having a lifting buddy just to pal around with while you're at the gym makes it more fun... we were bulking back then though.

7. sadangryboi

sadangryboi New Member

Dude I LOVE the gym, it's my best friend. I LOVE working out.

I can't seem to get enough of it, but my body goes failure so I hit it the next day.

Maybe you will have a change of heart later on.

Rich

8. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

around 2200-2500 a day

i started in march at 6'2, 230... now im down to around 200. I was benching 155x12 back then, now im like 145x12. Deadlift max was around 365, now its probably closer to 315.

:wtc:

9. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

Listen To What The Fuck I Said Nuke, Or I Kill You.

10. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

That's basically the short-term calculus that has been keeping me from the gym... if i'd rather just not go, then why go? It feels like I'm obligated to go though, and I feel subconsciously guilty/shitty if I keep slacking

11. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

:ugh: I've bulked before. Back then though, I used to think I was making progress.

12. sadangryboi

sadangryboi New Member

Take a break, go back once you feel like you need to get a bit back in shape.

Don't force yourself to do something unless you have a goal set that makes you have to.

Rich

13. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

i didnt say progress, i said bulking is motivating, so start eating more, go to the gym and go fuckin nuts.

it makes you feel better, and more hyped and you have way more energy, just do it, stop crying.

14. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

progress is motivating for me

15. tkluu

tkluu New Member

i feel guilty if i dont goto the gym

16. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

cutting can make you go crazy.

17. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

truth.

18. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

I am not saying become a powerlifter or anything. But just don't worry about cutting so much. Eat a little below maintenance and if you don't like cardio don't bother with it. The weight loss will be slow, but strength gains should be very possible and maybe you will enjoy yourself more.

19. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

That's how I feel when I'm cutting. It takes a lot of motivation to go to the gym and once I'm there I feel depressed and want to leave. If I stay I don't put in much effort.

20. Intellex

Intellex Dogs love me cause I'm crazy sniffable OT Supporter

It's the same with most things in life, if the thought doesn't motivate you, you're not going to find the energy. You have to really want some part of it. If you do, then look for something that can excite you in your goals and use that. If not, then be ok with bulking, there's nothing wrong with that.

21. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Jesus, this is the second time today I've had to use this:

[​IMG]

22. pt

pt New Member

True story. I'm hoping to never dramatically cut calories again.

23. Werdna

Werdna Livin' the SLO Life...

yeah the lack of motivation while cutting does suck sometimes...it can be pretty damn depressing getting weaker every week. you just gotta want it bad enough though, and be willing to sacrifice where need be. enjoy getting leaner every week instead of stronger. enjoy the feeling is eating healthy and feeling good.

bulking was fun as hell because you eat whatever you want all day long and get stronger every week. i'd say just "clean bulk" on a permanent basis, and if you get too fat, then start dieting. pick one thing and just concentrate on it: either get big and strong as fuck, or get lean and shredded.

24. pt

pt New Member

:werd: That would probably apply to the majority of OT F & N, many of whom never want to be 200+ lbs.

25. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

:rofl:

-Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.