GUN I Don't Think It's Worth It To Have a Gun at Home

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SpicyMcVoodoo, Jul 22, 2004.

1. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

As a matter of self defense, I don't think it's worth it to keep a gun at home. The likelihood that a situation in which you'd need a gun to defend yourself is far less than the likelihood of you accidently wounding or killing someone by mistake, not to mention someone else using the gun on you or others.

What is a situation that would call for you to need a gun at home? I can only think of one. Someone is invading your home and trying to kill you.

Note, it's not necessarily better to have a gun even if someone invades your home, because as soon as you pull that gun, you've just escalated the situation to him vs. you, now one of you will have to die if the other lives. Very dangerous for yourself. The odds that the person inteded to kill you in your home are probably less than them leaving without killing you. And who says you'll be able to get to the gun in time?

Now, I've just listed the one and only situation which would call for you needed a gun, which is a person entering your home with the intention of killing you. But how many situations can you think of in which having a gun would be a disaster?

Hundreds. You think someone's invading, but you're wrong. You shoot someone innocent. Someone you know, or a family member, takes the gun and shoots someone. You pull the gun out on an intruder, then turn the situation deadly when it could have otherwise ended without disaster. And remember, if you fuck up and use the gun wrongly, it won't necessarily just end up with someone dead or wounded, your ass could wind up in jail.

It seems the pluses of having a gun are outweighed by the minuses.

2. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

Those minuses can be minimized by proper training and practicing. People who just buy a gun and think they are safe are irresponsible. I have spent hundereds of hours in the range and classroom taking tactical courses. I am confident in my abilities and they already have been tested. I was broken into at my old apt. and was glad that I had my trusty Winchester 1300 defender 12 gauge shotgun there to defend me.

3. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

You pulled a gun on the intruder?

4. ryanbum

Yes.

5. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

and what happened?

6. ryanbum

I instructed him at gunpoint that unless he complies with all my commands, the 9 .38 caliber buckshot that were loaded in my 3" magnum shot shell would turn his head into mist. I got him laying on his stomach with outstreched arms and held him there until the authorities arrived.

7. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

Was he armed?

8. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Should of shot him.. you would of been on the news as a hero and they wouldnt of filed charges

9. Y2kAccord

No one in Texas has ever gone to jail for shooting an intruder. My gun can be used for defense if needed, but its in the house and I primarily use it for a range gun. When not in use its locked in a quick access safe in my nightstand

10. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

And that's pretty much only in Texas. Most other states say that the intruder has to pose an immediate threat to your life before you can legally kill them.

11. Y2kAccord

In my opinion some guy breaking into your house a 3am is a pretty immediate threat.. wouldnt ya say :big grin:

12. KiddX

KiddX Tigth as Piston In Ferrari Engine!

when you say that you have just escalated the situation, you make it seem as though your announcing yourself before you have you gun aimed at him. obviously he didnt know ryanbum was coming after him with a shotgun, otherwise he would have A. run away (the most likely reaction) or B. been ready for a shootout. and some of u have big bright shiny lights on our weapons so that when we do aim at this intruder, who has come into our home with the intent of harming, stealing from, and/or killing us and our families, will be blinded and unable to point his weapon. your point about things that can go wrong is valid, but only applies to people who do not know how to handle their weapons. i think that if everyone knew how to properly use and carry a gun, there would be a dramatic decrease in gun related deaths, intentional or accidental.

13. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

WHo determined this likelyhood? If you are going by that stupid old kellerman study, its been debunked many times over. And statistics mean shit when judging human behavior. MY guns are personally stored safely, and only one gun, my duty pistol, is kept loaded... and that is in its holster so I know its loaded (I never unload it). I am very safe when I handle my firearms, and I check to see if they're loaded if I dont know.

so all this crap about likelihood is just that, crap.

right, thats the only reason you *need* to keep them at home... but why would you want to keep them anywhere else?

this is simply not true. most of the time when a person has a gun pointed at them they back down quickly. You are als assuming the otehr guy is also armed with a gun, which he probably isnt.

you are right on teh one point tho, unless the gun is kept within your reach at all times, you may not get it in time.

Making up a bunch of hypothetical situations is silly. All of these can be prevented if your guns are stored properly, and in your control... and you know when it is legal to shoot and when its not legal.

14. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

Guns are bawwwwdd. :greddy:

15. I guess you'll never understand why some of us are armed until you become a victim yourself. All the women in my CCW class once shared the same views... until they were beaten up and raped.

You can choose to be prepared or you can choose to be a victim.

These guys didn't fight for nothin.
    http://www.jdlawhon.com/why.html

16. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

I'll rather have a dead robber, than hide in the corner and hope he doesnt rape me.

17. ryanbum

He sure was... A big assed kitchen knife and he was high on crack (Not joking). He entered through my roommate's window. It was 4 am and I woke to him trying to get into my roommate's window. Thank god I woke up and realized what was going on. My roommate (and bestfriend) could be dead because he was oblivious to what was going on. I had to break down his locked door and turned on the light. I discovered the turd hovering over my roomie. That's when I went into action. I didn't see an immediate threat (the knife was in his pants) but I reacted as trained. I racked a shell into the breech and started giving verbal instructions very loudly. You never know how you are going to react until you are in the situation. I have been on both sides of the gun (the other being a bank robbery) and I can say with confidence that you don't know how you will react until that situation arises. I also know that my training kept me alive in both situations. So train up

18. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If you don't feel you should have a gun in your home, you're welcome not to keep one in your home.

Your opinion only becomes a problem when you try to dictate whether or not i can keep one.

19. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Some people will NEVER understand, no matter how hard people try to explain to them. Gives a whole new meaning to "being out in left field."

20. Y2kAccord

This sums it up for me

:werd:

21. Parabellum

Parabellum Molon Labe!

:bowdown::bigthumb::bowdown::bigthumb:

22. Diesel4mee

Diesel4mee U.P. > L.P. OT Supporter

be safe or sorry. its a good idea only if you know what u r doing.

23. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

I agree. This thread isn't about gun control. I never suggested that it should be illegal to have a gun at home. I simply said that, IMO, it's not worth it to have a gun at home.

Of course, when weighing the pros vs. the cons, you have to take the situation into account. For example, if you live in a high crime area where you're likely to be broken into, then maybe the pluses outweigh the minuses. If, however, you live in a place where the odds of you being victimized are next to nil, then the minuses may outweigh the pluses.

I'm just saying that the decision to own a gun is a relative one, relative to your circumstances, that is. And when it comes to circumstances, I find that often people are not honest with themselves. Many people live in extremely safe neighborhoods, have small children at home, don't have any formal training, yet have guns because they have this imaginary scenario of a crack head breaking into their home.

Honestly, realitically, that's not going to happen. And risking your life and the lives of others based on some far-fetched figment of your imagination is stupid, IMO.

24. ryanbum

I lived in a nice neighborhood. A crackhead broke into my home. What does that mean??

What is the definition of "realitically"?

25. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

There is no realistic to consider. The chances of it happening may be lessened, but it could still happen and, in my experience, does happen. And i refuse to be the guy on the news saying "That kind of thing never happens here...".

We seem to agree that making the decision to own a firearm requires the dedication to learning how to properly use it, when to properly use it, and how to properly store it. And absolutely, if you're not willing to do these things, it is irresponsible to keep a gun in your house. Children of any age will of course require that you spend more time and effort constantly updating your home response/storage plans. (Something i've always preached and am now learning first hand. ;))