SRS I don't want it, i just need it

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by chucklenut, Feb 16, 2008.

1. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

i need some advice. i know that quitting isn't just letting go of something, but a complete change in your personal lifestyle. i always manage to get through the begginings, but I fail as I'm trying to change my lifestyle and i fall back in.

I can't do 12 step groups, the wrong people would find out and i would loose a lot. my best option is to go cold turkey but i just can't take over my lifestyle....help is appreciated :sadwavey::hsd:

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

So you want to get off drugs/alcohol but don't want to change? Hmmm...sounds very familiar.

Who are the "wrong people" and what would you lose? One must consider the loss of material things vs the loss of their life.

3. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

I don't believe my life is threatened by what I do now, but in the past I was walking a thin rope. I seem to be able to quit for a week then start using for 3-4 days then quit again.

Material things aren't really the issue, more like a place to live, my job, help with college, ect.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Nor did I until I learned that alcoholism is a progressive and fatal disease....and it's not a pretty death either. It's long and drawn out and quite painful both emotionally and physically.
    Wait so your roomate/parents would evict you if they found out you were doing something to help yourself get better? Your boss would fire you because you took steps to better yourself?

I'm calling bullshit on that. When I entered recovery, I thought I'd lose many, many things, including people. But the funny thing is, I've gained so much more than I ever thought I would. The people that left, it's not a bad thing.....they've been replaced with genuine friendships.

I seriously doubt your boss would fire you. However, in case I'm wrong, remember the second A in AA is anonymous. You don't have to tell anyone you're going nor will people in the program "snitch" on you. It's a safe place.....just go. If anyone finds out you can just play it off and say you were just curious about what goes on there.

5. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

Amen. When I was in rehab I called a friend to wish him a happy birthday. When I told him where I was he said it was the best present he could have hoped for. He had wanted to talk to me about my drinking but didn't know how. There were others who I thought I had bullshitted too.