SRS I drink EVERYDAY...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mr Chan, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Mr Chan

Mr Chan White not Rob OT Supporter

...have for quite sometime. Almost 3 years. I've moved to Everclear/Golden Grain b/c I can drink a couple shots per mixed drinks. I usually drink at least 6-8 shots per night. 2 drinks b4 I eat anything so I can get that quick buzz. When I don't drink I puke vile in the morning. Mostly yellow, never blood. I have shit blood on occasion. I guess I'm asking, how do I slow down. I know I can't quit cold turkey but I always end up back where I was after a few days. Anybody know what effects I'd have if I just quit suddenly? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

If you're drinking that much you should seriously look into in-house detox. I'm not a chemist but I've heard that alcohol is a sugar and drinking a lot conditions our body to need that sugar. Now I'm also not a doctor but in this same article it said that once someone is drinking a lot, every single day, simply stopping their intake can be fatal.

Now I know plenty of people that were really fucked up and drank a shit load of booze every single day and they quit but with the help of AA. Some had to go to treatment centers others did it cold turkey.

Bottom line, you should talk to your doctor about this. Tell him/her exactly what you typed here and see what they say. Any other advise may cause more harm than good.

3. G_Ranger

G_Ranger New Member

The risk for stopping that level of alcohol intake abruptly lies mainly in the withdrawl symptoms. Alcohol has serious symptoms attached to its withdrawl and therefor THOSE are what may be fatal. Your explaination of the body being used to having that sugar in it and then going without it is a good way to explain it in simple terms.

Anyone going through any level of alcohol withdrawl should always be medically monitored. Different people respond to withdrawl differently, and therefor its risky business to say how YOUR going to react. My advice falls in line with Coottie...go to a treatment center where they can medically detox you. If the symptoms get bad enough your going to want to be around a doc who can prescribe something to help you through it.

Ask any alcoholic who has been through a bad detox...its a long lonely week getting through it. Its really not possible to describe. But please do not let this be a deterrence to trying to quit...your doing much more dammage to your body then you could ever do going through a detox.

4. Mr Chan

Mr Chan White not Rob OT Supporter

I really appreciate the advice guys. I need to find a good Dr. who can help me through this. I have a lot of support w/ my GF but I really have a hard time following through. I'm sure it's more mind over matter but my mind sure is affected negatively with this. Thanks for the support. Seriously

5. bader3245

bader3245 New Member

My best advise having gone through a similar situation is just stop cold turkey. Its a mind fuck but after seeking treatment I can tell you that personally I would rather try myself than go through the BS 12 Step program they have to offer. I would recommend doing some different activities to keep for mind off it for a week or so and then when you feel the urge to grab a drink, grab a water instead. Often times the body is just used to the actual "intake of something" just as much as it is the actual alcohol.

6. Memopad

Memopad OT Supporter

Lots of hospitals have voluntary detox floors. You can check yourself in and they'll have programs and group meetings to help you out during the stay. They'll also have staff to monitor you as you're detoxing.

Alchol is one of the worst and most dangerous things to detox from. Definitely don't try and quit cold turkey on your own.

7. Chitty Chitty Gang Bang

Chitty Chitty Gang Bang OTCC

Good luck buddy. (Not the usual OT sarcasm, but a sincere "Good Luck") :)

8. jonno

jonno New Member

i wouldnt say the 12 step program is BS. it's helped fuck knows how many people and will continue to do so.

9. Eurostaunch

Eurostaunch New Member

It's rate is success is very close to the rate of success one has has if they try to quit without it. (5%-10% depending on the source but they don't keep complete records at AA). The ones who kept with it are the ones who you mostly see there though, so it is misleading. It has value if you are religious and want a group of like-minded individuals to support you. *Waits for flames and semantic arguements regarding 12-step/religion.*

The safest way that you could do by yourself is to drink one less drink a day each week until you are off. There will be minimal withdraw symptoms, if any. There is a lot more to the withdrawal then sugar btw. It is the massive overstimulation that is a result of having a significant tolerance to alcohol and then not drinking any that kills. The sedative effect of alcohol is counteracted by said tolerance as the body adapts to alcohol's constant presence. With enough tolerance, quitting cold turkey will cause hallucinations, seizures and death, similarly to a fatal stimulant overdose. Benzodiazepines and barbiturates can also cause the same type of fatal withdrawal symptoms.

If you don't have the discipline to do a slow taper then I recommend at least consulting your physician before attempting to quit cold turkey.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Your explanations and arguments against AA and other 12 step groups only address the physical issues relating to alcoholism. It's much more complex than simply drinking too much. AA does help address those other aspects and this is one reason why doctors have been utterly unable to help alcoholics with long term recovery.

However, with detoxifying the body, doctors can be life savers.

11. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

Yeah, you may want to check into a rehab facility, who knows what kind of damage has been done to your oragns and such. I can tell you though, you can recover.

Likely you can expect a few days of the shakes, maybe puking, who knows. But isn't that better than a lifetime of what you have now?

12. morphine

morphine New Member

Out of curiosity, how did you get to this point? Depression issues or just a gradual increase in drinking? What do you do, some sort of job like a bartender that revolves around the party lifestyle?

Again, just curious, don't answer if you don't want to.

13. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

It's really easy to get to that point, as I said in my thread I'm at about a case of beer a day as an average over the last 2 years, sitting close to 18ish right now.

As for how you get there, a gradual increase in tolerance, takes more to get the same effect.

14. Eurostaunch

Eurostaunch New Member

He was asking what it was that motivated you to drink enormous amounts of alcohol for 2 years straight.

15. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

He said how did you get to that point, like I said you just keep going and going.

If he meant what you said I'd have to say that being drunk was preferable to being sober, every single day of the year. My life sucked, way too much stress, I actually drank on weekends now and then before I hit it up to the extent I did, it's just kind of downhill from there.

16. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

I did pretty much the same thing about 8 years ago now. The first week or so was horrible, but after that I was fine. Now I know not to let myself get back into that same situation. I do still have a few beers every now and then, but nowhere near the amount I drank in college. Growing up has alot to do with it. I had just graduated college, got a job, and quit. It was shittier than I expected.

17. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

I'm pretty sure if you are puking bile from *not* drinking than your physical addiction is pretty far. You can die from alcohol withdrawl so please seek a doctors advice on this before going cold turkey. Good luck!