I drove the entire '04 Toyota lineup today. My review:

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by DefBringer, Apr 25, 2004.

1. DefBringer

DefBringer Guest

Corolla - What do you expect? Seems to be well-made and faily reliable. Legroom is nonexistent for a bigger guy like me while a Civic can accommodate me easily.

Rav4 - Definitely an improvement upon the original Rav4, which isn't saying a whole lot.

Tacoma - The first pickup truck I've ever driven. Sticker price was $13,000. :rofl: It was like going into a time warp...the interior belongs in the 70s. But I guess it gets the job done.

Tundra- Was more than twice the price of the Tacoma, stickered around $30k. I simply cannot see how anybody other than a construction worker who needs to haul a very heavy load can justify paying this much money for a truck.

Highlander - This is the SUV that falls between the 4Runner and the Rav4. Extremely expensive, many were more expensive than the 4 cylinder 4Runner which is a much bigger truck with lots more space. However, it is the best-riding SUV Toyota makes.

Matrix - I drove the XRS model which is a 6 speed with the high-revving engine from the Celica GT-S. Sloppiest shifter I've ever felt in my life. This would be a great car if it weren't such a dog and the shifter was so sloppy. I ragged the fuck out of this thing in the Waffle House parking lot and could not get the tires to chirp no matter how hard I tried.

4Runner - big disappointment. STILL too bouncy and soft-riding after all these years. However, the interior looks loads better than the previous generation (we have one in our family). It is much bigger on the outside yet the interior space seems the same. I drove the V8 model which is NO faster than my step-dad's V6 model.

Sequoia - Let me be blunt. Nobody needs a vehicle this big. If you think you need this to haul your family around, you need to stop breeding. Absolutely atrocious cruiser...I nearly got seasick riding in this behemoth. 17mpg on the highway = should be illegal to own. Not as nice looking or nice-driving as the 4Runner or Highlander.

Camry - The very definition of blandness. Interior is a noticeable step down from the Accord and Altima. I'm shocked at how bad Toyota has let this car go. No perceptible feel of the road whatsoever.

Avalon - This is purely for geezers. We had a '97 in the family, and it was a world-class Japanese cruiser. The new Avalon looks, drives, and feels like a Crown Victoria. Like the Camry, the interior is worse than previous generations.

Sienna (the minivan) - If I had a family, this is the minivan I'd buy. Comes with AWD, Navigation, and DVD player for the kids. COMES with 4 sets of wireless headsets so the kids can watch DVDs without bugging adults. I've never seen a car with so many gadgets and cool tools. Has at least 4 regular power jacks (like you have in your house) spread throughout. It also had the nicest-looking interior of any of the Toyotas I drove.

Solara - Actually, I kinda of liked this car. Yes, it's just a Camry but the interior was nicer and the driving position was relaxed. Engine is pretty strong in this one, too bad it comes with a slushbox only.

MR Spyder - I loved this car. Yeah, it's ugly. Yeah, there's ZERO luggage space. But fuck, I loved the whole MR layout. this car rides LOW to the ground. It was even tolerable at 80mph on the highway with the top down. By far the fastest-feeling of all the cars I drove. 5 speed shifter absolutely BLOWS away the 6 speed in the Matrix.

I didn't get to drive the Celica or Land Cruiser. Those I will drive Monday, I ran out of time.

Overall: Toyota is the most boring fucking car company in the world. How ANYBODY could buy a Camry over an Accord is simply beyond my comprehension. Furthermore, EVERY sound system in all of these cars was atrocious. They all used JBL 6CD -in dash players. The sound coming from the speakers was HORRIBLE. The stock speakers in my craptastic Evo even sound better than the ones in the $45,000 Sienna.

Another observation - asians LOVE Toyota. Parking lot was FULL of them.

ps- when I finally got into my car at the end of the night, it was like an orgasm. Driving shitty cars all day reminds us of just HOW lucky we are to be driving real cars.

2. 我愛你

我愛你 Guest

I wish I were a car salesman! What a respectable profession.

3. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

ALL stock speakers suck. :mamoru:

4. cdk-rod

cdk-rod Active Member

i want a solara :o

5. 303

303 New Member

How old are you again?

6. Seeker

Seeker Brofessional OT Supporter

Out of sarcasm, I was going to ask if anything was even remotely exciting. Guess you answered the question for me. :mamoru:

Feel like doing Nissan next? :x:

7. SigmaNuClay

SigmaNuClay I'll show you my nunchuk...

damn. that shits wack. you gonna be selling em?

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Spoken like a true meddling liberal. Lamborghini Murcielagos get shitty freeway mileage too and they only hold 2 people. Should they be illegal too?

What if you have 3 kids and need to tow something? Or what if it is just you and you want a big SUV? Last time I looked, this was still America.

9. Achmiel

Achmiel Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshi

So are Toyotas is bland but reliable?

10. DefBringer

DefBringer Guest

You have two kids, you don't drive a SUV do you?

11. Scottwax

You know why? I like cars, that's why.

12. Seeker

Seeker Brofessional OT Supporter

Fixed, and yeah. :hs:

I miss the old days of Toyota. The Supra, Celica All-Trac, MR2 Turbo, Corolla GT-S(AE86), etc were great bulletproof, yet fun cars.

13. Werdness to the Turdness

Werdness to the Turdness RIP Penguins OT Supporter

almost got a Spyder last year until i test drove it in wet conditions. awesome 3rd car though

14. Scottwax

One of the cars I am looking at to replace my Accord is the Solara. Probably not a brand new one though. Toyotas may be bland but they are reliable and the Solara is their best looking car.

15. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Guest

Now go head over to the bmw dealership and I want to see your remarks on that.

IBHolyShitILoveGermanCars

or

IBIWantAnM3 :wiggle:

16. DefBringer

DefBringer Guest

If I lived my life concerned about what people thought of me or my job, I'd be a coward making $8 at a child care clinic.

17. DefBringer

DefBringer Guest

get a BMW dealership to give me a job selling and hell yeah, I'll do it! :big grin:

18. KDubb

KDubb everyday I'm hustlin'

oh, what a feeling

19. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

:rofl: @ your screenname

IBIcreateanAE :o

20. cdk-rod

cdk-rod Active Member

now that i think about it, i want a scion xB

21. anjego

anjego Invading your economy!

so, do you think you are going to have a hard time selling these cars, since you hate all of them?

22. TigerWoodsJr

TigerWoodsJr LSX Elitist Prick

Interesting that the Matrix was garbage...update this thread when you test drive the Celica GTS...I liked how that went...although I wouldn't buy it for the price.

23. Section8

Section8 .

Did you drive the tacoma 4x2? $13K? that's pretty cheap. I paid $21K for my 99 4x4 v6 :hs:

24. Loopy

Loopy What do you think happens when you get too far fro

You should have gotten a job at a Mazda dealership.

25. CowboysJunkie

CowboysJunkie Active Member

I'll bet you enjoy the Celica. I love mine, and don't care what others may think. Be sure to drive the GT-S, and wind the shit out of it. And take corners fast. It's a fun car to drive, and you still get 35 mpg. :)