SRS I don't want a girlfriend...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Regicid3, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Regicid3

Regicid3 RIP Bubba Kitty... I love you.

Having a significant other isn't something I really care to have in the next 6 years of my life. When I'm alone, I don't secretly get depressed because I don't have a girlfriend or that I don't get laid regularly. Am I the only one? I told a friend of mine "I want to be happy with myself, before I'm happy with somebody else." Does anybody else feel this way?

I'm a 19 year old straight male, I'm not a virgin and have never been in any "real" relationship. Is there something wrong with me? Is it wrong that I don't believe something is wrong with me? What is it with societies standards that you must have a loving relationship with a member of the opposite (or same, depending how you swing) sex?

Why can't I just be alone?

...I don't know.

2. Speed_Demon1965

Speed_Demon1965 New Member

Dude it's not that strange to not want a girlfriend. I was like this all throughout high school. Now I'm 19 as well, but I feel like I've been alone long enough and am starting to get bored with being alone. I spend nearly every single day of my life sitting around being alone and bored. I want to find someone, but not because society says it's the "cool" thing to do. It's something I want in my life.

It's not strange to feel the way you do, but those feelings could change just like they did with me. As long as you are truly happy with your life and who you are, that's all that matters.

3. carl icahn

carl icahn Guest

i dated for the last 3 years...now im feeling just like you are...i feel like ive missed out on just spending time with myself and doing things i enjoy...i get lonely every now and then but i just find something to keep me busy...your not weird, its just stages of life....im sure youll meet someone one day and youll change....

4. Tehrod

Tehrod New Member

Same here through high school, now that i'm in college i'm digging the dating scene.

5. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

You are doing the right thing focus on yourself and your career first

6. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

It's your life man, live it how you want it.
    :bigthumb:

7. daaarn

daaarn New Member

no problem at all for not wanting a gf right now. for me, in the last couple of months all my friends suddenly got gfs, so i've somehow ended up as the "single guy" of the group. but i honestly don't care. i just graduated college and intend on going to grad school in a year (while just about all my other friends are taking an extra year or so of undergrad), so i'm kinda in a transitional phase right now. and b/c of that i just dont see the point in finding a girl when i know it couldn't possibly last. my logic has always been that these hs/undergrad relationships never last, so i'd prefer not to get involved in them and just focus on what i gotta do in the mean time.

8. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

Nothing is wrong with being alone. Relationships do take a good amount of time and sometimes you do just need to focus on yourself.

I took a break from the dating scene to get my college life in order and it actually worked out really well. When I broke up with my GF and stopped chasing women. After 9 months (The whole school year), I got everything in order, I met all my goals and then some!

9. Barky

Barky woof

I treasured the time I was alone. I've been in a relationship for 2 years now but I can tell you that you really grow when you're left with yourself.

10. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

Actually I completely agree with you on this.

11. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Dude, I'm a 22 year old female, and my main focus right now is not a boyfriend. I can care less. I have other things going on in my life I need to prioritize, not to mention, I'm at the point right now where I'm sick of dating all the low life guys without jobs and kids in tow, and those seem to be all I've attracted the last couple of months. Being single certainly doesn't keep me up at night worrying.

12. Kirby McSpic

Kirby McSpic New Member

Unless you're dying to get your heartbroken and your feelings toyed with, then yes you don't want a girlfriend.

Glad to see you didn't make the same mistake I did.

13. Regicid3

Regicid3 RIP Bubba Kitty... I love you.

I'm not saying I'm a good looking ladies man, but I'm confident if I put a foot forward I could start a relationship with somebody. That's why I think there's something wrong sometimes because when I'm all alone just thinking to myself. These aren't things that come to my mind. Maybe I'm too optimistic.

It's really my fault that I'm alone right now. One day during high school, I just stopped being social and only spoke to my really good friends. I mean, sure I do have friends through these friends. But I only have three people in my life who I see regularly. One can only take so much drama.

14. derivative

derivative OT Supporter

I feel the same way, 19 as well, but the reason why I'm not looking for one now is because I just don't feel that I'm ready yet. I want to get school done with first, start my career, and settle down a bit before I decide to pursue on one. You're still young, you will definitely have a different mind set several years from now.

15. TheGetUpkid

TheGetUpkid New Member

After spending the majority of my college career with my high school girlfriend (now my ex), I want and probably need to be alone. I don't regret anything though, And I'm learning its okay to be by yourself. You shouldn't have too feel as though you need a significant other... thats not healthy at all.

16. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

after my last relationship, i feel exactly the same way as the thread starter, except i dont wonder if anything is wrong with me. If you dont want an SO, good for you. What does "society's standards" have to do with anything? I dont even think that really exists in this situation. Its probably just your imagination.

17. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

I'm 19 as well. I don't necessarily want a girlfriend, but I do want a fuck-buddy. I've never had a serious relationship either, but at the same time i'm still a virgin. I've had some opportunities to lose my virginity, but I was too pussy to act on them.

18. k1ko

k1ko OT Supporter

i believe its normal and healthy. Ive had girlfriends, long relationships, and everything in between. I think its still important to have relationships with other opposite sex but there is no need to be in a relationship unless its something you want. Im 24 and actually happy with being single and having all the freedom that comes with it. Of course I miss the companionship of someone always being there but it makes you stronger as a person to rely on only yourself.

Think of it this way. You have your WHOLE life to be in a single commited relationship with someone. What is the rush?

19. JS1

JS1 sup

I feel the same way now. I had a girlfriend almost all the time since 3rd grade, got married at 19, and 15 years later, the marriage is in shambles (going through a terrible divorce), and lately I had a girlfriend but she was too pushy, so I broke it off.

I think my problem was that I was too afraid to be alone, and now that I am alone, I feel great. So it's not abnormal at all to want to be alone.

Maybe I won't like being alone later on, but fine I'll deal with it then. Right now I'm not interested in a relationship at all, so join the club.

20. Kirby McSpic

Kirby McSpic New Member

As long as you don't become socially awkward. :hs: