GUN I don't understand what ammunition grain means v. help a nukka out

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SpicyMcVoodoo, Sep 4, 2005.

1. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

So I got some 9mm 147 gr. ammunition. The guy who sold me my XD subcompact recommended it to me in place of Glaser safety ammo. Well, I get home and start looking around the internet a bit, and I hear some cautionary things, ranging from optimum performance is had with less than 124 gr. all the way to never use 147 gr. At any rate, I don't know what the fuck grain is or what type of grain ammo to buy. :hs:

2. soccaian

soccaian New Member

a grain is merely a unit of weight.

3. soccaian

soccaian New Member

1 grain = 0.06479891 grams

4. soccaian

soccaian New Member

and this is in reference to the weight of the bullet

5. daviid

daviid cell tower tech

and not how much powder there is in the case like one gun store told me

6. grain is the weight of the bullet.. 147 seems pretty high for a 9mm, but itll do some damage, no worries :eek3d:

7. mrbill

mrbill New Member

as stated, it is a measure of weight. i've read and been told that 1 grain is equivalent to the weight of one grain of wheat, and hence the name.

bullets and powder are both measured in grains, but the gr weight listed on factory ammo boxes references bullet weight.

8. mrbill

mrbill New Member

spicy, just buy a variety of different weights and brands and see which works best in your gun and go with that.

9. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

It's a heavy subsonic that was designed for optimal suppression in silenced weapons. Obviously the trade off is less than optimal power, so after a brief blitz of popularity when first released, most people have realized there are much better choices unless all they want a quiet shot in their MP5SD.

10. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

147 is not the best choice for a subcompact as the heavy weight means you won't get much velocity with a very short barrel, and higher velocity means more reliable hollowpoint expansion.

11. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Not true. The two best performing Gold Dot rounds in 9mm, per FBI and other testing, are the 124 gr. +P and the 147 gr. loadings.

12. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

After doing a lot of research into this question, advice regarding whether or not to use 147 grain bullets in a 9mm is ridiculously inconsistent. I've seen people say the exact opposite of this. Of course, most stuff on the internet is people talking on forums, so you never really know who to believe.

13. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

shot placement is still the key.
    If you put it where it will do the most damage, I think you'll find that 147gr bullet is a good performer.

14. footratfunkface

OH MY GOD. When we're talking about ballistics, don't fucking bring up shot placement anymore. I think it's common sense that you have to hit the target for it to work. Ballistics is about making a bad shot into an okay shot, an okay shot into a good one, and a good one into a great one.

People act like if you shoot someone in the sweet spot, ballistics don't apply, or you should ignore them and just learn to shoot people in the fucking head and heart. For crying out loud, you can ALWAYS make a perfect shot more perfect by increasing the hole it makes in that perfect location.

15. :werd:

you get the best equipment you can for a situation, because theres always a margin of error. If everyone always made the perfect shot, which is tough in a fast-acting, high adrenaline situation, everyone could carry a .22

16. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

But seeing as how I'm concerned about shooting neighbors through walls, isn't low velocity a good thing because it means less penetration? Forget about knock down power, best expansion, etc. I'm only concerned about not killing other people on the other side of the wall. Is 147 gr. good for this? Does heavier bullet mean more or less penetration?

17. footratfunkface

I would consider the risk of underpenetration if you HIT your target a more pressing issue than the risk of overpenetration if you MISS your target.

18. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

Meh, I find it hard to believe that some bad guy would continue his quest to steal my stuff while I'm pumping bullets into him, or even shooting at him period, regardless of whether the bullets are not going as deep as they could be.

Most criminals are looking for the easy score, and someone shooting at you is the opposite of easy. Granted, there are some crazy, determined, violent bad guys out there, but I'd prefer to take my chances of under penetrating said bad guy than kill my next door neighbor.

Aside from the feeling bad, I'd probably be charged with negligent homicide and most definitely be sued for wrongful death. In any event, I'd be financially ruined and possibly in jail. That's not as bad as being killed by an intruder, but it's damn near it.

I see underpenetrating bullets as a good compramise between dangerous enough to incapacitate a bad guy and safe enough not to endanger the neighbors. :dunno:

19. striker754

striker754 Chillin

7000 grains in a pound. you do the math.

Probably should research before you buy firearm stuff.

20. thats the wrong attitude.. you shouldnt be shooting someone unless you plan on killing them.. you're just setting yourself up for thousands of dollars in legal costs, and probably going to get yourself killed.

21. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

Maybe I was unclear...

When I was talking about negligent homicide and wrongful death, I meant from accidently killing a neighbor on the other side of the wall.

As far as the criminal himself, I would be shooting to kill. Or are you referring to intentionally using under penetrating rounds as not shooting to kill?

22. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I'm not saying it isn't a good performer, I'm saying he wouldn't get enough velocity out of a short barrel to make the round as effective as it should be. I'm sure the FBI wasn't using guns with 3" barrels when they performed their test. I use 124 gr. +p in my Glock 26, but use 147 grain Ranger Talon ammo in my Glock 19 and my SIG P228 cause I don't trust the heavy ammo in my short barreled gun.

23. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Im still a gun super noobie, so plz bear with my question, I know this started out as a discussion for grain in a subom but what about those of us that have/plan on buying tactical 5" weapons? Does the velocity still end up being drastically slowed as compared to other grains or does it not play as pivotal a role with the longer barrel length?

24. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

:hsugh:

25. footratfunkface

So, you're saying that you expect better odds of killing your neighbor after the round passes through a wall and into him than you do of killing the guy in front of you with no wall to shoot through? You're starting off with an expectation of failure there, boss. That's the underlying tone of every self-defense post you've made so far this thread.