I f**king hate iTunes...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rev. Johnny Vegas, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

No matter what I do unless I build a specific playlist for each individual song I cannot find a way to make iTunes repeat a single song infinitely. I guess I'm strange, but I like to listen to one song on repeat until my mood/mindset/etc changes. WinAmp fuckin' owns for this - get your settings right, double click on the file and it'll repeat until your speakers die. Not to mention it isn't all dependent on ID3 tags, which are a PITA for someone whose MP3 collection dates back to 1997.

I have found a use for my PC laptop now. Any where I take my PowerBook, I take my Toshiba laptop. It plays MP3s without dicking me around in iTunes, doesn't make me have my files situated perfectly for it. It also has this unique thing called a stop button; fucking innovative, I know. It makes it so much easier to stop listening to a song by having a stop button instead of having pause iTunes, minimize it and then close of from the dock.

And I ain't even touching the problem about ripping songs with Quicktime, which is still a shittier application than Real.

End rant.

2. Icedog

Icedog New Member

I just click the repeat button twice (a little one shows up) so I can repeat a song. Seems to work for me :dunno:

dittos on the ID3 tags.

and I disagree with quicktime being worse than real.

3. Icedog

Icedog New Member

Overall I'm really impressed with iTunes. It does pretty much everything I want it to do.

4. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Well, if you think about it, you are making a playlist when you select only one song to play over and over in winamp. You choose from an entire library to put one song on the player(playlist). This is essentially the same thing that you do in iTunes. Except, you can do multiple playlists that are much easier to access then it is in WinAmp.

I'm confused on what you mean about the pause vs stop button. They do the same thing. You can control the player funtions in minimized mode, so I'm confused there too. Is it perhaps you just aren't 100% up to speed how iTunes works?

As far as Quicktime, it is way better then Real and why in the hell would you use Quicktime to rip music?

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I couldn't have explained it any better. just keep at it. I don't care for the ID3 tags either but there are programs out there that will help you change them easier than iTunes can (even though its not that hard to begin with).

6. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

you could also simply search for it in the search field...it will be the only song in the list and the only one iTunes will play on a loop

7. purpledonkey

purpledonkey Guest

Uh, Control menu, Repeat One option.

How fawking hard was that?

8. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Damn. Ya beat me to it. :)

EXPLORE DA MENUS, MANG!!!11

9. M1k3y_all-in

M1k3y_all-in Guest

Yea my iTunes are working great for me, never have any problems at all

10. M1k3y_all-in

M1k3y_all-in Guest

basicallly it shows evrything i want it to show

11. elcano

elcano Guest

I just wish they had a context menu option on each playlist to 'copy this playlist to ipod'.
    Currently, AFAIK, you have to drag the playlist to the ipod.

12. maczter

When the iPod is attached, just control-click on the iPod icon in iTunes, and check off the boxes next to the playlist(s) that you want automagically sync'd when you connect your iPod.

13. tenplanescrashing

Click and drag is a lot faster and easier than CTRL+click, choose menu option. :dunno:

14. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Say what? I just plug in my ipod and it automatically syncs and updates all playlists. If it's already plugged in and I made changes after the fact, I right click on the iPod > update ipod. Viola.

15. maczter

maybe once. but if you do the CTRL-Menu option and tell it which play list(s) to sync, it will automatically sync those playlists everytime you connect your iPod until you set it to do otherwise.

if you change playlists all the time, then that's not for you, but i have one big playlist that fills my iPod and i rarely ever change playlists (though i do make changes to the playlist itself), so i just set mine to sync that one playlist automatically whenever the iPod is connected so all i have to do is plug the cable into my iPod and automatically fires up iTunes, syncs my playlist, and charges the battery without me having to do a thing other than just plug the cable in. :dunno:

16. tenplanescrashing

the auto sync those doesn't allow for manual changes or updating songs you don't want in a particular playlist but i agree with you. i do it manually because I find it easier.

17. elcano

elcano Guest

Ahh, well I've always prefered the manual way as in the early days I didn't have enough room on my iPod to fit all of my mp3's.

I tend to have a playlist for each album (I have a lot of very old untagged songs).
    Cheers, I'll give it a shot.

18. maczter

I just made a playlist specifically or my iPod. When I want to make changes, I just change the songs on that playlist in iTunes, then next time I sync my iPod, it makes the changes. :dunno:

19. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

i can't imagine ripping/tagging/managing 8000+ mp3s with any other program.

itunes > *

20. maczter

:werd:

i just helped an older friend set up his new mac mini that he bought to replace his now dead Mac Classic. i fired up iTunes when i was showing him around and he started freaking out telling me to quit the program and not agree to the user agreement cause he didn't know what it would do to his stuff.

i laughed a bit, then explained what iTunes was. though he is an older (50-60'ish) guy, i met him at a home theater shop here in town and he's got a decent music collection, so when i told him he could rip his CD collection to his Mac with no loss of quality (using Apple Lossless format) he got pretty excited. when i showed him the internet radio stations and he saw that one of his favorite stations in San Francisco was on there, he got even more excited. he called my this morning to ask if i could come over and show him once more how to import and burn a CD, so i guess he's sold on it now too. :bigthumb:

and for da n00bs...

if you're going to be ripping your CD collection, try going to preferences and, under the general preferences tab, go down to the "On CD Insert:" menu and select "Import Songs and Eject". this will make it so when you insert a CD, iTunes will fire up, import the songs, and eject the CD when it's donw importing them, all without you having to press a single button. :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  21. dmora

dmora Guest

Why the hell are you a macshack mod
    :uh: