MMA "I don't like guys that come to BJJ/submission wrestling comps and don't try to sub"

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sammo, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I've heard this a few times, most notably from chechen. I don't agree with it at all.

The UFC is one thing, because most people classify it as sports entertainment. Let's at least keep submission wrestling as a pure sport, if people want to win on points by scoring and stalling then so be it.

For example - 2000 Olympics wrestling match between Rulon Gardner and Karelin. Karelin loses to a point, Rulon stalls Karelin and wins the match...should you complain about him stalling? No, so there is no reason to expect people to risk winning for your excitement.

2. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

3. Sammo

Sammo New Member

nice post, lots of nice points you had there :sadwavey:

4. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I hate trying to roll with those kinds of people, but I guess a win is a win. I know if I'm up a few points and could lose, I stall to keep my self out of trouble too. :dunno:

5. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

any sport you play the athlete with the most fans is usually the most exciting competitor.

home runs
    ko's
    submissions
    slam dunks
    long touchdown passes or runs

in the nba, fans dont like the spurs or the pistons becuase they play a slow defensive game.
    in football, very few cared to see the steelers win a title with theyre grinding slow-paced and methodical type of play.
    baseball, fuck it, its slow all around.
    boxing, mayweather is fast and could be exciting, but he's content to pattycake you with a jab for 12rounds to win a decision.

in mma, two of the least liked fighters koscheck and tim sylvia are content with grinding out decisions and rarely make a concerted effort to end the fight.

so thats why i like kenflo, he finishes fights at 155 :hsugh:

6. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

oh and theres nothing wrong with winning on points. its just not usually exciting.

7. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

sherk makes a points win pretty exciteing :hs:

8. lets take this farther.

If it's about competition and not entertainment, why do we have time limits (which are what enables you to win without finishing)?

9. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

not so much to me. :hs:

10. Sammo

Sammo New Member

well wrestling used to have to no time limit but for reasons of practicality they enforced limits so competitions could be more easily held, as far as I know

11. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I play the long game anyway, I don't really care about tournaments or time limits or points. I go to tournaments to roll with different people with the brakes off. but I don't go to a tournament to be entertaining either. :dunno: fuck it. everyone has their own jiu jitsu, who am I or you or anyone to judge someone else's expression of the art?

12. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

i don't think you have to go for subs to be aggressive.. i like watching an aggressive style of bjj.. it doesn't have to be super fast or anything.. watching a guy spend 3 minutes working his grip can lead to an exciting match

13. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I like to be entertaining :hs:

14. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I suppose it depends on the stakes. In the sports I compete in, I tend to be more aggressive and "go for it" even if it means exposing myself to a greater chance of losing, because that way is a lot more fun. Since I compete for fun, I try to do what I can to maximize it. If huge $$, national championships, etc were on the line, then I'm sure I would be a little more cautious (if by doing so would increase my chance of winning).

15. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

brazilian jiu jitsu is about making people tap. if you compete without having that intention then you dont belong there, and should find a different sport.

i dont submit everyone i compete with, but if I see something, then I'll at least go for it. Yes, if I'm up only 2 pts, and theres a minute left, I will stall. But I'm not going in there with the intention to take people down and just hold them in place.