I don't understand these things like "wait for conroe" or whatever

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by joechunkybutt2, Jul 8, 2006.

1. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

I need to learn what the latest sockets or chipsets or whatever fit into the best motherboards, and what technologies are actually useful and which ones aren't (SLI). I've tried a google search, but nothing has come up. Anandtech.com doesn't really have a beginner section.

Are there any sort of links or guides that could explain that stuff to me and places that have timelines of when these new things are coming out?

I want to build a new computer soon, but I keep reading people saying to wait.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Conroe is a name for Intel's new model of CPU, like Pentium or Core Duo -- it might also involve the use of matching motherboards, much like a Centrino computer is a computer using a mobile Pentium 4 along with various other Intel parts. Supposedly Conroe is going to be released at the end of July, which would make it fairly silly to completely replace your computer before Conroe goes on-sale. You can expect the big prebuilt computer companies to snap up most of the first production batches though.

AMD, on the other hand, is switching to a new socket called AM2 (their previous one was called Socket 939) but their CPU architecture is staying more or less the same. That's not a bad thing though, their CPUs kick ass right now, especially when used in pairs. Not to mention that AMD doesn't have to pay royalties to Intel anymore, because their x64 architecture wasn't developed by Intel. (At least I think it wasn't -- we'll know if I'm wrong when Jolly tells me I'm an idiot.)

nVidia's SLI (or CrossFire, which is ATI's version of SLI) is useful if you want to have twice the graphics-rendering power right now instead of waiting a year for the next model of video card to come out. The only problems with it are the number of card slots it uses, and the fact that the next model of video cards will have more built-in special effects that the current video cards provide -- having two current video cards still won't give you those new special effects.

www.tomshardware.com is a good place to get info on what new technologies are and what they're good for, but the metaphoric gun pointed at my head is making me want to tell you to ignore the opinions and benchmarks that you'll find mixed in with the technical info; apparently, Tom's Hardware is rather biased when it comes to comparing competing technologies.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would essentially not listen to deusexaethera... And tomshardware is the most biased website ever...

4. deusexaethera

Do you say that because you're being your normal self, or because in fact I didn't get a single thing right? Because most of that info I heard right here in C&P.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

many things you say are wrong. For example you imply that AMD had to pay royalties to intel... This has not been true since at least the 80386.

AMD CPUs are failing miserably against conroe in the benchmarks. I highly doubt that your "AM2 doesn't change much, but that's okay" is a valid statement.

Crossfire and SLI are quite different -- from a technical standpoint, AND a performance standpoint.

Toms Hardware is also critisized quite heavily for having biased and non-scientific reviews. I like Intel, and even *I* find THG to be a pile of crap.

But yet again you prove my point... You read someone on the forum, take it the wrong way, and then mis-quote it as if you knew what you were talking about.

Look up "heresay"

6. joechunkybutt2

some tomshardware is bad?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

all tomshardware is bad. I wouldn't even go to that site.

8. Hartman

Hartman New Member

AMD and Intel fanboys in here already.

simple answer: the release of conroe will drive the prices of current processors down.

9. Clarity

Clarity New Member

they are indeed.

this man speaks the troof, wait until conrow comes out, even if you're not going to get one.

10. deusexaethera

I'm curious as to whose benchmarks are being used in the tests that show Conroe beating the shit out of AMD's chips.

And actually, what I do is I read someone's post in the forum, interpret what they're saying based on my own experience (which has been good enough experience to keep me from living in a box under a bridge, unlike how you protray my experience to be) and draw a conclusion from it. And as far as hearsay being unsubstantiated second-hand information, I should point out that you do a pretty miserable job of supporting the claims you make -- on the ground that "anybody who knows what they're talking about knows you're right", as if that's an acceptable excuse. You claim to keep your finger on the pulse of Intel, but you have yet to post a single link to one of their whitepapers. Frankly, your pomposity combined with no backup whatsoever makes it very hard to take you seriously when you spout off your "more correct" information.

11. Hartman

Hartman New Member

I understand loyalty, but you're arguing about processors. Give it up.

12. deusexaethera

Who's arguing about processors? I'm arguing about whether Jolly is really the ultimate authority on everything.

13. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

His Authory > Yours.

But in the end, it's like watching 2 retards fight. Whomever wins is still a restart but makes for some great entertainment.

*gets popcorn*

14. deusexaethera

Heh. At least I'm a good-looking retard. :fawk:

Seriously though, the only times he's managed to "authoritatively" overrule me is when it comes to Intel vs. AMD or nVidia vs. ATI debates -- the winner in those two categories changes every few months anyway, so all his superior information demonstrates is that he spends way too much time reading industry websites. (shrug)

15. joechunkybutt2

i really just want a site that has a beginner guide to learnig this stuff

16. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

lol.