I feel liek crying right now

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by idontgiveashit, Sep 2, 2002.

1. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

well today i fryed my D2, that isnt even payed off yet. I think i fryed a mosfet rail, but im not sure, the power light comes on, A little static comes out of the subs when its hooked, but not enough to move the subs. What happened was, i was drving along and it got a lil quieter, and then all of a sudden it stopped. i got out, looked at the sub first, its screwed, surriound is completely ripped and locked totally. Then i smell it, the magic smoke. First from the box, and later when i take my amp out it smells nice also.
    So the question is, how much does it roughly cost to put in a mosfet rail, and while im at it does anyone know what it costs to mod it to 1 ohm.

2. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

If your pushing a speaker so hard as to rupture the surround...you deserve to have your shit break. Thats stupid. Stagith up equipment abuse. An amp that big shouldent fail under moderate loads, which should be plenty loud given its size. But you push it to the max, well beyond its speck...and no you want to drop it to a one ohm load?! You need help.

3. 04

04 Guest

:confused:

I assume he was using a 1ohm speaker? If so, that would theoretically allow 2x the current to pass at the same rail voltage. So instead of putting out around 2kW it now wants to put out 4kW. Unfortunatly this cannot happen so it puts out less power, but he was probably clipping it very very hard, so he could have power output to the speaker load anywhere from 4 to 8kW (I can't tell for sure). That obviously is way too much for the driver to handle for any time, and I am sure the amplifier can't do it either.

I am just surprised the amplifier doesnt have some type of overload protection.

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i think why it failed was since he didnt shut it off right away and get it a dead shoort thorugh teh wasted VC and its fun amkeing things smoke i find joy when i just smoked some one elses sub

magic smoke kicks ass

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

he wasnt pushing it to one ohm he wants it modded its my old amp and it does have a power protection but no fueses

hes jstu to impatient to wait for the factory to go off vacation so he see how much it will cost

6. 04

04 Guest

Wait, so you are saying he hasnt fused it either? Like no inline fuse between the battery and the amplifier? Or you shorted one of the integrated fuse terminals on the amplifier?

Either way is a big :nono:

7. idontgiveashit

its fused at the battery and at a fused distro, so thats not the problem, but i wanted modd it cuz its gona be in there anyways.

8. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

he might be lucky and jsut blow the intergrated fuse but since the amp still turns on i dont think so

9. Axilrod

Axilrod Guest

Good luck with Earthquakes customer service, one guy was telling me he wrote them an email, and this was all he got:

FUCK YOU!

10. Axilrod

Axilrod Guest

D2s are 1 ohm stable you fucking idiot. Not only that it's a shitty amp with high distortion, but it puts out stupid amounts of power and post high numbers in the SPL arena, and tons of people burn up D2s, so get off his back. If the speakers are frozen the amp is probably putting out DC current.

11. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

the D2 he has is not one ohm stable the new ones might be but last time i checked you had to send it in and have it modded to get one ohm stable

12. 04

04 Guest

:slap:

Not unless they are modified.

It isnt a shitty amp, it just has a higher distortion level than similar amps.

And thinking that a speaker is frozen because the amp is putting out DC is retarded, an AC waveform is going to fry the speaker at about the same rate as a DC, albiet the DC will probably blow the woofer up first because you dont get any of the cooling afforded by movement.

If his amp has more than a few milliamps of current on the outputs it is DEFECTIVE, that is the only way an amplifier puts out DC, when it clips IT DOES NOT PUT OUT DC.

13. Q (_) /\ l)

Q (_) /\ l) Lurkage

Is this the older model or the newer one with the knob? I know the first models had fuses built into the amp that you access by removing the bottom plate. You've probably already checked that though. Just thought I'd ask. Also as far a modding the amp for a 1 ohm load, the only people I know who've done that were competitors, and they would only burp the system for 1-2 second bursts. Stock they can run 1 ohm, but only suggest this for burps due to the high distortion at this rating, but the mods most competitors refer to is the power supply to handle 17+ volts. I had mine done when I used earthquake, it didn't cost anything but I knew Habeeb and the crew at EQ. it's not worth it unless you're going to compete and run 16 volt batteries.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2002
  14. idontgiveashit

okay thanks for the input, my amp is the dhc200, i guess its the D2 before the d2. But basically the same amp from what im told. Guess i wont have it modded unless i can have it done for free. I hope to hell i can have it fixed still. But i guess no one knows what it might cost to fix. thanks anyways.

15. Grouch

Grouch Guest

yeah pretty much what this dude said.

16. Jerboy

Jerboy Guest

How do you know it was MOSFET rail for sure? Diagnosis is a big part of repair bill.

Hey, I fried my UPS by hooking up a fluorescent lights like a week ago. It didn't warn against using fluorescent lights, but I guess it was designed so crappy that inductance fried it.

I had to buy a new MOSFET. I blew one 60V 50A MOSFET and I paid $5 for it.

17. idontgiveashit

that was an opinion, i called on it, they told me to send it in, does ne one know what it usually costs for diagnosis

18. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

25-100 bucks