A&P I dropped my SB-600..

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Enigma, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Enigma

Enigma New Member

:wtc:

Now it will power on, the Ready light will come on, but if you hit the flash button or try to use it it does not flash. It'll zoom and all that but no flashy.

From googling it looks like I will likely need to take it apart and replace the xenon flash tube. I'm not awesome at pwning electronics, so we'll see how it goes. I found a couple forum posts on the internets detailing the process, so I should be fine but who knows.

Any of you ever had to replace that bulb?

2. Spurious

Spurious New Member

You could have just gayed up the connection to bulb. Use an ohmmeter to the contacts on the bulb

3. Enigma

Enigma New Member

I think my neighbor has an ohmmeter and whatnot, I'll holla at him when I get it taken apart. Good call.

4. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

Mine fell >10ft and landed fine.

Opening it up isnt to bad, I shocked myself with the capacitor and it wasn't to bad, I think it was mostly discharged. Closing it is the harder part but it is still doable

5. Enigma

Enigma New Member

I finally took some time to take it apart and see what was up. The Xenon tube was busted in half. I just ordered a new one from Nikon for $8.15+tax+shipping. Should be around $14 or something total. I suck at soldering so I'm gonna have a friend unsolder the old n busted one and solder the new hotness on. We'll see how it goes. Either way, $14 sounds a lot better than the $130 Nikon wanted to fix it.

6. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

make sure he doesnt touch the glass or it will burn out on the first couple fires

7. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

if it's anything like a lot of other flash tubes, don't let the oil from your hands get on it either. You'll want to use something like a white cotton glove to install it.

8. Enigma

Enigma New Member

Good call, thanks.

9. Enigma

Enigma New Member

So it's fixed. Ordered the part for like, $15 or so and my friend soldered all the bidness back together. He said it was fairly complicated cause of all the isht goin on in there. Anyhow, now it works.

So.. if you ever drop your SB-??? just fix it yourself or have a friend do it - no sense in paying $130 or buying a new one.

10. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

Dropped my Sb-24 from about 5 1/2 feet onto blacktop...still works. They don't make em like they used to