I feel guilty

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by JohnJohnJohnson, Oct 5, 2007.

1. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

..about a number of my interests:

- magic tricks, because I associate it with dancing monkey syndrome
    - magic the gathering, because of the stigma it has in america
    - programming, because of the stigma it has in america
    - comic books and sci fi, because of the stigma it has in america

it's really unfortunate.

it's funny because now that i'm in love with this girl who makes me feel absurd / mushy / beautiful things, it's as if i am now authorized to partake in these activities.

I had to be deeply involved with a beautiful woman to feel ok about enjoying video games? :ugh:

very strange.

2. JemmaX

JemmaX New Member

so are you horde or alliance in world of warcraft?

3. JohnJohnJohnson

I never got into it. I'm characteristically obsessive. It's not a good idea :hs:

4. ahtnamas

ahtnamas OT Supporter

There is nothing wrong with any of those things. If anything, a guy who likes those things is a turn-on (personally).

I play MTG. I love Sci-fi. I love programming. I love robots, video games (console and PC), and comic books.

She made you feel comfortable with who you are, because she loves who you are.

Nothing wrong with that. :love:

Best of luck to you.

5. Abomb

Abomb New Member

john, if you start lifting weights you may find yourself drifting away from these interests :p

6. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

I love Stargate...

wanna see my event horizon :naughty:

7. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

One of my best friends, who appears to be on of the best "pick up artists" in the UK plays warhammer, D&D and has lots of models and videogames littered throughout his apartment. Channel 4 (in the UK) have been recording a documentary about him which will air in November. :hsugh:

Doing things that you enjoy is awesome, but relationships are about give and take thus you may not be able to dedicate as much time as before to the activities. I think it's important that if a person has hobbies where they might not meet many people though, that they balance it out by doing things where you do get opportunities to meet more people. My friend for example is clubbing with a large social group 4 nights a week. :o

8. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

I used to LOVE MTG :o it was a fun game. Mind you I grew out of it probably before puberty (don't take this as a stab at you, I just happened to grow out of it). I think I still have my cards from back then somewhere.

I can't even imagine playing now though, just because there were a shitload of cards back then, and now there is another 13-14 years worth of cards on top of that, it must be an expensive hobby these days to have a winning deck.

Honestly, for all the stuff you spew out into the Vag I'm surprised that you are so insecure about the fun things you enjoy. Who the hell cares if people think that stuff makes you a nerd/geek/loser? You are having fun, and life is about the little things that make you happy.

9. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

I dont think its strange at all - I think its wonderful. I think most people have weird/strange/different/nerdy things about them, and most people keep them secret - wether their games they enjoy or just little personality quirks. Finding someone you can share those with, or someone who has the same ones, or just someone that accepts them, is incredibly comforting.

10. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Like JJJ said, there's a social stigma attached to that stuff. Therefore, if he's all "zomg I love MTG", he might be disqualifying himself from lots of hot chicks he could otherwise date/bang.

Of course, people will say "well, you don't want to be dating/banging those types of chicks anyway."

And then other people will counter with "well that's how society works and if you want to be successful you have to play by the rules that govern the majority of society."

And then I would reply with a rant about how the majority of people are stupid and their "rules", which are derived from their stupidity, suck.

And then someone else would say "zomg get of teh interwebs and go talk to chicks."

11. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

Holy shit :eek3:

That was actually an excellent job at condensing the next 4 pages of this thread into one small post.

Guess we can let this thread die now :mamoru:

12. JohnJohnJohnson

I've been huge into weight lifting. However, it did not seem to affect my interests. :dunno:

I was nothing amazing. But I was proud of my progress. I went from 127 lbs at 5"9, maxing about 155 on the bench, to 150 lbs, maxing 250 on the bench (6 x 225). I had to eat 4,000 calories a day just to get that far. It was not a lot in comparison to people from the fitness community. I still flexed at myself in the mirror though :o

13. JohnJohnJohnson

Sorry I don't share the vag's horribly negative preconceptions about people.

I was saying "I feel guilt" in the present tense so that people could relate.

Of course I do not feel guilty about it anymore.

That said, I don't trust the REASONS for which I don't feel guilty about it anymore.

14. JohnJohnJohnson

A lot of relationships are about give and take. The one I'm in right now is not about give and take. Around the time it becomes give and take, it will be over.

15. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Meh, I dated a guy for four years, who was really into MUD games, D&D, those little figures, etc. I didn't share in his interests, but like any other guy i've dated, I was glad he had hobbies so he would go away and leave me alone from time to time. ;)
    Its essential to have hobbies that your SO isn't involved in, it doesn't really matter what those hobbies are (so long as they aren't destructive to yourself or the relationship, of course)

16. Jimeigh

Jimeigh Every rook and jay in the corvidae have been raven

my girlfriend played WoW, D&D, all sorts of console games (especially star wars related or final fantasy games), reads every Dune book religiously, watches Battlestar Glalactica, enjoys sci-fi and fantasy in general, listens to punk and new wave music, curses like a sailor in front of her profoundly catholic family and anyone else, on occasion wears unusual dresses, is a Biotechnology major, and is even hornier than i am.

:naughty:

17. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

MUDs were fun to back in the day (dial-up days). They were what tought me to type fast. I tried one a year or so ago at a cousins house, man was it boring :rofl:

18. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Shit, I wish I could remember what the one he played was called. This was in maybe 2001? Dragon Realm or some shit like that

19. Memor

Memor Active Member

One of my exes was like that. She ruled.

I am serious about lifting weights on what would seem like a 'meathead' scale, but on the other hand am obsessed with literature/reading, online multiplayer games like Final Fantasy XI (the amount of gameplay hours I've had on there...scary), console videogames, I DJ drum and bass music, am pretty tattooed and pierced but have worked at top notch law firms (for the summer) and whatnot, go to an incredibly geeky/brainy college, listen to all eclectic types of music, do outdoors stuff a lot...I'm all over the fucking place. It doesn't have to be one thing or the other, I enjoy everything I just listed thoroughly and love doing em all at once.

I always let girls know about the geekier stuff I do and they usually think it's cute/quirky as long as it doesn't get in the way of the relationship. If you show them that you're not insecure about your hobbies and have the ability to poke fun at yourself for it in a lighthearted way, you shouldn't be worried.

Then again this post is probably way too late in the discussion and contributes nothing :o

20. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

It's OK I'm a big CS geek deep down but I didn't bring my desktop to school so I can't play.

Thank God.

21. NCS

NCS Active Member

its all about what makes you happy. i have to play a certain amount of video games. who gives a shit.

22. Abomb

Abomb New Member

smart move

23. JohnJohnJohnson

You're the one who's not been in love right? Emotional distance or sth?

24. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

I'll sell you my magic cards.. I was gonna put em' on ebay but I couldn't fetch enough for them.. and you should all come play my MUD (www.worldofaarchon.com)

Thread hi-jack aside.. it sounds like you just are embarrassed about your passions because they stereotypically aren't what you would find in common with another girl. If you find a girl who shares the interests, that's great, and if she doesn't share them but accepts them, that's great too.