I dont know where to start on my del sol

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Scifi, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Scifi

Scifi New Member

anybody have any suggestions on what i should put in my car first, so far everything is stock except the intake and the ecu chip. I also took out the power steering and the air conditioning to make room for a bigger engine but know im not sure where to begin shocks, brakes, clutch, shifter, engine where somebody tell me

:eek4: :sadwavey:

2. elekt

elekt New Member

autotrader.com -> sell used car

3. Louis M

Louis M New Member

+1

4. JwM

JwM Guest

what do you want out of the car? start with that stuff first.

5. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

You realize the power steering and a/c are connected to the engine currently in your car, right? Please tell me you know this....
    Swap in a B18C1 with Type-R valvetrain and pistons, a set of cam gears, DC Sports 4-1 header, 2.5" exhaust, Type-R or Skunk2 intake manifold, and a VAFC/FPR. Take it off to get dyno-tuned, and enjoy.

6. IS300_TRD

IS300_TRD Active Member

for a cheaper swap find a b20 motor and put that in. i would recommend you leaving the a/c and power steering on because its a pain in the ass without it and this is probably your daily driver. for the money you'll spend on intake and all that stuff you can put a vtec head in which will yield alot more power. If you're planning to go turbo, then forget all that intake and header which only gives you like 5-6 whp that costs around 500.

7. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Yeah, if you can find a B20B and put some B18B1 cams in it, you should be yielding some decent numbers. Still not anything close to a nice VTEC set up though.

8. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

If you're going for power I'd just skip the motor swaps and go turbo. Much cheaper (unless you buy motors out of some black guys trunk) and you'll get much more gains. Check out homemadeturbo.com.

9. zhiniibob

zhiniibob CLUB ASTROS NOW OPEN OT Supporter

dont waste your money on a del sol..

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

trooth

11. elekt

elekt New Member

+649

... the number of posts I have more than you.

So stfu newb.

12. atomic punk

atomic punk pretty hate machine

13. T.A.M.

T.A.M. New Member

Put the power stearing back on. Even if you swap to a B series engine you will still have room for them. The B20 is a good choice if your not going to race it. B20 bottom ends dont last long at high rpms. There are no oil squirters for the crank like there are on V-tec engines and this may contribute to there poor high rpm performance. A trubo will not be that much fun on sohc non vtec engine, no torque. Do what you want its your car.

14. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Hush, newbie.

15. T.A.M.

T.A.M. New Member

I'm not going to get in a e-fight with you. You sound like you know a couple things here and there but just what you have heard from others. If the best dis you can think of is that I'm a noob? Also, DC sports headers are netorious for cracking, I have had to send three back to the manufaturer that I sold in my shop. Go with a good brand Apexi, Mugen ext. DC is great about sending out new ones but who wants to go without for a couple weeks when you have to send it back? Brand names dont always mean good parts!!!! Personly i have a Mugen 4-1 and other then in hangs hella low its great. The rest of your advice including the cam choice (if on a budget) is pretty good.

16. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

My wife has a Del Sol, and if it was mine, the first thing I would do would be to put a cage of some kind in it so stiffen up the chassis. With that targa top, it's really flexy. I've noticed it the few times I've driven it. I've hear that with a good suspension/tire setup with a cage, you can get it to pull over 1g on the skidpad. And turning is more fun than straight line.

17. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Who wants to shell out $900 on a header that doesn't do much more than even a Type-R header? I rescind my DC Sports statement and say just go with a damn Type-R. It's just as good.
    And no, I have personal experience with that exact set up, in that exact car. Thanks.

18. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Sorry for the double post.

The reason I told you to chill on this is because the oil squirters don't mean shit. Hell, most people end up crimping them off as it is. All they do is function to keep your pistons a little cooler (they're piston squirters, not crank), and in the end, don't really do anything except rob you of crank power. It doesn't have much to do with high-RPM performance at all, it simply minimizes expansion of the piston, which isn't a big deal at all, especially if you opt for a set of forged pistons.
    The B20 is plenty fun if you're going to do it right. Otherwise, it's just an expensive pain in the ass. :) You can't just stick a stock bottom end on there and expect power from it, because the B20 indeed can't rev very high due to its poor rod/stroke ratio (an old, beat-to-death argument, but it still holds true). In order to take full advantage of the VTEC system, you need to utilize an 8000 rpm or higher rev band. Otherwise, you're just making noise. If you can effectively build the bottom end of your B20 and get some nice, forged 84mm pistons, you're good to go.

19. Ronin

Ronin Guest

del sol to do list:

engine swap with high performance innards and turbo ready

i dont know much about civics and how their engines do but id say a twin turbo set up, a single would be fine if twin isnt friendly

new trans and shifter and gears

wet nos shot, if i was running a civic id be wary about this sort of thing, especialy if you were to go DP.

you could then of course do all the weight reduction stuff that civic people like to do.

thats pretty much the basic stuff.

oh and about 6 hours of dyno tuning.

20. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Don't listen to this guy.

21. Ronin

Ronin Guest

thats the stuff that basically everyone does when theyre doing a civic, i dunno, im more of a domestic fellow so ill admit im wrong when i need 2.

:dunno:

22. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

Ive heard from alot of b20 people that they suck at the sleeves and most of them are just time bombs, i hope its not true because at the moment were building a b20bvtec with a gsr head, turboed and with a 75 shot in a crx. i would reccomend that setup along with a walbro 255lph fuel pump, forged pistons (JE like we have) rods (Eagle or crower, we have eagle) type r cams and a good manifold, supposedly for max power on a street car thats turbo the optimistic exhaust would be 3-3.5" tubing and a nice can not too big.

BTW i dont like del sol's id rather a crx any day personally.

23. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

wait wait wait... turbo on non vtec has less torque than an n/a vtec engine?

wtf are you talking about

turbo sohc > n/a any easily installed honda engine for torque

24. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

WTF are you talking about? He's talking about the lack of displacement in the tiny sohc engines that Honda offers. The only practical engine series with sohc came no bigger than 1.7L.

25. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

true, but even a turbo 1.5 will make way more torque than a b20 or even an h22...

hell, my turbo sohc 1.6 made 190 ft lbs on a very mild turbo set up.. a b20z is in the 140 ft lbs range