I dunno if this is the right forum to ask, but a question about car alarms...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DjShiznit, Mar 25, 2007.

1. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

I'd like to have one installed rather soon. I'd like one that has 2-way communication (paging). We have many local stereo shops here, and one carries the brand "Compustar". Any opinions on this brand? I understand they're one of the few left that isn't owned by DEI (not that it particularly matters to me - I just want a decent alarm). I just want a good alarm. Any suggestions? 2-way paging and communication range would be the most important factors to me. I'd assume remote start and turbo timer function should be available on most decent alarms. Please help :x:

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

3. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

viper/clifford lines from dei

4. DjShiznit

Well I did some looking around and I like what I've read on the Viper 5900. The local shop that I've been dealing with doesn't carry any Viper alarms. Instead, they carry the Python 990. Their remotes look exactly the same, and they appear to have the same features. Amirite? Would the Python be a decent choice?

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yeah, i think the main diff is the guarantees from viper. like $2500 towards your insurance if vehicle is stolen. or something like that. but it has to be installed by a viper dealer. don't know if python has the same thing or not. that's the main thing that sticks out in my mine.

i personally used an Avital 4300 with the responder remotes (one python and one was viper) and had no issues. will probably use this again, if i don't find a viper for a decent price.

6. DjShiznit

OK sweet so I'm basically getting the same damn thing. Hell, even the Clifford alarm seems to be identical :hsugh: I guess I'll probably be getting the Python then. Oh, and they do have the same "up to $2500 deductable" payment as the Viper :hs: Same products, different names, WTF is the point :mamoru:

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

used to be the prestige of Viper. if you were an authorized Viper dealer, you were the shit.

except circuit city.

now any dickweed with wire strippers and butt connectors can get Viper alarms.

8. CaliforniaPlaya

CaliforniaPlaya New Member

Recently got a CLifford 50.5 and love it, especially the range. Viper, Python and Clifford are the same across the product lines. All DEI products. Just depends if you want a big fierce looking snake or a big red dog protecting your vehicle. I like the look of Clifford's remotes, so thats what I went with. Get the remote start while you're at, def worth it!!! :bowdown:

9. DjShiznit

Yeah I noticed the products across the Clifford, Viper and Python lines are identical :ugh: I'll definitely have the remote start hooked up as well (providing it supports vehicles with manual transmissions). What kind of battery life are you getting from your remote?

10. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

about a month. go ahead and buy the big pack of AAA batteries, and change it as soon as you get the low battery alert, or notice it's on the last bar.

11. CaliforniaPlaya

CaliforniaPlaya New Member

Its a different story if u have a manual tranny. It can be done, but its more work and not advised by DEI.
    Battery life sucks on the remotes, what the other poster said, about a month is about accurate. I've been playing with rechargeables for a while now for devices like this, just because I hate throwing so many batteries away. Still use alkaline in things like smoke detectors though. Wouldn't trust rechargeables in there!

12. DjShiznit

:werd: I'll just get some rechargable AAA's and keep some of them on hand. :bigthumb: Hopefully remote start will be an option. I had a Clifford G4 on a 5spd MR2 and the remote start worked. I just had to arm the car with it still running, exit the vehicle then shut it down remotely. It was annoying, but made it pretty much impossible to arm it while in gear w/ the option of remote starting again. I'll ask the shop though just to be sure :bigthumb: