I eat too much at night... anybody else have this problem?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by turbo35, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbo35

turbo35 haters gonna hate

I run out the door in the morning, and never have anything more than a glass of juice when I wake up, and MAYBE some cottage cheese if I can force myself to eat it... I just have no appetite after I wake up, and I <3 my sleep, so I just head straight to work. After a 10-14 hr day, I'm fucking STARVING, and come home and stuff my fat face.

I know eating at night isn't THAT bad, because it allows your body to digest stuff and release nutrients while your body is sleeping and rebuilding, but I really don't think ~50% of my calories should come right before bed.

Any suggestions?

2. keeler

keeler New Member

why are you so hungry when you get home from work? do you eat at work?
    some people will say not to eat within so many hours of sleeping but i've never bought into that, however eating a mass amount of calories all at once is never as good as smaller amounts throughout the day.

3. turbo35

Exactly. Like I said, I don't mind eating before bed, it's probably beneficial... but not that high a % of my daily calories.

I try to eat, but this time of year I literally have clients every hour on the hour (tax accountant) for 10+ hrs a day, no real time to eat between appts. It's all I can do to get 6 hrs of sleep..

So yeah, I'm hungry when I get home. And if I grab even 2 or 3 beers to try to relax, that's another 300 cal... 700 cal isn't THAT much for a decent meal after being hungry all day. :dunno:

4. keeler

keeler New Member

i didn't say it was beneficial to eat before bed. unless its like a cassien shake or something.
    how much time do you have in between appointments?

5. turbo35

why wouldn't you eat before bed? there's a reason it's called "breakfast"... unless you're shooting for ketosis? Really no time between appointments, I literally walk downstairs with the old client, and bring the new one up.

6. keeler

keeler New Member

what the hell are you talking about?
    eat before bed, don't gorge before bed, if you want to be really fucking cool then don't eat a large amount of carbs before bed. learn to schedule your appointments with more time in between, enough to get some water and eat a kashi bar or something quick.

7. turbo35

You said "I didn't say it was helpful to eat before bed"... it's very helpful, so you have food in your system and it doesn't drop your bloodsugar down for the whole night, which isn't very productive for muscle repair/growth. I'm talking about ketosis... sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. Does casein magically work better than any other food? That extra hour or so of digestion doesn't make all the world of difference, dude.

And how can I schedule better to fit 10-12 appointments in? Please, tell me... I'd love to know how I can add to a 100+ hr week. :rolleyes:

8. Noelting

Noelting Guest

ketosis doesn't occur until after 48 hours of starvation or low glucose levels.

9. keeler

keeler New Member

cassien would be an example of a slow digesting protein so it releases nutrients at a slower pace, thus laster longer through the night.but hey you obviously don't need advice from someone who doesn't know what their talking about. How about you just keep doing whatever you want, eat half your calories before bed, and die of a heart attack at the ripe old age of 41, but i guess youll have plenty of money from all those 100 hour work weeks, maybe youll get lucky and just stroke out and then you can spend all that cash on all teh great healthcare you will need and to pay the nurse who has to come and wipe your ass.
    theres a reason no one else has posted advice in this thread, its because no one wants to waste their time answering newb ass questions.
    your body is starving most of the day. eat a bunch at once, most of it will be stored as fat.

10. devman

devman New Member

quit being lazy and eat breakfast

11. Noelting

Noelting Guest

instead of an orange juice why not make it a fruit and protein smoothie?

12. Drewski

Drewski New Member

make yourself a shake in the morning. its quick and easy, and whey being quick digesting gets nutrients to your body quick. I have a whey and oat shake in the morning. the oats help keep me satiated for a fairly long time. add milk and fruits if ya want

plus, you can drink it on your way to work.

take things to work you can snack on quickly between clients, like nuts, crackers, pepperoni sticks, etc

13. turbo35

An evening snack is usually necessary to decrease the potential for overnight hypoglycemia and fasting ketosis.

http://clinical.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/20/2/53

Many people experience ketosis for short periods on a regular basis, for example in the morning many people have exhausted their glycogen supplies overnight, inducing ketosis which is the culprit of many cases of the infamous "morning breath."

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=Ketosis

14. turbo35

you're the one that thinks that unless it's casein, you shouldn't eat it... beef takes 3-4 hrs to digest, you really think the extra hour or two casein takes will make a difference?

you really sound like a pussy ass bitch who's afraid of a little hard work, doesn't matter if it's at work or in the gym. shut the fuck up with this n00b shit too, you're nov 07 bitch. :nono:

15. turbo35

yeah, I do snack during the day, but I'm still fucking hungry when I get home, I don't have time for a decent lunch or dinner "meal". Oats are the shit tho, I have a box of oatmeal I eat in the mornings (in the off-season), fill you up for hours. My problem in the AM isn't getting calories, but more getting protein. I can always grab a drink out of a bottle of juice, but getting solid food down sucks when you don't have time to prepare something "appetizing" and cleanup is kinda a bitch since I don't have a proper "kitchen" here.

Shakes are kinda a PITA for my situation, and I don't want to spend $$$ on the premade shit. Jerkey is good, but that shit gets expensive. :hs: I need to get a dehyrdator and just knock out a couple pounds every month or something, that would be tight.

16. Drewski

Drewski New Member

whats so pita about water/milk + whey + water bottle?

if ya drive, if you take transit or even if you walk, it works

17. turbo35

I didn't say it was impossible, but the shaker is a PITA to wash unless you rinse it out IMMEDIATELY after you're done (and I have to do that at work, where we don't have a kitchen, so I have to wash it in the shallow ass bathroom sink, doesn't even fit), they never mix quite right in those, etc...

I'm not saying it's impossible, just a pain. The problem is more eating at night and not being able to spread it out.

18. keeler

keeler New Member

and your the one who thinks that unless you eat a huge meal before bed your going to enter ketosis in your sleep.
    work smarter. maybe you should find enough self control to not gorge yourself when you get home.
    i think i'm done with this piss contest.

19. turbo35

yes. that is DEFINITELY what I said.

reading comprehesion > your life

20. Alaya

Alaya Active Member

I used to be the same way about eating in the morning, it used to make me feel sick to my stomach :o I just started with something super light, and built my way up to having a more "normal" breakfast :dunno: I love my sleep as well, so generally I would throw something together the night before so I could either eat it before I'm out the door, or in the car on my way to work or school. I'd usually pack little snack bags of stuff to graze on throughout the day as well if I knew my day ahead of me wouldn't really allow for a real lunch [sounds like your days are like that everyday].

Even if your appts. are back to back, could you keep stuff in your office for quick grazing? Nuts, bars, if you have a mini fridge some chicken slices, cottage cheese to take a few quick bites of, etc. Just sounds like you need to do more preparation for your work day [food wise] :o I understand that your appointments are so close together, but there has to be SOME form of time to sneak in a few bites here and there even if you can't take a real lunch. Hell, say you have to use the restroom and scarf down a protein bar real quick :mamoru:

21. Reign

Reign Banned

Man... my breakfast is my favorite meal. Probably because I'm on a 'get lean diet' and don't really eat much. Anyway, 2 eggs and 4 egg whites (plus chili powder and onion/garlic powder) scrambled and 3-4 pieces of toast (2 wheat, 1-2 white) is fucking delicious.

Especially since I don't eat carbs after 7:00pm. That's starting to get to me a lot... driving me nuts.

I've only been on this diet 3 weeks but I've lost 6 pounds of fat, but definitely gained some muscle mass (I'm firmer all over the place).

22. turbo35

I think the "no carbs after 7pm" thing is less about carbs, more about not eating much. I mean, shit... I could drink 6 beers and go thru an entire bag of chips, no fucking problem. Nevermind the carbs, there's an extra 1500 calories that I didn't need.

Shit, I'm hungry... I'm gonna have... a million pieces of chicken!?! Yeah... take away the carbs, and you'll power down maybe 3-400 cal if you're starving (and get a shitload of protein in the process)

23. Reign

Reign Banned

I also don't eat much. Usually 8oz of some meat and 1 cup of veggies. Then a caesin protein shake before bed.

I get so fucking hungry sometimes. I try to drink water to make it go away but that makes me piss so much.

24. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

I wear my stunna glasses at night

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.