GUN I dropped a gun off at a gunsmith

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bobalu, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

and he didn't give me a quote, he said he would have to take a look at it. He automatically thought it was the magazine loader or something but I told him it was the bolt which it ended up being I just couldn't get it out of the gun. He went ahead and fixed it and when I went to pick it up he wants $125 for a $300 dollar gun :ugh:. It's a remington model 11 that has been in my family for about 80 years so I want it back but in my opinion that the price is a little steep and he doesn't take credit card. Anyone know how to talk the price down? He just took it all apart and "tied the bolt back."

Cliffs: is there any way to talk a gunsmith down a price after they have fixed a gun?

2. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

Just report it stolen.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Sucks but I doubt there is any way around it unless you can talk him down. My advice is if you think he kept you out of the loop on purpose; find a new gunsmith.

4. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

Because you never agreed to a price before hand, it is a messy situation.
    He should have given you a quote once he determined the problem.

You may be able to talk him down, but otherwise you are SOL, just don't go back. If he is attached to a gun shop, then you can complain to the store's manager/owner.

5. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

ask him if you can function test it before you pay him, then shoot him in the gut and tell him you'll call an ambulance for $125.

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Who is this?

You can PM me if you'd like.

7. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Did he ask if he could perform the work? Usually you have to agree to something. If you said he could fix it then you're hosed. If he said "let me look at it and I'll tell you what it will cost" and just fixed it without telling you, then you might have some room to talk.

8. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

pm sent maybe you know him?

I asked him how much he thought it would cost but he never gave me an estimated price. He just told me he'd look at it then send me a letter which a assumed maybe an invoice of what needed to be done. So I was out of town in New Orleans and when I got home there was a litter post card in my mail box saying my gun was done and to come pick it up. I was waiting for a call for about two weeks but never got one just the card.

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Communication via snail mail? What is this, the dark ages?

I'd ask him what all he did, get a detailed invoice if possible. Let him know you will pick it up in a few days. Call around to other gunsmiths and get a price quote for the exact work. When you go to pick up the gun, get out your paper and let him know what other people are charging for the same work.

If he doesn't hack a few bucks off, pay it and get your gun back, and let him know he's lost your business.

10. mstad

mstad New Member

Sounds like this is about your only option.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Have you sacked up and told him that you dropped it off for an estimate and never gave the go ahead of any repairs?

12. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

I told him I'd be back on Friday or Saturday, he's only open tuesday-friday 9-4 and i think 9-2 on saturday. Yea I'm definitely getting it back though it's just I didn't expect to pay that price for it.

13. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Sounds to me like you learned an expensive lesson here....

14. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

he is a shitty business person and you made it a mess by allowing work without a quote. basically you can just:

A. pay the money and consider it a lesson

B. try to reason with him that he should have given you a quote before doing the work and try to bargain and then pay him and consider it a lesson

C. try to sue in small claims and spend countless hours and trips to the courthouse etc over a hundred bucks.

I'd choose B and if he didn't make a deal with me i would never use him again

15. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Should have treated it like a auto mechanic: ie: Get a price *before* any work is done, and tell him that that's all you'll pay.

16. turbodan

turbodan OT Supporter

I chuckled