SRS I don't know what to do with my life

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Nato, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Nato

Nato New Member

Help me out.

I lucked out after graduating with a degree in bio by getting a job with the tech transfer office at the university. They are converting me from what was supposed to be a 1-2 year internship into a full time position. The pay is ok (~40k), especially for where I live, and they would like me to start working towards an MBA (which would be free due to being an employee of the university). This all sounds fantastic and I should be grateful, especially in this economy, but there are problems. I'm not a natural business type due to my personality, and I'm really sick of living in this town.

I've been thinking recently about going back to school for a year and becoming a med tech. It seems like a pretty stress-free career, they make decent money, and you can pretty much get a job anywhere you want, which is a huge plus for me. It's far from glamorous, however, and I almost feel like I'd be selling myself short if I opted for such a thing.

So what do you think? Should I stick with the current job, get the MBA, switch over to industry and work my way up the potentially lucrative strategic planning/marketing/business develoment ladder? Or take the easier, lower stress avenue and have the freedom to live wherever, more time with the future kids, etc. :hs:

Work to live or live to work?

2. Daddy O

Daddy O Active Member

Well let's see. America lost 1.2 million jobs in the last 3 months, and the future outlook doesn't look much better. So, should I throw away a fairly good job that would also pay me to get a Masterrs Degree, or go vegetate at the UNI and wait and see what the job market is next year?

This is a no brainer.

3. Nato

Nato New Member

If I was considering anything other than healthcare I would agree with you 100%. Med techs are in very high demand.

4. sundance424

sundance424 New Member

Gotta be something wrong with that picture. Jobs in high demand are usually like that because there is something stressful or undesirable about it. Go for the easy job for now that the economy is shit and work towards something a little better when things perk up.

5. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

Follow your passion. :dunno:

If you don't enjoy your job, it's not worth having IMHO.