SRS I don't really know where else to put this

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Johnny Burners, May 19, 2005.

1. Johnny Burners

Johnny Burners Indeed...

I'm 23 years old, and a high school dropout. A few years back, I made a bet with a girl who was like my sister. If I lost, I had to agree to get my G.E.D. Well, I took the test, and passed. That was that.

In February 2002, I became a father. At this time, I was involved in some dirty ways of making money. That summer, I met a girl who had a son of her own and fell in love. I moved in with her and developed a great relationship with her son. We have been together ever since.

Summer 2003, I began to feel the pressure of actually having a family. I decided to take my G.E.D. and enroll in community college in the fall and make something of my life. Not one person could have imagined how well I would do.

It is now 2005, and I am a 4.0 student with 5 classes left. Still, I can't help but feel like this is all for nothing. No matter my G.PA., I feel like financial aid and scholarships will not help me. I feel like schools will not accept my transfer, and I'm scared. I have no idea what to do with respect to the process of transferring to a 4-year school.

I guess my problem is that I am not in school for myself, but for my family. I have worked hard as hell. My question is, are the chips stacked too high against me? I have nothing else. No high school education, no extracirricular activities, no money. I am the only person in my family to go to school. All I have are my grades.

Is that enough? Do I have a realistic shot?

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You can transfer to many great schools if you have a 4.0 in JC.

You have more than a realistic shot. You will get into a decent school. Period. Apply to as many schools as you would like to attend. Speak with an official at your school about this. They should assuage your fears.

Good job on turning your life around.

3. Johnny Burners

Johnny Burners Indeed...

That really means alot. Thanks.

4. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

You have more then a realistic shot... I wouldn't be surprised if you'd have an easier time transferring into a 4 year accredited program then someone right out of high-school. This is the way that many of my friends got into the big Uni here.

The nice thing about your situation is that you get the cake AND you can eat it too. You're doing this for your family which is great. But if you just take the time to realize it, the education benefits you directly. Everyone around you isn't getting any smarter by osmosis you know.

5. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

wow dude you've made an AMAZING turnaround! Very impressive! :bigthumb:

with a 4.0 i'll be shocked if you DON'T get into everywhere you apply, and i'm talking maybe even Ivy league if you want to go that route. My friend had a 4.0 and got into Harvard as a transfer - it's not easy once you get there, will take'em 3 years but he's at Harvard and no employer turns down a Harvard grad.

my roommate's brother has a 3.7 and got into Stanford.. so anything's possble.

I had a 3.2 and got into UC San Diego (but I got the CA resident bias as well)

6. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

a lot of the state schools in CT are good with financial aid..try southern, eastern ct state u, a lot of people who arent the typical "college" age go there and theyre good schools, give it a shot :)

7. Johnny Burners

Johnny Burners Indeed...

Thanks guys :)

I was actually thinking either Fairfield U. or Quinnipiac. Wesleyan and Yale don't accept transfer students in the spring, so I'll have to wait to apply. You guys have really fucking cheered me up. Thanks.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I was going to transfer to UBC in Vancouver... and they literally DO NOT LOOK at which school you come from. A 4.0 from X country junior college is literally equivalent to a 4.0 from harvard for them. And they don't care about activities, etc. for trasnfers. Its just about college GPA. They are kinda the extreme in this regard, but it shows you just how good it gets for you.

You could definately go to UBC. Possibly on scholarship. Its the harvard of Canada.

9. You are going to do absolutely great, that I have no doubt. You don't see it, but I can see it from reading your post that you have the ability to make this happen, and to make it happen for yourself. You're the master of this ship and you deserve this, so find your way!

10. johan

johan Active Member

:rofl: really? I always thought the places back east had more cachet.

Personally I found UBC to be a cold, cold place, even during the hottest summer.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Man, that place seemed the bomb to me. I really, really wanted to go to UBC.

12. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Keep on loving and helping others. I can only encourage you to expand and explore this road that you have taken. Don't let your destiny in life depend on others, create it yourself.