I fail at shaving v.halp

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Falconer, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

This is pissing me off so much. Every time I shave, specifically my mustache area, it never looks like I have actually shaved. I don't have this problem with my beard/cheeks/neck/etc. It's only with my mustache.

The problem is magnified if I tilt my head back (or if someone is looking at me from below because it presents that same angle). It's like the hair follicles are right there staring out and making it look like I have a little 15 year old boy's fakey-mustache.

I have tried shaving gel, foam, soap, etc. I have used double blade razors, mach 3s, shick quattros, and that 5 bladed one, and the single blade on the back of that 5 bladed one. I have gone against the grain, with the grain, and perpendicular to the grain.

The thing that annoys me the most is that after I finish shaving, it's perfectly smooth to the touch, even if I rub my finger UP against the grain. Yet when I look in the mirror I have like a fucking shadow right there, and it also shows up in pictures which pisses me the fuck off. It's like it's not possible for me to shave any closer because you can't get closer than perfectly smooth to the touch.

So am I doing something wrong or do I just have shitty mustache genes?

I've even considered plucking it all. At least that would remove the hair completely so it wouldn't still be visible after I shave, but then I'd get the red bumps and possible ingrown hairs and such.

Help OT style crew!!!

Oh I'm of northern European descent and I have dirty blonde hair (head) and brown facial hair.

2. charel

charel : explorer

grow a beard? :dunno:

tried waxing it?

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I don't like having facial hair.

I'm not going to wax my face (altho I thought about it, lol). I wax my chest sometimes and it always leaves red bumps and a few ingrown hairs. I don't want that on my face :eek3:

4. 60druidgurubash

60druidgurubash OT Supporter

laser removal. not that expensive.

5. pokpok

pokpok New Member

shave in both directions

6. KindlyCuddly

KindlyCuddly Irina Lazareanu

If it's just your moustache area then why not wax it? Plenty of women do...it's very unlikely to break out like it would on your chest.

7. w00tah

w00tah OT Supporter

shave using hot water

8. Problematique

Problematique New Member

I would consider waxing. You might get the red bumps first time, but after that anyone I know that does it says it's fine.

9. nellystyles

nellystyles New Member

there is soem stuff on the market that 'preps' the hairs before; sounds like you're using cold water so the hairs pulled in a bit? try using hot water in the sink w/ the razor warmed up in the water maybe. Otherwise, i know like people said - not too expensive for laser hair removal; hear about it on the radio here all the time

10. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton New Member

[​IMG]

stuff works amazing on razer burn and red bumps

11. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

shave in the shower, or afterwards (when it's all steamy), or wrap your face with a hot, wet towel for ~5 minutes beforehand

get a good lather going with your shaving creme

use a good, clean razor

don't keep going over the same spot over and over again in one sitting -- it promotes ingrowns

shave with the grain. shaving against promotes ingrowns as well

12. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

Good advice here on shaving, but since you said it's smooth to the touch when rubbing against the grain, it sounds like your technique is just fine, and your hair is simply so dark and coarse that even when below the surface it's visible..might want to investigate the more drastic measures mentioned for more permanent removal.

13. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.0)

i do not believe it is possible to get a close shave shaving with the grain. everyone i have talked to, from women shaving their legs, to men shaving their faces, to my own personal experience, agrees.

14. BubbaPhu

BubbaPhu New Member

against the grain works best for me. does anyone know anyone that has had their mustache removed by laser? what does it look like afterwards??

15. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

I've never not shaved against the grain.. but I used to get ingrown hairs and 1/2 assed shaves... then I switched to a shaving brush and a tube of shave cream and the difference was amazing, even using the same razor as before, I can now go a 2nd day on a shave if I need to without looking too bad.

16. BubbaPhu

BubbaPhu New Member

what is a shaving brush? and what were you using before?

17. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

Before I either used random gilette gel or grocery store shave cream

Shaving brush:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shave_brush

My first cream I used with it was:
    http://store.crabtree-evelyn.com/1410-nom216009.html

I think the key is that using the brush in a circular motion to distribute the cream ensures consistent distribution, better than using your hands, and it also helps exfoliate and lift up your hairs, including ones that are just starting to ingrow, giving you a much better shave when your razor slides over the area. People recommend $50+ badger hair brushes, but I can tell you first noticed the huge difference just using a $5 walmart boar bristle brush... now I use a brush from the body shop as I have a bit of an issue with using animal hair, it's not too bad. Body shop tubs of cream are very highly rated, although their scent isn't anything special (unlike the Nomad cream mentioned above, very masculine spicy smell)

I've been playing with a double edged blade, but most of the time I use a Gillette Mach 3. I tried the Fusion, but I didn't find it comfortable shaving against the grain under my nose, it seemed a bit unwieldy.

18. sapient

sapient New Member

Instead of using hot faucet water, try microwaving a mug of water for a few minutes to get it to near-boiling and you'll get a closer shave. Just don't hold the blade still on one spot for long or it'll probably burn you.

19. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton New Member

There's no way I could get a clean shave going with the grain. Key thing is to be consistent when you shave (i.e. everyday), I find I get a lot less ingrown hairs or razer burn when it's just a little stubble.

20. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

Wetshave.
    Merkur Hd
    Badger brush.
    Prorarso Cream.

Decent aftershave.

21. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

btw I have no intention of permanently removing my facial hair. What if mustaches become cool in 20 years? I'll need to be able to do it :big grin:

22. idesofmarch

idesofmarch New Member

Get a straight razor; you'll never want to use anything else.

23. m1lk

m1lk New Member

i have this problem as well. so im in for suggestions. though i have thought about laser hair removal.

his shaving technique is fine. seems his hair is just dark.

24. BubbaPhu

BubbaPhu New Member

what kind of aftershave do you guys use? i find that lotion works well but would aftershave be better?

25. rAERRKLR

rAERRKLR New Member

I could never just shave with the grain. I tried it before and I still had a beard afterwards :rofl:

I have quite thick facial hair and on the moustache bit, I just try to stretch the skin(by making weird looking faces) and shave very carefully to get as much as I can. Works alright but it's grown back by the next day...